iPhone XS Max Anyone noticing MAX display is dim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kp98077, Sep 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Whenever I restore an iPhone from backup the screen starts to dim for a while. I think the processor under load uses a ton of power and starts to heat up too much, and the display automatically dims to reduce power consumption. Check again in a few days and see if it's better. Also check Accessibility>Display Accommodations to make sure nothing weird got enabled during your restore.

2. 007p macrumors 6502a

My Xs is dimmer in low light conditions compared to my X. Little bit annoying, might have to set a min brightness.

I didn’t do a restore so there’s no weird setting happening - I have even checked and compared all the display/accessibility settings to make sure they all match.

Not a massive problem, at least I know it’s not just mine.

3. S Khan macrumors newbie

In all honesty, I don't know if it is an issue.

It's the second day of usage, and it is less yellow than day 1. I don't really know what it is I should be looking for, it looks OK to me! What are your thoughts?

4. Ortiz83 macrumors 6502

I’m glad I got a great working Max out of the box.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

6. kp98077 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kp98077

So how should I get around this reinstall not from backup !

7. jiangning macrumors member

Mine is a little brighter than X at maximum brightness. However, color contrast is flatter than my X and it’s more yellow-ish. Overall, I prefer my X’s display (except for size, of course) but will get over it as long as I stop doing side by side comparisons

8. kp98077 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kp98077

Yikes. So should I reset my phone ? As a new phone?

9. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

I noticed a difference right out of the box on both the Max models I got. At first I thought it was brightness but it's a difference in color tone\reproduction. It looks different. But after a couple days I'm used to it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2018 ---
    I wonder how many people create issues that didn't exist in the first place based on stories they read and anecdotal posts by others on Macrumors?

Scary how many people also vote this way....

10. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

Just another reason why I always set up as new

11. MichaelColley macrumors member

No just make sure all your settings are in order. Sometimes in the "Display accommodations" area there may be some options reducing your brightness.

12. kp98077 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kp98077

Thanks, I did notice 'Reduce White Point is ON', does this matter? seems much bright with it off, but will that eat up battery?

13. MichaelColley macrumors member

Well my friend Reduce white point is why your display is so dim. I mean logically yes, turning it off will eat more battery life but outside it will look really dim. So its your choice, just know that your iPhone is not broken and that setting is what is the problem.

14. kp98077 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kp98077

yes good to know its always one little setting!!! Good time of year to audit the phone! Now need to decide if to leave data roaming on, another strange thing, wouldn't think in the US, with Verizon I would need this...

15. lewchenko macrumors regular

I compared an XS and an XS Max in the store today and the XS was a little brighter than the Max (both on full brightness). Would only be noticeable compared side by side like that, but still noticeable. Wife thought the same too.

What I did notice though was the white backgrounds on both Apple phones made my Samsung s9 Plus screen's "white" look somewhat grey.

That shocked me as I thought my s9 plus was a good screen until that point.

I tried changing the s9 plus screen settings to different oled characteristics but none matched the XS or XS Max.

16. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Is your phone hot? When the iOS devices get hot, the display dims to cool the device.
    If your iCloud backup is restoring, then that's normal.

17. Mikemcmahan macrumors newbie

Mikemcmahan

Same problem for me- try triple clicking the right button. When I transferred from my last phone I just have had enhanced dimming activated, this cleared it up for me.

18. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

My MAX is brighter than my X when on its lowest brightness setting.

19. Synomenon macrumors 6502

Mine is dimmer. I only noticed because I used my X for navigation all the time and outdoors / in the car the screen would be bright and readable. In the same use / environments this Xs Max is dimmer and sometimes hard to see unless I raise brightness all the way up.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    Triple-clicking which button?

20. cborash18 macrumors newbie

cborash18

its the reduce white point thats on on your phone. check out the video.

21. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

I don't even know how these people turn this feature on accidentally and not realise it.