Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I ordered a Space Black Stainless Steel w/ Black Sports band 42mm Apple Watch from AT&T using their 20-month installments plan. I opted to add the device to my Unlimited Plus plan for $10/month, but instead of showing it at $95, it is showing my plan at $115.. plus the additional $10/month making it $125/month. In my 2nd AT&T e-mail with an update on my order status, it showed a separate phone number for my Apple Watch when it should share the same phone number as your original line. Anyone else having this issue?

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
ATT site was awful to try and order through. gave up and went straight to apple.

I actually did Apple first for the same reason, but finally got through on AT&T and then cancelled with Apple because of the 20-month installment plan and $55 discount.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I ordered a Space Black Stainless Steel w/ Black Sports band 42mm Apple Watch from AT&T using their 20-month installments plan. I opted to add the device to my Unlimited Plus plan for $10/month, but instead of showing it at $95, it is showing my plan at $115.. plus the additional $10/month making it $125/month. In my 2nd AT&T e-mail with an update on my order status, it showed a separate phone number for my Apple Watch when it should share the same phone number as your original line. Anyone else having this issue?
I chatted with an AT&T representative, who assured me that mistakes like the monthly access fee being quoted at $40, rather than the correct $10 would be corrected and we would not be overcharged.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I chatted with an AT&T representative, who assured me that mistakes like the monthly access fee being quoted at $40, rather than the correct $10 would be corrected and we would not be overcharged.

Thanks for your reply. Was your watched assigned its own phone number in your 2nd e-mail?

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I am embarrassed and annoyed to say that my chat lasted so long, but the model I wanted was sold out at the end of the chat.

Which model did you want? Unless 38mm, all the 42mm that were there at the start are still available.

Reactions: Peter K.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Which model did you want? Unless 38mm, all the 42mm that were there at the start are still available.
Yes, thank you, I just noticed that. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before, but I wasn't seeing any 42mm available. But just now, using the AT&T app, I was able to select any 42mm options that they had earlier. The hold up for me now is that I was planning on getting a 42mm stainless, but not in space black.

I don't know whether to wait, or not and I am also secretly hoping that the Hermes models come to AT&T soon. Does anybody reading this know if the Hermes models from the earlier series were sold by AT&T?

CBSubliminal

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Florida
I was able to order 2 Apple Watch 3's for me and my wife. I added the 2 devices to my unlimited plus plan for 10 each for the access fee. Why do I have 2 phone new numbers attached to the watches?

cope24

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I was able to order 2 Apple Watch 3's for me and my wife. I added the 2 devices to my unlimited plus plan for 10 each for the access fee. Why do I have 2 phone new numbers attached to the watches?

I had the same thing, diff number assigned to watch. Hopefully they can change this when we set it up

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Each SIM gets its own phone number. Even data only devices like ipads.

The AT&T NumberSync service will handle the watch receiving calls at your phone's number.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/numbersync.html

Yeah, but they've charged my unlimited plus plan an extra $20... and that's before the $10 wearables fee. My unlimited plan went from $95 to $115 because they opened up a second line for my watch and then charged a wearables fee for it too.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yeah, but they've charged my unlimited plus plan an extra $20... and that's before the $10 wearables fee. My unlimited plan went from $95 to $115 because they opened up a second line for my watch and then charged a wearables fee for it too.

Okay....

I was addressing the confusion about phone numbers that others had as well. You'll need to address the plan setup stuff with AT&T.

BTW, the carriers seem to always f'up something at a launch every single year. That they've messed up again doesn't surprise me.

CBSubliminal

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Florida
Each SIM gets its own phone number. Even data only devices like ipads.

The AT&T NumberSync service will handle the watch receiving calls at your phone's number.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/numbersync.html
I see thanks for clearing that up. So I see the deal was for 55 Credit 30.00 for the 3 free months and 25 for the activation fee .

Since I ordered 2 watches will I get 55 for the second activation watch as well ?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I would think so, but AT&T would be who can answer the question. From: https://www.att.com/wearables/#

Offer details
$55 CREDIT OFFER: Subject to change. Must purchase eligible device/have eligible devices and activate with eligible service. Eligible Devices: Requires (i) Apple Watch Series 3 purchase at full price, on installment agreement, or bring your own (excludes ones purchased on 2-year agreement) and (ii) HD-voice activated iPhone 6 or newer. Eligible Service: Both Apple Watch Series 3 and smartphone must be on same account with postpaid wireless voice & data services. (i) Apple Watch Series 3 requires min. $10/mo. when added to eligible shared plan;(ii) Smartphone requires min. $50/mo. for a new eligible plan (may be less if on an existing eligible plan). Bill Credit: Account and service on your line must remain active to get up to two credits ($30 service + $25 activation) w/in 3 bills. No activation credit if already waived. Offer Limits: Max. of 1 activation credit/waiver per device. One credit offer per eligible Apple Watch Series 3 activation. May not be combinable with other offers, discounts, or credits. Purchase limits as low as 2 apply. Other restrictions apply. Device Limits: Apple Watch Series 3 requires AT&T NumberSync to access the AT&T cellular network. For SMS/MMS messaging, the synced iPhone must be on and connected to the AT&T network (via cellular or Wi-Fi connection; if using Wi-Fi connection, smartphone must have Wi-Fi calling activated). iMessage must be enabled on your iPhone. See www.att.com/numbersync for details. Usage charges apply.

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
I tried to order but black stainless doesn't even show as an option on the mobile shop site. But Apple seems to still have them available. I'll give it a few hours and see if they correct it.

Edit: It doesn't show black ss in 38. Only the 42. I don't know that a larger face is worth it.

Last edited:

thehype31

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
Didn't even try with ATT based on bad previous experiences ordering from them direct paired with the wording of the 55 saying that you don't need to buy from ATT direct to get the credits. However, I could see the value if you wanted the installment plan- I'm kind of surprised you couldn't set up an ATT Next payment plan through Apple like you can with an iPhone.

warm_blood_rider

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
When ordering my Apple Watch, I first tried the AT&T site, but when I tried to add a data plan, it said none were available. Perhaps because I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan and two lines. I gave up and ordered directly from Apple.

Reactions: Cnasty

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Didn't even try with ATT based on bad previous experiences ordering from them direct paired with the wording of the 55 saying that you don't need to buy from ATT direct to get the credits. However, I could see the value if you wanted the installment plan- I'm kind of surprised you couldn't set up an ATT Next payment plan through Apple like you can with an iPhone.
Yes! Why only iPhones and not iPads, Apple Watches, etc.?

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Same with EE in the UK. Absolute shambles.
No pricing announced until today, but I ordered the watch through Apple direct.
Thankfully they came good and are giving us a free watch addition to our existing contract with unlimited data for 6 months, and then it's £5/month with 10GB, rolling monthly with no tie-in.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Yes! Why only iPhones and not iPads, Apple Watches, etc.?

I believe because the 20-month installment plan with AT&T is not a Next plan. It's similar in that you pay installments with zero interest, but I don't believe they offer it for trade-in. You just have to pay the balance up front if you get rid of the plan. Although I wish this was on the Apple page so I could order directly through them, I can understand the confusion it might cause for consumers assuming it's a Next plan.

Reactions: Peter K.

AethyrZero

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
Those that also ordered their S3 from att, what were your shipping dates?

Mine showed ships between 9/22-9/29. This is different than the iPhone 8 message that states guaranteed by 9/22.

Does anyone have a date that implies delivery by 9/22 for their watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.