Anyone ordering new iPhone online?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 196josue, Oct 3, 2011.

1. 196josue macrumors regular

I'm not going to camp overnight. Too crazy for me. I'd rather sit at home and anxiously wait until my new phone is delivered. For those who will get the new phone no matter what comes out, are you crazy enough to camp out for it?:rolleyes:

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If I decide to get it, will be ordering online. No more of this pick-up-at-the -store nonsense like last year. Ridiculous. I'll wait for the nice FedEx guy to hand it to me in my pajamas.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

ordering online is recommended either way you go! :rolleyes:

4. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

Same here. I will sleep in and relax until it is delivered. I've always wanted to camp though. I just don't want to have to deal with all of the crazies. haha

5. utl768 macrumors 6502

leaning this way also

do you just connect it to itunes to activate and stuff?

6. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

With iOS 5, no activating via iTunes. Its activated now on the phone instead. I have beta of iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 and its pretty easy to do.

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I think I will go to Vodafone on the release day and try and pick it up that way again. Last year there was a ticket system with only a small que so I'm hoping I can do it this way again. I'm really impatient with stuff coming in the mail!!

8. madridista59 macrumors regular

I've yet to order an upgrade online, so I was hoping someone could help me with this question. Will the phone be shipped to my billing address or will I be able to have it shipped where ever I want? Like I'll be at work and I just know I will not be able to get through the day to get home to see my phone. I'll probably cause an accident or two on the drive home.

9. utl768 macrumors 6502

will it automatically apply my existing unlimited data and number to the new phone and will it deactivate my 3gs sim

10. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

I would just hate waiting in line not knowing for sure if you are going to be able to get one. Ordering online allows you to relax. :D

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I say do it once if you've never done it before, just for sh-- and giggles.

I'll never do it again though, that's for sure. I mean, I pre-ordered for a reason. So I didn't have to wait in person. But to pre-order so you can wait in line for 4 hours to pick it up? Never again.

12. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Yes. You specify your plan settings when you pre-order, and then as soon as the phone is activated the plan switches over.

I'm ordering online if at all possible. And then waiting in line to scalp at least one on ebay.

13. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

I believe it should. When you order online it will ask for your current phone # etc.

14. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

15. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of trying to buy an unlocked one and sell on it ebay. I think I could get close to double what I would pay for it. MAYBE.

----------

Rumors! The plot thickens....

16. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

If it's the legendary iPhone 5, I will be camping out and pre-ordering online for the first time.

If it's the 4S, I'll only think about buying it when my 3GS breaks down.

17. james92se macrumors 6502a

Do we have any reason to believe Apple will sell factory unlocked ones from the get-go?

18. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

It would make sense, considering the phone will likely be a world phone.

But we have no evidence to support the idea.

19. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

Not specifically. But You can now buy all iPhone 4's unlocked now. So I think they might have them unlocked day one, but I'm not sure. :D

20. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I avoid the mall at all cost. I prefer to do most of my gadget shopping on-line. I bought my 3G at the Apple store but it was well after the hype had calmed down and it was a spontaneous "I want it right now" decision.

I plan to order the next iPhone on-line. I don't care enough about having it first to wait in line for it for several hours. Last year I ordered it online and I actually got it a day early- that made me feel bad for all the campers in a way.

21. james92se macrumors 6502a

So, out of curiosity, if Apple sells factory unlocked ones - where is the money to be made by "flipping" them? Couldn't anybody just buy them factory unlocked for the same price?

22. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. But if people go crazy and buy up the new iPhones (such as iPad 2 and iPhone 4 did) people could either wait until it would be delivered, in which some may be delayed weeks, or could pay more to get it earlier.

23. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

depending on when they actually release it I was maybe going to buy a second one just to flip it to a desperate buyer.

24. Jarrahammer macrumors member

Jarrahammer

hey guys question here.
    i was thinking about ordering online as well. Im on a family plan on ATT and have one upgrade available. thing is my family mixed up all the upgrades so the upgrade is on another line on the plan. I know they can solve this problem at the store, but i want to avoid the lines and camping. So if i use the other line's upgrade can i just put the sim card from my 3gs into the new one? what would i do with the sim card they send with the phone?

sorry for the long post, i was going to start a thread for the question but saw this one and decided to reply.

25. gta50419 macrumors 6502

camp out? no
    Ill just go the afternoon of release and get it.