Anyone own an 11" MBA and iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ann P, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Ann P macrumors 68020

I really like portable devices, and often carry them in my bags/purses. Currently own an old 13" Macbook that I would like to sell in order to purchase 11" MBA. Do you own both the 11" AND Mini? Does it feel like the two would overlap, so to speak?

2. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

I had an 11" MBA.
    When I bought the iPad Mini I upgraded the MBA to a 13".
    It is a better combination for me.

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think it depends on your use case. I think there's a lot more overlap between the 11" Air and the full-size iPad. If you use the Mini as a consumption device primarily, then I think there's enough differentiation that it makes sense.

4. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

no, but it would be the road warriors dream combination.

I've got an 11" and travel with a Nexus 7 or full size iPad....smaller is better when on the road!

5. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

Great question.
    IMHO, an iPad Mini would be more suitable with a 13" MBA. Basically, I think that the 13" MBA would give you great screen size to work on. Then, if you want to just read something or watch a movie, etc. (entertainment), or look at your schedule quickly, the iPad Mini could be used. For some people, the 11" MBA replaces the larger iPad 4.
    If you plan on buying an iPad Mini, they are probably going to come out with a new one this year.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Me! I got my 11in in 2010 and my mini last year. At home I use my mini most of the time. I definitely want to upgrade to a retina 13 to burn blu-rays.

7. SusanK macrumors 68000

I have both. I love the 11 inch MBA. I use the mini for three apps that are important to me. With that exception I don't use the mini.

My MBA is a very stable unit. The mini is flaky so that may be the reason. Luck of the draw with electronics.

8. yinz macrumors 6502a

Yeah, there is a bit too much overlap. The MacBook Air is so portable and so much more powerful than the mini, that you'll probably choose to use it over the iPad Mini at home. If you are someone who goes out and about a lot and use it for reading more than for productivity, then the mini will probably be your go to, while your Air will collect dust. I like the second post where he commented on upgrading to a bigger MacBook. That combination makes more sense to me. I use a 13" MacBook Air and bought an iPad mini recently and the combination is great. I read and surf on the iPad, and do more productive things on the MacBook. The bigger screen and better battery life is an advantage for me.

9. mikkker007 macrumors member

I have both, 2013 air/iPad mini... let me first say, Ive had mac's for nearly 10 yrs.

I sold my 2012 Air for the new Haswell (haven't looked back, Battery !! Alone...)..bought Mini 3 months ago...

As far as usage goes, I use Mini for reading the newspaper ($4.99, instead of $45 plus for printed )

playing games and reading book's.

The Air, I use for Photo editing, iTunes........ And Video stuff...
    Both, live comfortably together. They Offer, different things. Find out, what they "Offer" to you......
    Just a thought... I love 'em both..

10. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

I'd probably get the full-sized iPad instead.
    Better for note-taking (let's say, in classes), larger screen which allows it to be about as large as a A4 paper sheet. And the 1gen-ahead processor.
    Regarding the 13" MBA it sounds pretty good!

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

what she means here is she does work on her MBA and plays angry birds on her mini
    ;):p

i have an 11" MBA and i love it! when the new ipads/minis come out later this year I might get one depending on how things are going. definitely just for fun though.

also i just bought an Everki laptop bag for my laptop and there's a spot for an iPad. doesn't that mean i HAVE to buy one?

----------

lots of students certainly use the ipad this way but do remember that if you are required to take exams on your laptops you NEED to check with your schools IT department and make sure the software they use is compatible with the ipad. my guess is that it isn't although I am sure they are all working on this...

for example the software they use in law schools, like examsoft, is not compatible with iPads or tablets. just be aware.

you could always take notes on your tablet but just make sure you have access to a "real" computer for tests.

12. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I have both. I know there are people that use the iPad for content creation. That's great for them. But I hate typing on the glass touch surface and think external keyboards are kludgey and I miss my Mac apps. But I use the iPad for RSS, most of my reading and video watching. It's great.

The 11" MBA is great for traveling and one can get a great deal of work done with it.

They are both small enough that one can travel with both. It's a good combination.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I have both, and use both. In general, I use the 11" for writing, serious research, a lot of reading, and work; the iPad, I tend to use for surfing, checking emails, - including work emails - and general reading, much of which - but not all - is not work related.

Although I have a nice Logitech keyboard on the iPad, I find that in general, I use the iPad more for 'content consumption', and the 11" for what is euphemistically called "content creation''.

14. rekhyt macrumors 65816

... A lot of research... on the MacBook Air 11"? I find it quite difficult to do that when I'm writing. With my old MacBook Pro 15", I could have two pages side-by-side and still be able to write, but this is definitely impossible with the MacBook Air 11" (Even a single page is straining it).

15. Outdoorsben macrumors member

I have both (late 2010 MBA & 16gb mini). I use the MBA when need to get stuff done, be it typing or intense web browsing. The iPad Mini is a consumption device. I take it to work and stream pandora, songza, youtube, and anything else. I also use it in the car to and from work or when i'm sitting out on my porch enjoying the sunset with an airplay speaker or working around the house.

16. Suraj R. macrumors regular

No, but I own a 13" MBA and full sized iPad and I think they work great together

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I travel a lot, so portability is a key issue for me. When I first switched to Mac, in 2008, I bought a MBP, but, while it was a great computer, it wasn't really comfortable to travel with as I found it on the heavy side.

In September 2010, I bought a MBA (13", the 11" wasn't introduced until later that year) and loved it; a terrific computer, it was easily the best computer I ever owned. Earlier this summer, I decided to get a new MBA - the old one still works perfectly well, my brother is set to inherit it, but three years is my cycle as Applecare is close to expiring, so I ordered a new 13" MBA CTO.

Unfortunately, it wasn't ready by the time I had to return abroad to work, (I work abroad), and so, as an emergency stop gap measure, I bought an 11" MBA refurb. Initially, it was more as a sort of try out, as I wished to see what the 11" was like.

As it happens, my eyesight is quite poor, and I wear glasses, and - while I loved the form factor of the 11", and the utter portability of the device, I must admit I feared that the screen would be too small for my purposes, as I write and research quite a lot. Much to my surprise, I have to say that it is a superlative little computer; blazing fast, the screen is surprisingly good, and the memory (I got a version with 8GB RAM and 256 SSD) delightfully capacious. Actually, you can call me impressed.....

18. daijholt, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I've got the 11" Air and an iPad mini and I use each of them in separate situations. My MacBook is a secondary computer for the house, and my iPad Mini is for use at work since I do a lot of walking around and it's super portable.

I do occasionally take my Air to work, but only if I have something that needs doing that requires a desktop, since the Windows Laptop we have in the office is cack.

In a nutshell, my MacBook Air was bought for the express purpose of being portable around the house, where I may move around but will sit down to actually use it, and my iPad Mini was bought for being portable at work where I'm constantly moving and don't have time to sit down to use it.

19. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

I've got an iPad that I use only when traveling. I use my Motorola Droid 3 as a 'Hot Spot". I've used this for about 3 years now, and I really hate it. The iPad is not a computer, and I just don't like the touch screen even when I use a stylus. I've gone through two ZaggMate keyboards and am currently using a Logitech keyboard and using the ZaggMate as a screen cover only.

Anyway, Last night I finally bought a MacBook Air. I hope to get it this week and transfer a few files from my Souped-Up 5,1 Mac Pro. The Air is an 11.6" 5,1 2012 model with only the 64GB SSD. I can't wait to have a real computer when I travel rather than the iPad.

Lou

20. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I own both and it is the best combination for me thus far. I've owned MacBooks, Pros, and Airs of various sizes and thickness. I don't have a long commute, but I'm an English professor, so I am always carrying papers and books around. I think this is a great setup if you carry a lot of other stuff or just want to travel extremely light. I hook the Air up to a display at home and the office, so the screen size isn't an issue and I actually prefer this form factor when working in a cafe or on a plane/train.

My son took over my iPad 3, which always felt a bit redundant with the Air. The Mini stands out as a more distinct device for me. It is not great for Word processing but is perfect for email, tracking tasks and appointments, and research and reading. I thought I would miss the retina display more, but I get so immersed in my work that I don't think about it. That said, I would likely upgrade when the Mini and/or Air go retina.

21. abuleban macrumors member

I've got'em

I have an 11" air & just got an ipad mini. Used to have an iPad 2, liked it, but would prefer the mini for books & being more discrete. Nice combo, so far so good!

22. muyaad, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  23. abuleban macrumors member

just realized I should change my sig, oops!

24. PrincessV macrumors newbie

I have both (2013 Base model MBA & iPad mini 4G).

The MBA is secondary to the home PC. I use the mini at work & carry it in my purse. It allows me to take notes for my field inspections & serves as a backup to the system I use at work. The work laptop is too cumbersome in the field.

I use the MBA at home, in different rooms & when my husband has the home PC tied up. When I want to expand my notes, I use the MBA. I'm still deciding if I'll make the MBA MY main computer.

I use "Things" for iPad & MAC & Apple's calendar because these APP's sync across both devices.

There are times when I may have both devices going at the same time: Playing Candy Crush on the mini then surf the web on the MBA, while my lives rebuild on the mini.

Having both devices work well for me.

25. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

I'm not thinking about taking exams on the iPad, just to take some notes whenever I can. I will even buy an Adonit Jot Pro for it.

Also, the 11" MBA seems a bit too small for some tasks. And has lesser battery life. I'd go for the 13" in order to differenciate it from the iPad.