Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I'm not thinking about taking exams on the iPad, just to take some notes whenever I can. I will even buy an Adonit Jot Pro for it.

Also, the 11" MBA seems a bit too small for some tasks. And has lesser battery life. I'd go for the 13" in order to differenciate it from the iPad.

just make sure you play with them. that's what i thought too until i actually used it. i'm a structural biologist by day, law student by night - 11" is perfect for both. (for me anyway)

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
just make sure you play with them. that's what i thought too until i actually used it. i'm a structural biologist by day, law student by night - 11" is perfect for both. (for me anyway)

IDK, I want a 15" rMBP. It's more expensive but it has great specs, so it won't get outdated that easily. Prefer to pay more upfront rather than update my laptop sooner.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Using mini at Starbucks now. Will hug and love my MBA when I get home. Crazy about my MBA.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Have both and love both, although the MBA gets a lot more use. The mini is really only used when I just want to lounge around and surf the web.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
IDK, I want a 15" rMBP. It's more expensive but it has great specs, so it won't get outdated that easily. Prefer to pay more upfront rather than update my laptop sooner.

definitely your prerogative!
i of course suspect that people are a bit quick to call their computer "outdated"

it's all relative, right? my work hasn't changed much since 2009. but the computers around me have...so as a result my macbook was getting "outdated" but the reality was i was more motivated by how awesome the new airs are;)

that baseline 15" rMBP is still $400 more than the most expensive air...

but you're right - for me when i decided that the 13" air wasn't for me the choice came down to 11" air or 15" rMBP. ultra-portable, or ultra-powerful.
since i couldn't decide between the two i did what i always do when i have a choice like that: went with the cheaper one.

all things being equal i go for the lesser expensive option.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
Anyone own an 11" MBA and iPad Mini?

definitely your prerogative!
i of course suspect that people are a bit quick to call their computer "outdated"

it's all relative, right? my work hasn't changed much since 2009. but the computers around me have...so as a result my macbook was getting "outdated" but the reality was i was more motivated by how awesome the new airs are;)

that baseline 15" rMBP is still $400 more than the most expensive air...

but you're right - for me when i decided that the 13" air wasn't for me the choice came down to 11" air or 15" rMBP. ultra-portable, or ultra-powerful.
since i couldn't decide between the two i did what i always do when i have a choice like that: went with the cheaper one.

all things being equal i go for the lesser expensive option.

It's just that the rMBP is so expensive. Plus I'll be getting an iPad
But boy is that thing awesome. A bit undecided but probably going for the most expensive one.

And... the rMBP IS portable. The MBA is in the ridiculous level :p

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
It's just that the rMBP is so expensive. Plus I'll be getting an iPad
But boy is that thing awesome. A bit undecided but probably going for the most expensive one.

And... the rMBP IS portable. The MBA is in the ridiculous level :p

agree on all counts. like i said - make sure you play with both which it sounds like you obviously have.

for me the 13" rMBP threw a monkey-wrench in my entire plan...it's also a great machine. although i don't pay for first gen tech.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
agree on all counts. like i said - make sure you play with both which it sounds like you obviously have.

for me the 13" rMBP threw a monkey-wrench in my entire plan...it's also a great machine. although i don't pay for first gen tech.

Yeah I played with the rMBP for one hour or so.
The thing holding me back is the price of it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the price goes down for $200. One of those for $1600 would be cheap! :p

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Yeah I played with the rMBP for one hour or so.
The thing holding me back is the price of it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the price goes down for $200. One of those for $1600 would be cheap! :p

well the base retina is "only" $1500 - less if you're a student...
it's the 15 behemoth. starts at 22??!!

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
well the base retina is "only" $1500 - less if you're a student...
it's the 15 behemoth. starts at 22??!!

Obviously the 15"; don't think the 13" is much more powerful than the Air, and therefore not quite worth it.
Definitely going for 15" if I buy a Pro, but I can get it for $1999 at B&H. No taxes, and includes Parallels Desktop for free.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I really like portable devices, and often carry them in my bags/purses. Currently own an old 13" Macbook that I would like to sell in order to purchase 11" MBA. Do you own both the 11" AND Mini? Does it feel like the two would overlap, so to speak?

As someone who owns lots of new Apple gear, and is highly mobile, I enjoy my 11" MBA & iPad mini quite a bit. They're just different enough that I would suggest avoiding a comparison.

Personally if I was forced to make a choice I'd sell the 11" MBA, since I have a 13" MBA that's only slightly larger in its footprint when open & being used. Carrying it is no different than carrying the 11" version.

My iPad mini has just one major annoyance and that's it's grainy low resolution display. It's especially annoying since my 2013 7" Nexus 7 was a full $100 less expensive and has a gorgeous high resolution "retina quality" display.

It's impossible for me to advocate for a mini at its absurd price point. If I didn't have the Nexus 7 I wouldn't know any better, and that's what Apple counts on. Their name is what they are charging for and Apple sells very well all off their brand.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I have an 11" MBA as my only computer, a regular sized iPad and an iPad mini.

The iPad mini is small enough to be useful in many more situations where I can't take my MBA. I usually bring the MBA and the iPad mini with me on trips, while the regular sized iPad isn't too much smaller or lighter than an 11" MBA after a case.

If it weren't for the LTE on the regular iPad, I probably would never use it. My next combo will probably be the 11" MBA and an iPad mini with cellular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.