Anyone playing Guitar Hero 3 on SR Macbook PRO?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thegrandmaster, Dec 26, 2007.

1. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Hey guys,

quick question, I've been really looking forward to the release of GH3 for the Mac, and now that its finally available I was wondering what success others have had playing it so my question is:

if you are playing Guitar Hero 3 for Mac OSX on any kind of Macbook Pro (I'm especially interested about people using it on a SR MBP), does it run well, are you having any serious issues, is it what you were expecting it to be?

Many Thanks!

2. Architect4122 macrumors regular

I would like to know as well.

Also, is the guitar USB? Would/Could/Can you use a XBOX360 usb guitar for two players?

3. mrtekkid macrumors regular

Being a college student and poor, I do not have the money to put into a gaming console yet alone buy a game for it with the prices that they are at. It is one of the hit games at parties and I do not want to play it in front of people without actually practicing in my room on my own.

When GH3 came out for Mac I jumped on it. The requirements and awfully high my guess is you may have some issues running it if your computer is older than a year or so.

MY MBP (6 months old now) runs the game just fine. They ship you a Xbox guitar (since it was an Xbox port to begin with) so in theory, yes it is an Xbox USB guitar. As for Xbox 360 I am not sure of the compatibility there.

My suggestion is to read some reviews online and see what you think from those. I saw reviews that were good and some that were bad. It's all personal perception.

I personally do not have very many issues at all running GH3 on my MBP. What I do can sometimes be a graphics lag (aka screen tear) but I do not think that it affects the gameplay that much, or does it happen that often.

It sure is a crowd grabber that is for sure showing off GH3 on my mac.

They saw my guitar in my bag and asked me if they could come over and play it some time, and I was like...let's do it now, broke out my mac, plugged it in and played......

jaws were dropping

4. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I've not used GH3 on the PC/Mac, but the controller that comes with it is a slightly modified XBox 360 GH2 X-Plorer. It's not the same one that comes with GH3 for consoles.

As far as I can tell, the only modification is the ability to add faceplates. It's a good controller otherwise.

The mixed reviews you've been seeing are probably for GH3 itself. It's nowhere near as fun as 1 & 2 and seems to have sold out to every corporate sponsor under the sun. Just like a real rock band.

5. thegrandmaster thread starter macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Are you running it on a Santa Rosa MBP, or one of the earlier ones?

Thanks very much for the information about your experiences, I've been getting really mixed messages from reviews, people in threads have been saying their quad Mac Pros have made GH3 unplayable, but people with year old MBPs say its alright.

I'm wondering if the quality of the experience is dictated by the maker of the graphics card manufacturer, does your MBP have Nvidia or ATI?

Thankyou for your time!

6. mrtekkid macrumors regular

i just had my wisdom teeth taken out today and yet....here i sit ...answering your question... :p

anyhow....i have the nvidia and also a santa rosa

anything else i can help with bro?

7. thegrandmaster thread starter macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Many thanks sir, hope you recover from your wisdom teeth!

Thanks again!

8. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Yeah I played GH3 under bootcamp on windows xp just fine (2.2ghz SR MBP)
    no idea what performance is like under OSX tho...sorry

9. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

been there, done that

looks great on a 2.4ghz SR MBP

full resolution
    low details
    and crowd off seems to be the way to go

if you have used xbox controllers on your mac, don't forget to delete all the files. i spent 4 hours pondering why the game wasn't working until i called aspyr.

10. thegrandmaster thread starter macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Thanks guys!

Finally picked up GH3 the other day, already done all but 3 songs on hard mode, haven't had time to play the last 3 yet.

Thanks for the help.

11. Spliff macrumors regular

Would the performance be better on a SR MBP using the PC version (via bootcamp of course) or the Mac version? Anyone have any idea?

12. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I read somewhere, I think Macworld, that they've released an update to GH3 for Mac that fixes a lot of the graphics and sound problems.

~Crawn

13. mrtekkid macrumors regular

Thanks man, did not know that was out... I am downloading now...

I do not do a lot of online play due to the threat of a lag in performance...and I think you have to buy an account?? Cause it asks for account information that I guess I do not have..... which sucks...cause it asks EVERYTIME you play.

14. thegrandmaster thread starter macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Does the update make any difference, is it worth downloading?

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Ive been playing it on my brand new mbp in my sig... it does have lag compared to my brother's wii version, but its a lot of fun

16. Spliff macrumors regular

Wow you have the most beefiest MBP out there including all the hardware upgrades (highest processor, 7200RPM, and 4GB RAM) and you still experience lag? That goes to show what a power hungry game this is (or poorly developed/ported :eek: )

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Lately Ive been running on the lowest possible video settings with physics turned off etc. It runs very well that way in normal play.

My only qualm is that the practice mode is pretty much useless because the sound gets all crunched up and the speed varies like mad.

The ONLY time I experience lag now is in practice mode and whenever a special effect turns on during play like when all the notes turn blue etc.

Also, I recalibrated audio and video and the download update from the apple website helped tremendously...

Hope this helps for all the MBPers out there.

But its true on a machine such as mine the game should play perfect...

18. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

can you download new songs like the consoles?

19. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

20. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

21. mrtekkid macrumors regular

I still have yet to figure out how to go online... it asks for account information.... and I don't think I got any?? Anyone play online and if so, how did you do it?? Do you remember being asked for an account card or account information?? I am not talking about creating an account I believe I was asked for a verification # or something....anyone know what I am getting at? I don't have my game with me or I would check...

--------

Runs great on my computer and my computer does not have 4 gb of ram...20 gb of space ....and i have 2.4 ghz c2d.... so maybe try shutting things down and JUST running that?? thats what i do....fresh boot.... shut every running application down and play it bare.....if you still have issues...turn some of the graphics down and play it

http://support.aspyr.com/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&root=217

It's a big patch be prepared.... about a 300mb download.... and then expands to about 500mb

22. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Yeah the patch has really improved playability I've noticed. Practice mode works a lot better now and there is little to no lag. (still not quite as good as the wii yet)

23. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

i was more or less talking about buying new songs....for the game like the consoles.

24. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

they will eventually release the patch.

in the game it says downloads coming soon....

25. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yeah there is 4 different versions of GH for PS2... hopefully there will be more coming for mac