Anyone pre-order from Macmall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Stevel93, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Stevel93 macrumors newbie

I ordered the new base line Macbook air a couple days ago and the customer service said they would be getting a shipment on july 30. Went to live chat today to confirm again and they said August 11.. they did however upgrade me to Overnight shipping for free.

Anyone else order from Macmall or contact them lately about the macbook air?

2. Stevel93 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I've heard bad things about macmall. Notice why they will give you an addition $10 off for calling in your order? Why on earth would that make sense? It can't be cost-effective, or is it? It's b/c they will hassle you and nag you into trying to buy additional things that you don't need or want.

And returning will likely be a hassle, too. Not worth it in my opinion.

4. MaybeKatie macrumors newbie

I ordered my new Macbook Air from MacMall on Wednesday 7/20 (first day) when the shipping estimate was the first week of August. However, it ended up shipping Friday 7/22 and I received it on Tuesday. No complaints about MacMall. I didn't place my order over the phone, just ordered online. It's true they don't accept returns on Apple products, but if anything is defective with the machine then it's covered by the Apple Warranty. As long as you're sure you want the product, I think MacMall is a great choice. It was by far the lowest price I found online.

5. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

I called them to inquire about the availability of the MBA and spoke to an extremely rude rep. Needless to say I did NOT order from them and will not!

6. SickSix macrumors newbie

SickSix

So did I. I ordered a base 13" Wednesday of this week. Before I ordered it, I was also told that the new shipment would be in the last days of July. They even went so far as to tell me that amount they are scheduled to receive. My order would be about 30 from the end of the total shipment supply and would have priority status shipping today.

My shipping status is not updated yet on the site. I certainly do not want to wait for the 11th of August if that is true. I am hoping for a scenario to happen like MaybeKatie. If not Ill just take a bath on the savings (tax) and buy one locally.

7. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

I ordered a base 7/22. They told me a shipment was coming in the 30th. No word, no order status change. It seems only apple has these right now.

might have to find a student id and go get a discounted one and just pay tax.

8. Stevel93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just talked to them again and they said that if the shipment does arrive today, it would take 24 hours for the warehouse to update and that I'd have to wait until Monday to see if I was included..

9. Stevel93 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

I am planning to purchase mine from macmall too but I am waiting for them to be in stock. Looks like they are getting small batches and ship them out as they receive it.

Did they tell you when is the next batch after Jul 30? I would imagine the Jul 30 batch is probably gone and if I order today I will be in the next round.

11. Stevel93 thread starter macrumors newbie

They said they are not getting enough stock to show the status on their website as "In stock" and are preorders are occupying their incoming shipments. According to them the next shipment is August 11th...Hopefully I was included in the one from yesterday, have to wait till monday to find out though

12. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

horrible

I placed an order the very first day of the announcement and when it had reached over a week with no word from them I called several times to figure out what was the problem. Out of 5-6 people I talked to, all but ONE was extremely rude to me and nobody knew anything.

I ended up cancelling my order and will buy it directly from the apple store. I don't care about paying the taxes anymore, I just don't want macmall to get any of my money. Plus they started spamming my email with crap from them AND PCmall. Like I have any need for a PC...

13. jomo25 macrumors regular

Yeah, I'll never order from them again. Not a bad experience, as much as just not having a good one. They couldn't commit when they would get them in and my date moved out a couple times. I snagged one of the Amazon ones at 1139 for 4/128 last week and cancelled my MacMall order.

With Amazon, I got $4 overnight shipping (prime) and got it 3 business days earlier than they committed.

And yes, I was getting spammed by them also. I didn't subscribe to anything in the beginning. And then I unsubscribed when I started getting them, and I was still getting them 2 days later. They say it takes 3 days to stop getting them. I'll see if that happens.

14. buddybd macrumors 6502

I spoke with them as well, they gave me the 11th August date as well. And they also said that this'll be a big shipment and there will be more in stock after filling all preorders.

15. chazmink macrumors member

If you order from their link on the appleinsider.com homepage you get an extra 3% off, actually beating Apple's government or education pricing. I got my 13" MBA at the Apple Store in Delaware but just ordered a 15" MBP from MacMall for my college senior son. They called up on Friday to verify the order but I could barely understand the clerk. Not sure I'll buy from them again. I read on their website that they have a 14 day return policy but some in this thread said no returns.

16. Stevel93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damnit wish I knew about that apple insider discount before >.< they won't give me the difference unless I cancel my order and reorder.....What do you guys think I should do?

17. Stevel93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh, I think I'll just take the blow so I can receive it this week for my trip... they upgraded me to Priority Overnight and "Prioritized" the shipment for me.

Ahh hopefully there won't be any problems with the macbook air itself..

18. Stevel93 thread starter macrumors newbie

An update for people who did preorder at macmall, the saturday shipment only had 6 airs and more are arriving today and tomorrow according to CS.

19. SickSix macrumors newbie

SickSix

Through chat. I think I am about to check local stock of Apple or a Best Buy and bite the tax hit. Maybe at Apple I could insure getting a Double Samsung Macbook :cool:

20. Stevel93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh cs says its August 11 now no shipments received....Just cancelled and going to order elsewhere.. Hate customer service inconsistencies.

21. tuna macrumors 6502

I kept getting that answer too.

"The shipment is supposed to arrive on saturday."
    -I call in to ask them if they received them and if they received enough to fulfill my order
    -"our systems don't update until the next day, call back tomorrow"
    -I call in Sunday:
    "The shipment didn't arrive. Apple told us saturday July 30th and August 11th. We have no idea when they will arrive. Maybe they will come tomorrow (monday). Call back on tuesday to find out. Sorry for the delay and we are upgrading your shipping to next day, free of charge."

So that's where my situation with MacMall stands. I ordered the 256GB 13" i5, for the record, the CSRs I spoke with implied that they had already received and shipped out other models, but that they hadn't received any of the 256GB 13" models.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. With the 3% AppleInsider discount, my computer was $50 cheaper than Apple's education pricing, AND it came with a free printer/scanner after rebate, AND I saved ~$140 in sales tax. Also, there's no doubt in my mind that Apple would be quick to screw them over with their promised stock in order to fulfill demand from their own stores. Its widely known that Apple gives preferential treatment to their own retail channel.

So I'm not cancelling my order just yet. I'll wait an extra week to save $200 by going through MacMall. The only thing I don't understand is that "24 hour window for warehouse inventory to update" thing. Sure, their office is in CA and their warehouse is in TN, but with all the hundreds of people who must have backorders on the MBA, one person couldnt call the warehouse every day to get apprised as to whether they have come in yet? They really have to wait until the next day?

And thinking along this vein... do cargo packages carrying tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory not come with tracking? I purchased an iPad 2 at launch direct from Apple, and I watched the fedex tracking as it went from China to Hong Kong to Alaska and on to me. How can a company have no idea when a cargo pallet carrying hundreds of thousands of dollars of merchandise is going to come in? Is that really how this works? Does MacMall really not even know how much or when Apple has shipped them? This is what the MacMall CSRs would have me believe... I don't know enough about this stuff to call them liars.

22. TC25 macrumors 68020

Sadly, these kinds of posts, i.e., crappy customer service from MacMall, happen after almost every new product is announced. I've read enough of them to know I'd never order a big ticket item from them.

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Ain't going to order from macmall...
    Bestbuy has much better deal than Macmall.

24. buddybd macrumors 6502

Just checked their online store, 1304USD with tax. How is that better? :S No site with prices similar to Macmall seems to have any stock. Looks like we'll have no choice but to wait it out.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

If this story is accurate, then the MacBook Air, particularly the higher-end 11" models, are selling pretty quickly, draining supplies.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...rbolt_macbook_airs_cause_some_stock_outs.html

PowerMax, MacMall, and other online resellers say "call for availability" on many of the models, and it wouldn't surprise me that Apple prioritizes shipments to their own stores. After all, they'd rather sell it to you for list price and keep all the margin for themselves than share some with a reseller.

The analysis has an interesting price target of $666 for AAPL. Is there a subliminal message in it?