Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinAyla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Hi

Have anyone read reports from people who has received their Intel iMac yet?

I would like to read some reviews and first hand experiences.

I have to wait for mine a bit longer here in Denmark. But I read that some stores in the US had them in stock and people are picking them up.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
MartinAyla said:
Hi

Have anyone read reports from people who has received their Intel iMac yet?

I would like to read some reviews and first hand experiences.

I have to wait for mine a bit longer here in Denmark. But I read that some stores in the US had them in stock and people are picking them up.

ive heard everything is really slow - especially things that use rosetta. "slower than my 900mhz ibook'' was the term they used

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
BakedBeans said:
ive heard everything is really slow - especially things that use rosetta. "slower than my 900mhz ibook'' was the term they used

I'm afraid I have to agree. My friend got his yesterday, and he said it was as "slow as molases". Its like treacle. :( iTunes and Safari were taking all day to load. Still. I guess 8 seconds loading time for iTunes isn't too bad. He does have like 1000 songs.

MartinAyla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
BakedBeans said:

That doesn't sound too good.

Any links to some more info?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
XIII said:
I'm afraid I have to agree. My friend got his yesterday, and he said it was as "slow as molases". Its like treacle. :( iTunes and Safari were taking all day to load. Still. I guess 8 seconds loading time for iTunes isn't too bad. He does have like 1000 songs.
iTunes 6.0.2 is Universal... I think there might be something else that's wrong... :rolleyes:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
iTunes 6.0.2 is Universal... I think there might be something else that's wrong... :rolleyes:

Definetly, iTunes & Safari are both universal binary. I think I may smell a hint of bs.... :rolleyes:

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
If these first intels do suck this bad, then i am gonna be happy as larry with my last PPC iMac. It is the fastest computer ive ever used, and my mate has a 3.6 GhZ monster that is slow compared to the iMac. ha. Stupid intel. AMD any day

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Mitthrawnuruodo said:

I dunno. I haven't used one.. just what he told me. Link doesn't look too good. :S

I hope this is just an isolated case or something.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Tell him to see if windows will install. People want to know the answer to that.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
BakedBeans said:
Source from actual users

I'm really worried - so this might be why they are continuing to sell PPC

Yeah that link does look bad but doesn't mention what tasks they are doing apart from the guy stating photoshop took 6 minutes to load...

But photoshop still in Rosetta, I'll reserve judgment on it's true performance till Adobe release universal version.

But Safari & iTunes? No way thay can be that slow. Did you see how fast iDVD, iPhoto, iWeb etc.. all responded in the videos going about. They flew through the tasks.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Well we knew rosetta wasn't going to be as fast as native code.
Trying to be all things for all people has NEVER been efficient. If they are going to do this right they need to choose one or the other.

Nonsense, how else are people supposed to run powerpc apps. The only disadvantage is having double the executable code, which doesn't matter with today's large hard drives. Trying to do all things for all people can be efficient, its just harder to good a good job of designing something that way. And OSX is the perfect example of that, its great for power users and newbies.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
The link to the site that claims "slow as molasses" is still all hearsay. And that itself smells like BS. Until I personally see one inside an Apple Store and test it for myself, will I not be impressed. I never take someone just saying "it's slow as molasses" because who knows what agenda, if any, they're trying to push or convey. Could even be some Windows nerd just trying to rage the forums.

Take what you hear as exactly what it is, hearsay. Until a real, honest test and benchmark and trial can be done by a trusted source, beware of other peoples opinions.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
It sounds like a load of rubbish to me, although it is pretty odd that the US Apple Store is still selling the PowerPC version of the iMac for the same price as the Intel one. Why would they do that? It's not great marketing.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
johnnyjibbs said:
It sounds like a load of rubbish to me, although it is pretty odd that the US Apple Store is still selling the PowerPC version of the iMac for the same price as the Intel one. Why would they do that? It's not great marketing.
It's great for people who must run PPC software and pro apps that won't run on the Intel, or even for those of us who don't trust a Rev A of anything. Until more universal binaries are available, I think it is very smart of Apple to sell both, and very dumb if they decide to drop the G5 version.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Morn said:
Tell him to see if windows will install. People want to know the answer to that.

People already know the answer...Windows XP will not run because it does not support EFI (the BIOS replacement that Intel Macs have). Windows Vista does support this, however.

y0zza

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
UK
Quote from the website linked:
Gareth Chang also from the California area was less than happy with the performance of his new 20? iMac’s ‘Rosetta’ performance. Tim stated that his version of Adobes award winning software, Photoshop CS2 took 6 minutes to load and was virtually unusable.

Clearly bogus that Photoshop CS2 takes 6 minutes to load, at least based on the demos Steve gave at WWDC05 and MWSF06. :rolleyes:

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
y0zza said:
Quote from the website linked:

Clearly bogus that Photoshop CS2 takes 6 minutes to load, at least based on the demos Steve gave at WWDC05 and MWSF06. :rolleyes:

It's all BS. I used the iMacs and MacBooks at Macworld and they were very speedy. Photoshop took less time to load than it does on my Mac mini... and it ran faster, too. iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand were all incredibly fast and responsive.

kyeblue

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
Long Island, New York
Flowbee said:
It's all BS. I used the iMacs and MacBooks at Macworld and they were very speedy. Photoshop took less time to load than it does on my Mac mini... and it ran faster, too. iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand were all incredibly fast and responsive.

thanks, i am waiting for my iMac and was really worried reading previous post. My major concern is how good MS Office runs on rosetta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.