Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
verb said:
Wow! Thanks for posting the benchmark. It looks like in real world performance (taking everything into consideration) we're looking at max 2x previous powerbooks. There are some tasks that are going to be 4-5x faster and there are also tasks that are almost the same. I have a iMac 1.25Ghz and that score isn't even quite 2x mine. The 1.67Ghz powerbooks should close the gap even more.

TAKE NOTHING from that crappy benchmark. seriously. from other tests the imac dual core is about as fast as the dual 2ghz and dual 2.3 ghz powermacs.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
asencif said:
Hey Bubbasteve....Congratulations on the new iMac. Are you familiar with Mac the Ripper and Handbrake? Have you tried to run these apps? Curious about the speed or if they work at all. Also, how's MS Office on it?

Be good to see handbrakes frames per second rate.. Are they gonna be releasing a Universal one?

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Overall, this is sounding really good. These new Intel Macs are definitely fast. I wish I had an Apple Store nearby. I would like to test one out!

Loved the video of the MacBook Pro. Very nice to see it in action. It seemed to run GREAT.

bigfib

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
BS Bigtime

This story has been irritating me so much I've done some detective work.
The two people named as unhappy with their macs in the original story (Gareth Chang and Edgar Woolard) are both ex-apple board members, kicked out when jobs came back.
http://news.com.com/Jobs named interim Apple CEO/2100-1001_3-203260.html
http://www.macsonly.com/arch0300.html
So this is either sour grapes or a ******** story invented to discredit the new macs.
Don't worry everyone, these babies will fly. Mine shipped yesterday and I'm not worried.
Nick x

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
bigfib said:
This story has been irritating me so much I've done some detective work.
The two people named as unhappy with their macs in the original story (Gareth Chang and Edgar Woolard) are both ex-apple board members, kicked out when jobs came back.
http://news.com.com/Jobs named interim Apple CEO/2100-1001_3-203260.html
http://www.macsonly.com/arch0300.html
So this is either sour grapes or a ******** story invented to discredit the new macs.
Don't worry everyone, these babies will fly. Mine shipped yesterday and I'm not worried.
Nick x

OR

It could have been a subtle (but very funny joke) between Macheads - aimed at the people that are constantly posting imac this and imac that threads everywhere?

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
BakedBeans said:
OR

It could have been a subtle (but very funny joke) between Macheads - aimed at the people that are constantly posting imac this and imac that threads everywhere?

I think you nailed it. No way that story is true. LOL!

ThomasM

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2006
instead of these "useless" benchmarks, people should spend some time figuring out what we are all eager to know, can you use windows xp MCE on it ?

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I agree with ThomasM - I'd like to know how easy it is to install windows too...
I convinced my sister to go with one of the new iMacs for her new computer, its gonna be her first Apple Computer. I also kinda wanted her to get it so I could play around with it! lol

I'll try installing Windows XP, XP MCE, and Vista beta once her's arrives! (She ordered it yesterday, so it might be awhile though.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
bowzer said:
I agree with ThomasM - I'd like to know how easy it is to install windows too...
I convinced my sister to go with one of the new iMacs for her new computer, its gonna be her first Apple Computer. I also kinda wanted her to get it so I could play around with it! lol

I'll try installing Windows XP, XP MCE, and Vista beta once her's arrives! (She ordered it yesterday, so it might be awhile though.

ouch....! use your sister's mac as a guinea pig.....?

don't spoil hers though..... or you'll be sorry.... :p :p

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
ThomasM said:
instead of these "useless" benchmarks, people should spend some time figuring out what we are all eager to know, can you use windows xp MCE on it ?

I think that's been pinned down as a no. (UPDATE - apparently SP2 Pro does have EFI: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/173183/) Vista will support the EFI (as opposed to BIOS) that the Macs use. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/172422/

Bowzer said:

I'll try installing Windows XP, XP MCE, and Vista beta once her's arrives! (She ordered it yesterday, so it might be awhile though

We'll we've at least narrowed what you plan to install to Vista (Update: or XP with SP2 Pro) , still I would want you slowly step away from the Mac with your hands up. No fast moves or attempts to install a Microsoft OS.

bigfib

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
So much BS

So much BS in these forums...
If you look back through this trail you'll find a couple of users who have received their macs and say that they are very fast in native mode, and very good in rosetta (a miracle, as anyone who knows anything about emulation can tell you).
There was one story that two people had complained about the macs being slow (a story which I have exposed in detail as being a hoax), and lots of people openly lying saying "my friend says his is slow as molasses... blah blah..."
When asked for the source they all point back to the original, hoax article... so this is not "my friend says" at all...
Now, perlease... can we drop the BS and move on.
All evidence points to these macs performing beautifully.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Am I wrong in assuming that the Xbench2 app must run under Rosetta, and is therefore measuring Rosetta emulation speed? To come anywhere close to the last iMac G5 (which the benchmark results would appear to indicate) is really amazing. I don't think these benchmark results can be taken to in any way indicate the true speed of the Intel chip, but rather how well Rosetta performs on said chip.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
bigfib said:
So much BS in these forums...
If you look back through this trail you'll find a couple of users who have received their macs and say that they are very fast in native mode, and very good in rosetta (a miracle, as anyone who knows anything about emulation can tell you).
There was one story that two people had complained about the macs being slow (a story which I have exposed in detail as being a hoax), and lots of people openly lying saying "my friend says his is slow as molasses... blah blah..."
When asked for the source they all point back to the original, hoax article... so this is not "my friend says" at all...
Now, perlease... can we drop the BS and move on.
All evidence points to these macs performing beautifully.

I said the "my friend told me" and I own the site on which the "hoax article" was posted, by me. The story was told to me by my friend, I told BakedBeans (on IM), and he decided to post it here. It would seem that my "friend" has been feeding me BS for my site.. maybe some kind of joke. I guess he must have found it quite funny how much of a stir up he caused. :rolleyes:

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
XIII said:
I said the "my friend told me" and I own the site on which the "hoax article" was posted, by me. The story was told to me by my friend, I told BakedBeans (on IM), and he decided to post it here. It would seem that my "friend" has been feeding me BS for my site.. maybe some kind of joke. I guess he must have found it quite funny how much of a stir up he caused. :rolleyes:

Hehe, I gave you a through "dressing down" on that site too for posting that. My apologies here as I'm hoping you will have taken the story down by now. I likened you to Matt Drudge, which is an insult you just didn't deserve...again I'm sorry.

Cool site otherwise though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.