Anyone recommend an antenna after ditching cable?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ELMI0001, Mar 26, 2013.

1. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I've looked at a few online and I believe I need uhf/vhf to access channels from 2-60. I'm 22 miles from the towers so I'm in a good range. I just want to get some first hand experience from trusted community members.

My second questions is in regards to the connection. Does it have to be coaxial? I have a TV mounted over the fireplace and HDMI connected to everything. Are there any antenna's that support HDMI or can anyone recommend a Coaxial to HDMI adapter?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Will you be able to handle it (lack of cable)? :p

3. ELMI0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Yeah absolutely. We really don't watch it and have progressively scaled it back further and further. I might miss ESPN but we'll see. I plan to buy the MLB.TV package to watch through my Apple TV. At $129/year it's cheaper than a month of cable.

I was alooking at this antenna but would want to bring it into the house and feed the signal to all TV's. But the current setup would require more cable pulling and I'm not planning on doing that. I did not do it originally and believe it was done as a renovation was occurring.

I could do some indoor antennas but if it doesn't work hidden from site I really am not interested in it. I saw this one. Maybe worth trying.

Not sure how this thingy works. Any ideas?

4. ELMI0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread? I assumed this would be a popular topic. I searched and didn't find anything but felt this was the only thread this belonged in.

Anyone?

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I used to have a Mohu Leaf antenna that worked very well. I lived in the city on the first floor of a brick building and got over 20 channels.

If you want to plug only HDMI cables into the back of your TV I think you'd have to buy an external TV tuner. The tuner in your TV only gets input from the coaxial port.

That "thingy" you posted is not a coaxial to HDMI converter. Read the reviews.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Have you considered satellite? I pay under $40 a month for Dish Network. Also kept my 20-year-old antenna (no idea of the make) connected to a bedroom t.v.

Works fine - but as I live in the boonies, there are only four networks and PBS to pull from (antenna). Not an issue as the bedroom t.v. is used only late at night or for early morning local news.

7. ELMI0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I know it's not a converter but I'm just not sure what it is. The positive reviewer states if you know what it is it will work. I just didn't know what it was.

As far as I can tell there are no Coaxial-to-HDMI adapters.

----------

I've looked at some satellite. The real issue is whether I really need all the channels. I certainly enjoy my fair share of mindless television (HGTV, Food network, etc.) but I could also find something to stream or pickup a book.

I do want the local channels though.

8. ELMI0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Decided to go with this Mohu Leaf antenna.

According to TVFool.com I should be able to pickup all my local stations. The antenna's are all 21-22 miles NE of my location and my TV and antenna are in the SW corner of my floor. We'll see how it turns out. Antenna is arriving on Friday.