Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Nope, I wanted black and I'm very happy with it.

Nothing wrong with the White, I just prefer my gadgets to be either black or silver/gray.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Anyone who has a white iPad and calls it distracting obviously made the wrong color choice. The white is in absolutely no way distracting. I have already watched two movies on the iPad 2 (both in the dark) and never once thought, "Oh, wow, this white is so distracting". I didn't think about it because I didn't notice it. I also read one book in iBooks, and again, no distracting. I do love the white version, knew I wanted it the second it was announced. To each his own, I guess. But, really, if you have a Black iPad, you can't really pick out flaws on the white one. If you have a white iPad and you think it's distracting, then take it back, because you're very insecure about your color choice.

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
I got the white, and have 0 issues with the backlight bleed, pixel issues or yellow anywhere on the screen, and it was the color I wanted! could have picked a black BUT didnt want one! Still don't! to each his/ hero own!! :cool:

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Not one bit. I had the original iPad, which was obviously black, and now the white iPad 2. I don't perceive any negative effect and in fact it looks quite nice.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Well I'm going for the white one then :) Tried it out in the store and really liked it but wasnt sure if it would be distracting at home when reading but since ppl don't think so I'll get it.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
I ordered Whitey last Friday, but since it hasn't even shipped yet I spent some time in the fruit store today wondering if I should have ordered black. After an hour of playing with both of them I've decided that I don't really care which color I get :D. I had the original iPad, so I was excited to get one that looks so much different in white. Ultimately, for me, it's not really going to matter. If I could get a black one tomorrow vs waiting another week for my order to be fulfilled, I'd get the black and cancel my order.

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Get the black

Well, I went for a black wifi only and came out with a white 3g... I made the choice and the last min for the 3g and all they had was white in the capacity i wanted... I like it, but black is just way better... It is easier on the eyes. I should have applied the reasoning for not buying a white car to the ipad... It shows any discoloration... The case i am currently using is slightly rubbing off on it. I would never get white again.

I know white is apples flagship color, but it is not consumer friendly. I see people with dirty/dusty keyboards, mac books, mice, ipods among other things... Their white and clear keyboard has got to to the ugliest design made... The new ones are slick enough to keep clean though.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I bought black (haven't gotten it yet, should be here on Thursday), but a part of me wished I bought the white instead since it looks so nice. No point now, because I don't want to return it and have to wait another 2-3 months to find another one.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Well, I went for a black wifi only and came out with a white 3g... I made the choice and the last min for the 3g and all they had was white in the capacity i wanted... I like it, but black is just way better... It is easier on the eyes. I should have applied the reasoning for not buying a white car to the ipad... It shows any discoloration... The case i am currently using is slightly rubbing off on it. I would never get white again.

I know white is apples flagship color, but it is not consumer friendly. I see people with dirty/dusty keyboards, mac books, mice, ipods among other things... Their white and clear keyboard has got to to the ugliest design made... The new ones are slick enough to keep clean though.

Anandtech says that the white iPad stays clean looking while the black shows fingerprints.

eddiexhart

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
North Hollywood CA
I got white the first day, mainly because I wanted the "hot new color" I played with it non stop but thru the night the white bezel kind of just lost it's wow factor and it started to get distracting. I set it down to charge and just looking at it with the screen off I started doubting my decision. I felt like I bought a Nook replica. So the next day I woke up and went to exchange it for black and I've been happy since! Black works better for me, everyone like to say the "white hides the smudges and black shows them off" and that's is complete BS. No matter what color the friggin bezel is, the screen will still get smudges!

Anyways, got over white. Been happy with Black. :p

aplqna

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Maryland
Anandtech says that the white iPad stays clean looking while the black shows fingerprints.

Black shows plenty of fingerprints and dust ON the bezel. With white, not so much at all. It's funny to me with the people saying "white will get dirty faster" - Um, no. For one, it has glass over the bezel, for two- who really fondles up their iPad bezel with dark grime on their hands? Not I.

mattydodgy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Lancaster, UK
Thanks for the help guys. Still a little undecided... Although I am heading to the white more and more now.

I guess I'll have to wait until they come out in the UK and have a play with it before purchase.

And I doubt Apple will push the international date back due to 4-6 weeks estimates for US. This just means they are running out of units for the US, they will have different stocks produced for different countries...

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
Thanks for the help guys. Still a little undecided... Although I am heading to the white more and more now.

I guess I'll have to wait until they come out in the UK and have a play with it before purchase.

And I doubt Apple will push the international date back due to 4-6 weeks estimates for US. This just means they are running out of units for the US, they will have different stocks produced for different countries...

My white just shipped today! So I guess I'll stop trying to pick up a black one, lol.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I have nothing against the white other an it isn't for me and seeing it in the store while people were playing with both, I thought the black looked sharper. So I with the black, I actually don't notice fingerprints on the bezel. I notice them more on the screen at certain angles.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I got a white iPad, due to black showing fingerprints on the bezel. I don't find it distracting at all. Very satisfied with my choice.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I'm also not sure if I should get the white or black one...

I'll mostly read ebooks, the news and occasionally watch movies on it.

Is the white border distracting when reading? Are there any other down-sides to the white color?

I read ebooks and RSS feeds on my white ipad most of the time... the white is actually better if you do more reading or websurfing. It blends in nicely with white/light colored backgrounds and allows the text to appear darker. Black is "the best" for picture color quality... however what color is the bezel on the high resolution, anti-glare upgraded screens for macbook pros, huh!? Same super light silver that is on the rest of the machine. You'd think that on their highest end Macbook displays they'd stick with black... but nope.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I originally wanted to get white. Then I went to the Apple Store and compared the black with the white and decided that I definitely wanted the black.

Couldn't find an iPad 2 anywhere!

Found a white 32GB and decided, what the heck. Bought it and I actually really like the white. Looks great and isn't nearly as distracting at home as it was under the blinding Apple Store lights. Very happy with the decision.

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011

Well, I had the original and I can compare. The white is better and not showing the fingerprints. But White in general gets dirty... Shoot... They both will show something... I think that black will keep its slick looks where as white will wear off. It is like having a tv with a silver bezel... Looked good a few years ago when it was the in thing, but it gets tacky... Black is not going any where. No matter the color you get, you will be wipping that screen just because you will baby it, lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.