anyone regret switching to AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajones46, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ajones46 macrumors 6502

hey i was just wondering if anyone seriously regrets switching to AT&T for the iPhone, rather than just waiting for it to be available for all carriers? I love my ipod touch (but just want the damn phone part!! lol) and follow all the news about the iPhone as if i had one, but i go snowboarding a lot and AT&T's coverage (going off the map from their website) is non-existent. With Verizon, i have full service anywhere on the mountain.. I just wanted to hear your input and see if i wait, get one now, or what? And, by reading most of the forums, no one really knows exactly how long the exclusivity contract goes for anyway, so is it worth it?

2. Mengels7 macrumors regular

I switched to AT&T. AT&T blows, but the iPhone 3G is a lot better as a phone than the original. I figure next year Verizon and AT&T will be running LTE, and one of them will have an iPhone 4G of sorts, so I guess I win either way, right?

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Yes, I do regret it for sure. I only get 1 bar in my house on the 3G network. I would do anything to get rid of my 3G SIM card get a one of the old SIM cards, which get full bars at my house.

I am going to check out Verizon and Sprint after my 2-year contract is up if AT&T doesn't fix this major problem. And the last thing I would do is sign another contract with them because I would be so happy to get out of this one I am stuck with right now. I bet they have lost so many customers already.And AT&T doesn't even seem to care that I don't have any bars. I used to have almost 3 bars at my house when I first bought my phone. The coverage seems to be getting even worse and now I either have 1 bar or my phone will say "no service".

Warning to potential contract signers: make sure you have near full bars at your house or workplace before you let AT&T trap you for 2 years. I would suggest not signing a contract if possible.

4. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Have you tried turning your phone off and back on again.

5. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Yeah, I do it everyday. Also, I have had the SIM card replaced if you are wondering.

I know its not just my phone though. I was looking at one of the USA Today (the app from app store) polls about cell phones. I narrowed down the poll results to my individual city, and 75% of people in my city said that the worst thing about cell phones is the 3G coverage. So its not just me.

6. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I switched to AT&T for the iPhone. No regrets ;-)

7. ronm3xico macrumors member

I switched, never regretted it, blows T-Mo out the water in NYC, out on the far reaches of Long Island, and even in the mountains when I was driving through the Catskills.

8. Pared macrumors 65816

Switched from Sprint and aside from a few 3G outages, I get very good speeds in NY and NJ.

Even had great reception in Chicago, Washington and San Diego.

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

If it's a problem why not just turn 3g off?

10. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Originally I was disappointed with EDGE but now with 3G no.

11. D-Jam macrumors member

Thankfully my GF's 1st gen iPhone works well in my place...so I'm sure mine will too.

Besides, I'm one of those weirdos who has a land line.

12. Untaken macrumors member

I ditched Verizon for AT&T in order to get the iPhone. In my opinion, AT&T's network blows in comparison but at the same time Verizon loves to cripple their phones and screw over their customers so I don't have any regrets. I'd rather have a sweet phone that can take full advantage of a poor network than have a crippled phone that can't do **** on a good network. :p

13. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

I think all this talk about AT&T and their network is just talk and overblown.

14. ougum macrumors regular

I was a long time Verizon customer. I had zero bars on my LG enV while at work. Switched to AT&T and I couldn't be happier. I get full bars even when I'm in an elevator at work with my iPhone. I also had dropped calls very often with Verizon. I've had hardly any with AT&T. Don't know about other areas, but here in Youngsville, NC AT&T is better than Verizon. No regrets here.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've been using AT&T for the last 12 years and I've had no issues.

16. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Good thread. I started a similar thread about a week ago. I have talked to a few ppl in chicago with iphone 3G. 3 out of 4 complained about dropped calls. One mentioned that apple said that 3G should be disabled to improve the phone service, which is ridiculous since you are paying for 3G.

17. marksandvig macrumors regular

switched from tmobile when i moved back from AZ to CA from college.. In AZ att wasnt so hot but tmobile and sprint seemed to dominate coverage.. Out in LA it wasnt so.. in fact it was the opposite.. Couldnt be happier with ATT out here..

I think its obvious that people who live in poor coverage spot for one or the other (ATT vs. Verizon/tmobile/sprint) are obviously going to back the one with better coverage.

18. D-Jam macrumors member

The BIGGER question should be...

When the exclusivity contract runs out, and more carriers get the iPhone, would you leave AT&T for another carrier?

How many out there are holding out on iPhones because they don't want AT&T?

19. GCmini macrumors member

GCmini

I was with Verizon for 5 years. I wanted an iPhone so badly I could care less what the service was like. I live in the Inland Empire in CA. And the service is amazing. I dont have anything to complain about. I always have 3G. Verizon customer service reps are **** anyways! They could care less about the customer. ATT cares more than Verizon does. I love ATT and unless iPhone moves im staying put.

20. rednano74 macrumors member

Not only does the strength of signal vary from company to company, it also varies from phone to phone within those companies. So you might not be comparing apples to apples if you know what I mean in regards to "bars."

I switched to AT&T in Jan from Verizon after 5 years and no regrets so far. :D

21. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I have at+t but no iphone (I have a touch). My contract will be up soon and want an iphone but concerned about at+t's network... I doubt at+t will lose the exclusivity since the iphone is pretty popular.

22. D-Jam macrumors member

Well yeah...the iPhone is popular, but not AT&T.

So when the contract ends in 2010 I'm sure we'll see iPhones pop up on Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile at least.

23. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Looks like your going to be waiting by yourself.

24. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I don't think I can with my phone. I tried looking all over the options and can't find anything. I am using an Samsung A737.

25. jcosmide macrumors member

+1 exactly