anyone regret upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redgaz26, Aug 1, 2008.

1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

I love my new iPhone I really do but I really miss my old one. This one feels better in my hand but also much lighter. I sold my first gen the day after I upgraded. Seen my pals first gen yesterday and it's was like hey I used to have that. Like seeing an old girlfriend. Ok it's late but I do miss it.
    Anyone else????????

2. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

The only thing I regret is that I didn't get a IPhone earlier.. Waited on the first gen, second gen, bought a BlackBerry and fell in love with the 3G.:D

3. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

what is this mumbo jumbo

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

When you post from a phone on the mobile forums it puts that in the post too.

5. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

how come when i post from my phone it doesnt do that

6. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

Only if your posting from mobile macrumors!!!!!

But you won't see it till your on the normal macrumors!
    Confused??????

7. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

ahhh I see

8. ddrum1458 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Ooooh yeah LOL

9. Iron Chef macrumors member

I dont regret upgrading, but I dont like that with the plastic case, my hands get sweaty fast and thus cause the iphone to get a little slippery which gets annoying when playing an accelerometer based game or 2 thumb typing.

10. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I have two guys at work who went for the upgrade from their old iPhones and both have told me in the last couple of days they wish they hadn't of upgraded. They cite the battery life, new contract, and the feel as reasons they would have stayed with the old.
    Still they like their phones, but if they had to do it all over again...
    Heck they both of said they wish they would have bought an iPod touch like mine.

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

The difference in weight between the two phones would be impossible to detect by just holding it.

12. sodaftl macrumors member

sodaftl

not anymore!

i tried the iPhone 3g white for a week, and i just switched back to my iPhone 1st gen today :

-iPhone 3g (3g + wi-fi + bluetooth) battery life is poor, even without using the iPod function at all, compared to iPhone 1st gen (wi-fi + bluetooth) which is amazing, even when using the iPod function a lot
    -iPhone 3g feels and looks a little bulkier
    -iPhone 3g back plastic cover feels cheat, and does not look like an iPhone from the back (obviously a very subjective, non technical, personal opinion)
    -iPhone 1st gen touch screen seems to be more responsive

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5957248&posted=1#post5957248

13. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

I regret it...

...bought the 3G for 3G and GPS.

Have them both off all the time because they kill the battery.

I basically have a more expensive contract and my old iPhone....

14. random person macrumors 6502a

Lumpydog, you hit it right on the head -- that's why I didn't upgrade. And yet I continue to feel bad about NOT buying the new one -- The Shiny New Apple Store that is ONE BLOCK from my house isn't helping any! But also I tend to buy whatever Apple introduces, immediately.

But this time -- even Mossberg and Pogue, those fanboys, weren't sold on it for owners of the original iphone. They made me feel silly for thinking about upgrading, but I still feel bereft. Bought a new Vaja case for my old phone to feel better -- which helped a LOT -- but I still feel bad.

Now the way I see it is this: until they improve the battery life, the problem is that you have to essentially cripple the phone to get acceptable performance out of it, and yet pay more for the privilege.

But I still wonder -- if you turn off all the things that make a 3G phone 3G, does its battery life then exceed that of the first gen phone -- in real use? And does that alone make it worth it?

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I miss the stability of 1.1.4, and the metal housing (and generally better build quality) but not much else.

The first few days, when the 3G network was getting iSlammed, speeds were iffy. Speeds are getting much better. Today I went out of the 3G coverage area for the first time since July 11th, and man what a difference. Speeds may not seem vastly different on paper, but in terms of everyday real world usage...reading RSS feeds, reading/ sending mail, etc....3G is much snappier than edge, and worth the admission price for me.

16. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

I kind of miss the aluminum back on my old one, and I'm having too many problems with stuck pixels. If I hadn't sold it before I bought the 3G, I might have just returned the 3G.

17. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I think it is worth it in a few ways: calls sound better, system volume is better and when I do use 3G for internet it's great. Funny though, when I turn everything off and basically turn it into a 1st gen iphone, I see much worse battery use. The first phone I could get like 4 days standby with a few hours use. This new iphone on Edge only and I get about 2+ days with the same usage.

18. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

i absolutely have no regrets.. the only thing i miss from my old iphone is the back. It wasnt a fingerprint nightmare like this one:apple::apple:

19. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

There are a few things I prefer on my old iphone, the wireless network at home worked better, the battery lasted longer & that's about it!

20. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Honestly, the main reason I upgraded was because my V1 iPhone is only a 4GB. If it had been a 16 or even an 8GB I probably would have held off. But my reasoning was, if I want more storage, why buy an "old" version?

I pick up my 4GB to play with it occasionally and I can feel a difference in quality. This 1st gen feels much more substantial and better built.

But that's just me...

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No regrets.

I still have a 1st generation iPhone activated as well.

22. daryliow macrumors regular

only the SMS bugs me! Makes me want to rip my hair out! How can a company like apple miss such an obvious bug????

23. MasonMI macrumors regular

I loved my first generation iphone 8GB i was going to stick with it until i got caught up into the hype of everyone buying the new iphone 3G so i had to have one of the 16GB's in black which i dont regret my choice in doing so i think Apple fed my thinking after seeing so many people wanting the new iphone i just had to have one too.

24. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with SMS? I found it to work really nicely.

25. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I liked the look of the 1st gen better but upgraded to get the 3G and more memory. I don't regret it. Web pages downloads are much less painful now (I'm in 3G areas most of the time) and I'm able to take more video with me.

I just hope they'll fix all of the 2.0 software bugs soon!