Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daryliow

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
What's wrong with SMS? I found it to work really nicely.

Depends how long you've had your 3g model for. But at the mo the text inputs lags from time to time, and im a keen texter so it bugs the hell out of me.
alot of people are experiencing this.

My wish would be to have 1.4 on the iphone 3g until they fix 2.0. as the app store isnt that great for me until they bring out turn by turn navigation.

Ill just keep wishing :)

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Having to replace my car charger, and TWO home cradles.......

HAS PISSED ME OFF more than anything.

Im back to a $400+ phone anyway. Like they HAD to change the way the 3G charges...... B. S. Corporate F&ks.

What a crock. Did I need new cradles? no. I could have accepted the fact that apple didnt give us a cradle like they did last time, and be a fan boy and say "Who uses a cradle anyway? Just set it on your desk".

I USE THE Fn cradle!!!!! I need one for my kitchen and one for my office. I already bought them.

Apple WILL get their money. Believe that. Cheaper phone ....My ASS.

I also will admit I loved the aluminum back on the last phone better than THIS plastic crap that EVERYBODY that picks up my new phone says " WOW, Thats gonna' scratch". This fingerprint, scratch magnet is a joke. Like the front wasnt bad enough, fingerprint wise. They went plastic on the back for cost. "F" you fanboys. You really know why. GPS my ass. You just wont admit it.

Im done venting......and DONT feel better.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

marksman said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

I love my new iPhone I really do but I really miss my old one. This one feels better in my hand but also much lighter. I sold my first gen the day after I upgraded. Seen my pals first gen yesterday and it's was like hey I used to have that. Like seeing an old girlfriend. Ok it's late but I do miss it.
Anyone else????????

The difference in weight between the two phones would be impossible to detect by just holding it.

well I had both phones in my hand and the new one did feel lighter. I'd say it's the plastic back that gives the effect!!!

Ozz.Man

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
Text input on my first gen iPhone lags too, this was a bug in the 2.0 upgrade that many of us are patiently waiting (and hoping) for.

I love the first iPhone, since 3G isn't here I see no reason to upgrade, after reading this thread makes me glad I didn't.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
...bought the 3G for 3G and GPS.

Have them both off all the time because they kill the battery.

I basically have a more expensive contract and my old iPhone....

Exactly, that's what I do with my iphone 3g to conserve battery life. However, the 3g and GPS sure does come in hand when I'm out of the house/office.

Helps kill time when you are waiting while your GF/wife is at the store shopping and you do not want to go into the store. Plus, I'm new to the Orlando area and do not always my Garmin with me so GPS helps me get around.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
i tried so hard to resist the lure of the shiny white 3G iPhone. it didn't work though... :rolleyes:

as far as regrets, the biggest is the battery life. i wasn't expecting anything outrageous, hell, i didn't even expect it to last as long as my 1st gen. but, the reality for me has been that the battery life is quite piss-poor. i actually had the genius bar swap one out for me. they were a little reluctant, but i had been in a day earlier and that genius had asked me to give it one more full charge and chance and if i'm still not satisfied to come back. i had about 4 hours of real-time use, including 55 min of phone use, very little data transfer, and 30 min of ipod.

they swapped it our for me, though. their reluctance to exchange was because, in their words, the battery life i was getting was pretty much par for what they were seeing, and they were seeing a lot of complaints. the geniuses basically said that 3G + GPS is a battery killer and there's no way around it. they said that they really wished the specs on apple's site would get adjusted to reflect the real-world.

sorry, tangent:rolleyes:. so, only regrets: battery life, and of course, the increased data plan/SMS charges.

TheGeekNextDoor

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2005
I'm having pre-regrets...

So the GPS helps you navigate between your wife and your girlfriend? Cool.

On a serious note... I've got a 16 Gig 3G on order to replace my 8 Gig 1st gen iphone. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should even pick up the order when it comes in.

Concerns:
I'm a little disappointed with indoor 3G reception. My friend got a 3G iphone the other day, and when he brings it in the 2 story building where we work, it switches over to Edge almost immediately. We work right off a major highway in Atlanta, so the 3G coverage is supposed to be pretty good there.

The build of the case varies. It seems like after they stamped out all of the plastic and little metal parts, someone forgot to hit the edges with a grinder to smooth them out a little. Even the mute switch feels relatively cheap.

I hear stories about how horrible the battery life is, but I have another friend who abuses his 3G iPhone and gets decent battery life. He'd be the first to complain. Since I leave mine plugged in 99% of the time on a typical day, I am nots as concerned about the battery.

Likely Reason to Purchase:
The biggest reason I'm thinking about actually picking up my 3G when it comes in to the AT&T store is the NetShare app that appeared, disappeared, reappeared, and disappeared again from the Apple store. I grabbed it while it was there. Tethering my MacBook Pro to my phone via wifi for random use would be huge. Use the Edge network wasn't horrific, but having 3G speed would be amazing.

GPS is a nice feature, but not mandatory. There are several times when having true GPS would have come in handy, but I would have been happy to turn it on at that point. But since I have a car dock for my phone (which has been verified to work with the iPhone "Classic" and iPhone 3G) I could drive around with Google maps on and tracking everywhere I go. If anyone wants to know, I can get you the details on the charger. It was designed for generic iPod use. You just have to say I don't care that this wasn't designed for the iPhone each time you plug a phone into it.

Sorry for the long post. I understand where the original poster of this thread is coming from. I almost have regrets for even ordering the 3G. There is something to be said for getting by with something a little more older and "classic".

thisonechance

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Chicago, IL
I waited a couple weeks before jumping at the upgrade and I have not yet regret it. I purchased a week 30 white iPhone (no cracks yet). The speaker is nearly twice as loud, the agps is a nice feature and 3g is at home on the iPhone. I live in Chicago and 3g coverage blankets the area, it is great!

The battery life has suffered, but I think it is at the fault of 2.0, and less of the 3g. My first generations battery has suffered as well. I have noticed that after a handful of cycles, the battery in the 3g gets a bit better.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
Honestly, the main reason I upgraded was because my V1 iPhone is only a 4GB. If it had been a 16 or even an 8GB I probably would have held off. But my reasoning was, if I want more storage, why buy an "old" version?

I pick up my 4GB to play with it occasionally and I can feel a difference in quality. This 1st gen feels much more substantial and better built.

But that's just me...

Same here

I looked for 16GB V1 and they were selling for significantly more than the 3G so i took the plunge.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Nah....

No regrets here. But I have to say that the main issue I've seen is the battery which can get beaten down awfully quick. Having a quick charger around certainly removes that issue but in a car that's a problem if you want to listen to music AND charge.

Ridax has a $40 solution out in August/September. I'm going with that. I want to be able to charge and listen to music in the car. And best yet, no intermittent buzzing with 3G like on the old iPhone. :p

GregInAZ

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
I regret restoring my 3G iPhone, which updated the firmware slightly, does that count? :) I didn't experience the weird responsiveness issues others had mentioned until I did that.

I do still have my original 8GB iPhone that doesn't have service but I'm having a hard time letting go of even though I don't use it any more.

I like 2.0 for the apps and games and 3G is much nicer when I'm able to use it, but 1.x firmware's were definitely better for battery life and stability.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I think it is worth it in a few ways: calls sound better, system volume is better and when I do use 3G for internet it's great. Funny though, when I turn everything off and basically turn it into a 1st gen iphone, I see much worse battery use. The first phone I could get like 4 days standby with a few hours use. This new iphone on Edge only and I get about 2+ days with the same usage.

Wow I did think that using your 3G phone like a first gen (crippling 3G and GPS unless absolutely necessary) would result in longer battery life than for the original iphone. But I'm starting to think that part of the problem lies in 2.0 -- I have to say that maybe I'm staring at my phone more than I used to but it does seem to run out of juice -- particularly while in standby -- a lot faster than it used to. It cannot go for days in standby any more!

I'm trying to decide if that is a 2.0 problem, a usage problem, or is it just that my old iPhone is *old* and I NEEED that shiny new one! I do think it may be a 2.0 problem.

darkavenger508

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
battery is fine for me. However never once did my og iphone crash even with using installer. but so far I've had to restore my new phone twice cause it keeps crashing while using the app store

joebokeh

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I have the white one right now...

I DO miss the first ones , but I'm a fan of heavier phones for some odd reason... That thing was built so solid... I think they're just as sexy as the new I ones...

They are all very nice phones... You cant go wrong... Cmon people, it's great to have them available and be available to it...

There are people that can never even consider getting it, either because of financial reasons or they only have sticks and rocks to play with...

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Nobody I know with a 3G regrets upgrading

I think they just wish the 3G networks were a little more stable as a few are having problems with it and honestly, the 3G part is pretty much why they upgraded.

Though like I said, they love the volume increase, space increase, and occasional 3G speeds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.