Anyone sad there are no consmetic changes

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dany M, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Dany M macrumors 6502

I saw this posted up in another site and was wondering what poeple here think?

For me I like the look of the mac pro but idk, maybe something the resemble the imacs, idk???

2. just02 macrumors member

We probably won't see many cosmetic changes until something more substantial is upgraded in the Mac Pro. Maybe not, who knows.

With that said, I would have liked to see new designs, although the current Mac Pro is an amazing machine aesthetically. :)

3. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I love the solid industrial-modern brushed-metal design of the Mac Pro. Mine sits on an unobtrusive desk in my living room where it complements my taste in Bauhaus furniture and looks very much in place.

I suspect it'll be updated in 2009 for the next iteration (Nehalem). I just hope they cleave to a similar design concept (industrial modern). I know of no PC's that can compete with the MP on that front (I'd like the Voodoo PC's were it not for the tattoo curlique on the front).

What I hated about Macs in the late 90's/early 00's was their use of translucent plastics. They looked too much like they belonged in a 11 year old girls bedroom.

4. TripleCore macrumors regular

No, since it's tucked away under my desk. And there are a lot of peripherals that ascribe to that aesthetic, as well as much of the Apple line.

It's big, but I swapped in a new hard drive and loved how quickly and easily it went.

Expect one maybe with the Nehalem update.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There's a casing around the DIMM risers now. That's enough to prevent a lot of fraud on eBay if people know what they're looking at. 'S good enough for me; Cheese Grater Forever!

6. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

The current design is still awesome. It's such an iconic design. It just screams professionalism.

At the company I work for, the Macs stand amidst (too many) Dells and the Macs outshine them completely, in every way. :cool:

7. drrich2 macrumors member

I'm not enthused about change for the sake of change.

Are there specific aesthetic or functional form changes people were wanting?

Or just to make the line line visually distinct from the old?

Richard.

8. astrostu macrumors 6502

<soapbox> I mean no rudeness to the original poster, but ... I honestly don't understand why people get hung up over the case. It's solid, it's a neutral color, and it's rectilinear. It has nice curves and good ventilation. It may be large, but that's because of the expandability inside, and it's designed to be subtle and not stand out in hot pink shouting, "I'm a Mac!"

Most of these go under a desk or in a corner. Mine will go under my desk against a support of it, and so I need it to be rectilinear (my G4 bows out which forces me to have it not right up against the desk support).

While I'm not in love with the design, I don't have a problem with it and don't understand why people get hung up over it (like complaining for this and the late '06 model that "it looks like a G5," or, "why didn't it get updated, it looks horrible and I'm not going to get it now"). </soapbox>

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm not in the market for a tower. Likely never will be. But as much as they look nice, they look the same as they have for years. It really would be nice to see a new design.

10. fernmeister macrumors regular

I like the look and I like that my ACD and powerbook share the aesthetic.

With a tower the most important thing is to not be ugly, rather than to be attractive.

11. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

meh. couldn't care less.

"pro's" don't buy computers 'cause they look pretty.....

12. MikeL macrumors 6502

Cosmetics? It's a tool, not a lover.

That said, it takes a few revisions for Apple to get new case designs right. At least that's the history. Look at the differences between the G5s and the MPs. Very similar exterior, but the MP cases are far better. The MDD G4s originally had power supply problems. The previous G4s all had that nearly useless Zip drive bay. The original G3s had height restrictions on their DIMMs.

The current case is very functional. That's what matters to me.

13. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Still looks pretty sharp to me. It might look like a dog in ten years, but they do something nice before then!

14. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

No definitely not sad.

I had a G5 Powermac before and the Case is perfect!

No need for change

It Works.

15. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Firstly it's a clean, sharp design. Secondly like a previous poster said, Pro's don't worry too much about the look of it.. performance is what counts.

Lastly Apple is definitely waiting and will update the design for Nehalem.

On a side note.. I seem to remember there was a mention in a press release, referring to the new MacPro as an "early 2008" model.. Do you think that they may release the Nehalem version end of year or hold off till 09?

Either way.. I will still be purchasing the latest release.. just curious.

16. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

im happy, since i don't feel as envious, when i only have a 2.66. If it was in some mouth watering new case, i would be more inclined to ebay my little baby.

Plus yes, i've always loved the current designs (then again, anything was better than those G4 MDDs)

17. deathshrub macrumors 6502

I would have been angry if they changed the design of the case. The inside and outside are both perfectly designed. Buying next Tuesday or Wednesday. :)

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's what's inside that counts but I'm glad it's not ugly outside either.

I love the way they look. I don't have one (yet) but I hope when I do that the cases are exactly like they are now.
    Of course I say this having no idea what they have in mind for the future, and they may surprise me, but currently I like it the way it is.

19. trollking macrumors member

trollking

I think some people were thinking that since the update took soooooooooo long that they were probably going to update the case. There maybe some dissapointment in that. I would have liked to have seen some design update but it isn't a big deal. The case is nice and clean and the inside is pretty well designed. After dealing with an 8500 back in the day, ugh removing the motherboard to add ram was a lot of fun. And then a G4 Quicksilver... an okay design for a lot of upgrading but drive installing was a pain in the ....

The set up for the current systems, updating is a dream.

I will be interested to see what they come up with for a design in the future though.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

They're nice, but also bloody massive.

I love my 2001 Quicksilver. Better looking than anything since.
    Installing drives is easy. I've installed 2 HDs that took about 5 mins and replacing the CD-RW for a DVD-RW took about 2 minutes.

21. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Having just installed new drives, I have to say that this case is magnificent. It is also beautiful. So what if it looks like a Power Mac G5 on the outside? It is a great example of form and function merging beautifully to create a tower that is silent, runs cool and is easier to install drives and cards and RAM without ever reaching for the toolkit. Bravo Jonathan. Your design is as vital today as it was on the day you introduced the Power Mac G5 to the world.

22. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

i have no problems with the design, in fact, i was pleased that they didn't update it. There is something so classic about it.

23. volvoben macrumors 6502

I was just a little disappointed, but it would have been totally unexpected if the case changed.

I like the case, especially from a functional perspective (grate=airflow, size=expandability), the only problem is that it will be replaced or updated within a few years (nothing's guaranteed, but the case is what, 6 years old now?). This is only a problem because this type of computer tends to be owned for quite a while due to its cost and power, and when your computer looks old it's harder to sell and it's harder to keep one's self off the apple store looking for something new.

Perhaps i'm overly aesthetic (i suppose photographers are supposed to be, aren't they?), but when I'm considering something I tend to stare at that thing. Do i need a new car? well, i tend to think about it while sitting in it or looking at it...although i'm thinking of the pros and cons of putting a new clutch in a 14 year old car with 280,000 miles, i'm still looking at the thing, and i'm sure it has some (irrational) impact on my decisions.

All this said, the point is this: I will inevitably purchase the last generation of every apple product before it changes, so i'll let you know when I buy a new mac pro, and then you can count on change.

24. Graphis macrumors member

I agree: those multi-coloured imacs were on every 18 year old secretary's desk, and teenage girl's bedrooms. Nothing wrong with taking computing (and Macs) to an audience that wouldn't normally perhaps go for it, or making it more user friendly, but they were definitely girly.

I love the aluminium look, and I'm happy they didn't change it. It looks solid, robust, and professional.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not in the least. Actually, I was hoping they didn't F it all up trying to make it look plastic, black, and shinny.