iPad mini Anyone See Mini Screen and Decide No?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Nov 2, 2012.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Anyone decide not to get the mini after seeing the screen in person?

2. m3gatran macrumors member

I didn't want the mini, until I went into the apple store and saw it in person. then I walk out with a 64 gb iPad mini.

3. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

Just walked out with an iPad 4. But. The mini was very nice. Beautiful form factor and the screen is very nice from reading distance. However, close up it is a little bit disappointing if you're used to retina. If it had been retina? Maybe. Retina and A6, I would have got a mini instead.

4. matthijst macrumors regular

Yep, I did.
    Really, really, really wanted to like this device, but the screen stopped my from buying one. The size is great, the weight is good, but that non-retina display :(

If you don't have an iPad 3/4 you might be fine with it, but for me it's hard to go back to the blurriness.

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Yes, me. Not that I had the option of even buying one since they were all spoken for by scalpers. But, even if I did, I wouldn't have bought one.

The mini would be a Kindle replacement. A screen that pixelated is not replacing any Kindles. It's a fine device otherwise. Great build quality, super light (like, seriously light), really fun to hold.

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

The screen looks fine in person to me. The text is slightly sharper than the iPad 2. Honestly, the screen isn't THAT bad. It looks fine.

7. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

This x 10!

8. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I will hold off on ipad 4 and mini for now. Then get mini with it has retina. ipad 3 is great for me right now.

9. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

Just got the iPad 4, I saw the Mini and while it is really beautiful the screen just seems a little too small for my needs.

10. Davieis macrumors regular

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Poo, just bought it and am second guessing myself.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

thinking you should have bought the 4?

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I'm curious to see it in person (Pondering for my Special needs daughter), we only have iPad 1's and older Touches to compare. I have an iP4, but I can barely read it without my reading glasses anyway... :eek:

So since we haven't been spoiled I think we will be fine with the resolution!

14. monaarts macrumors 65816

I have one being shipped to me today but I was going somewhere this morning so decided to stop by best buy to check it out. I was also worrie about the screen, but that worry went away real quick.

When I loaded the same apps, books, and websites on the ipad mini and ipad 3 (they didn't have the 4 on display but it is the same), they looked almost identical. This comes from someone who had amazing eye site too.

Seriously, Apple had three options with the ipad mini:

1) release it like they did
    2) put the retina (would have to be the same resolution as the ipad 3, aka overkill) and a better processor in it and lose out on battery life
    3) do option 2 but also add a large battery to make it last ~10 hours and make the device much bigger and heavier

I'm glad they went with option 1! :)

15. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I have played with the iPad mini this morning, and honestly after seeing that, I don't think Apple will change the display in the 2nd generation.

The screen itself looks retina when look down on the display table.

The screen looks sharp under normal reading.

The screen's pixels are visible when you want to look hard and close to see the pixels, even then it's so small and doesn't bother me. (almost smaller than the size of the needle tip).

It feels better than the iPad 3/iPad 4 and screen looks good enough under normal viewing distance. I picked one up.

16. matthijst macrumors regular

A few years ago probably ;)

17. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Mind you, this is all your opinion. I feel like we're playing tag in different threads (or, rather, I'm playing tag by myself on your threads...lol). I had the opposite reaction as you. The screen does indeed look better than my iPad 2's screen, but it certainly looks much more pixelated than my iPad 3's. I could obviously do just fine if I had to use this device as my daily driver. But I don't, so I'll pass until rev 2 next year.

18. monaarts macrumors 65816

Haha. You know I meant has. :p

19. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

This. I wanted to see it in person before deciding. Went to the store, played with one in person. Loaded some apps, checked out photos. Honestly, it looks great (at the regular viewing distance). The web can be tad bit crude with the tiny fonts, but otherwise it looks great.

After I bought one and was about to walk out, I saw the 4 on display and compared the two side by side; it really didn't seem that different.

I'll be enjoying this one for awhile I'm sure. It runs cool, light and the display is great. No complaints.

20. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Don't let people on here get you down on your purchase. Spend some time enjoying the device. I have an iPad 2 and love it. Actually spent 5 hours last night reading a book on it that I couldn't put down. If the Mini's display is as good (apparently it's slightly better) I will be more than satisfied.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

No way. :) I opened the box with my iPad mini cover in it a couple days ago, and got so excited just about the perfect size of the thing that I'm spending this entire morning standing in the kitchen, on the off chance that UPS will bring my mini before noon (when more likely it will show up around 5:30).

As others have noted, the iPad mini's display comes off as slightly better than that of the iPad 2. My iPad is the original one so I don't expect to be disappointed when I read stuff from the mini's screen. Anyway my own retinas were made in the 1940s so there's a limit to how much honest concern I'm entitled to express over pixellation. I'd probably have to round up a magnifying glass to notice it. :D

22. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I used to have a Retina iPad 3 and I'm sure it'll be fine. It's like going from a Benz to a nice VW. Both nice cars...but there's a little more luxury that we get spoiled with on the Retina.

23. steggerwoof macrumors newbie

steggerwoof

The wife and I wandered into the Apple Store today to pick up a lightning to 30-port adaptor and a spare lightning USB cable for our iPhone 5's, also came out with 2 16GB iPad Minis!!! :)

Honestly, the feel of it in your hand is amazing, my wife currently has the iPad 2 and I have the 3 and when comparing the weight it's massively lighter.

I use mine in bed most nights for reading and a bit of surfing and the 3 can get a little tiresome with the weight or trying to balance it properly. For me this is a good enough reason to be happy with the non-retina screen. My wife uses BBC iPlayer on the train to work to watch programs she's downloaded to her iPhone, she can now put the iPad Mini in her bag and watch it on that instead, she was convinced she didn't want one until we bought mine, sat in Starbucks having a coffee and I opened mine up and started having a play, the second she started using it she was sold :)

We now need to decide what to do with the iPad 1, 2 and 3 - probably sell the 1 and 2 and let the kids use the 3 :)

24. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

Love it

25. schulzmc macrumors regular

After about an hour and a half using mine a lot, I have absolutely no problem with the display. Is it retina? no. But after a minute or two do I see a difference between it and my retina iPad? Not really. I'm loving it!