Anyone selling their iPhone 5 in prep for 5(S?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iproductsuser, May 2, 2013.

1. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

I am seeing that the new iPhone is rumored to be announced around June 20th and was wondering if any members have already sold or getting ready to sell their iPhone 5 to get maximum value before the next gen iPhone is announced.

This year, instead of signing a new 2 yr contract, I am planning on selling my iPhone 5 and planning on buying the next gen iPhone outright at launch hoping to get a delta $ of ~$200-$300 similar to what i'd pay to upgrade a line anyway. Any other users do this?

What are you guys using once you sell your iPhone? Galaxy S3? HTC phones? Trying to figure out which phone I can get that is still an awesome phone and can get all of my money back when I sell or damn close - i've been looking at the HTC One; I am cool with paying the high price that they're going for as long as I can get most or all of my money back in 2 months when I get the next iPhone.

Thoughts anyone? :apple:

2. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

it seems pointless to do, if you really have to do it get a 3gs

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

The new iPhone is likely not coming out in June. You'll be going for several months without an iPhone if you sell it now.

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I've only had my iPhone since October or so last year so no I will not be jumping on to the next release. The i5 is still a brilliant phone which I thoroughly enjoy using on a daily basis. Once iOS 7 is out and if some of the rumours are in fact true, the phone I have currently will still provide a pleasant experience until the end of my current contract. :)

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

This next iPhone will be the first model I'm skipping.

Now that it's obvious Apple is ignoring the thousands of us that would benefit from a larger display, there's no reason to spend money for nothing. No matter what this upcoming model has its of no interest to me.

Conversely I eagerly await my Galaxy S4.

In just a matter of days I'll have a gorgeous 5.0" display to fill my needs ideally. While it'd be great to have an iPhone with this display, Apple can make far more money by recycling the same old size as last year.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

There are also customers like myself who have no wish to have a huge phone and feel a 4 inch display is perfectly adequate for its purpose.

Sure people like yourself are disappointed your preference isn't being suited, but then if it was, then people like me would be disappointed. Thankfully we have a competitive market full of choice so people like yourself can chase the phone of your dreams. In an ideal world Apple would make phones of all sizes to suit everybody, but hey someone often has to lose out. :)

7. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

Or maybe they are listening to the millions that don't want a larger screen :D

8. osofast240sx, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Not selling. But I will be moving my parents off metro pcs($80) on to T-Mobile for an extra $10 per month. They will get my 5's

9. maxosx macrumors 68020

There's very strong rumors that Apple will cave into demand & offer both sizes next year. Proving if not for being so quick to take advantage of the ability to force those who want an iPhone this year, to buy the current size.

I never said anything negative about the current size, after all we all have different needs. Besides I've been enjoying both Android & iOS platforms concurrently. My Galaxy S3 has been stellar.

It's simply a matter of being an Apple enthusiast & shareholder for years, and all too familiar with their arrogant greedy side.

----------

Apple does what benefits _them_ first & foremost. You're only kidding yourself if you believe otherwise :D

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While I can see selling now, as the price of the 5 will be lower once the 5s hits, I'm not looking to unload my phone for what will probably be a minor update.

I could be wrong but most of the S phones have been minor. I'm happy with the 5 and I might as well live with it for another year, though the HTC One is tempting me :eek:

11. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Still on the 4s. I used to upgrade with each new iteration, but I tired of it with the 4s. Now I'll probably upgrade every other release, and may even wait for the 6 (whatever comes after the 5s - if that's how it's working now).

12. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

I do hope they give the option to those wanting it. Honestly, I don't know which one I'd go for if they had a 4 and 5" inch models.

Yet, I see no reason not to give the choice. They've given the choice in laptops and desktops for years. Tim Cook said in the last earnings call that this was because there wasnt a high quality 5" display on available, sounds like a bit of a dodgy explanation.

13. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Seems like a crazy thing to do to me. I will just enjoy my phone.

14. iproductsuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not asking for peoples opinions or what they think about the next gen phone, I am asking for anyone pursuing this route now or soon. I've never gone this path before but I recall in years past how phone values drop a lot when the new one is announced and want to try a new plan this yr to avoid signing a new contract all the time (however I am on a fam plan and we all rotate upgrades but I dont' see a need to if I can upgrade my phone by selling and buying outright for the same price as upgrading).

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe so, but I remember people last year selling their 4 and 4s phones for a good price at this time of year. When I went to do the same thing the law of supply and demand kicked in. Craigslist was flooded by everyone trying to seel their 4/4s.

If someone is planning on getting the 5s, and they can live without their iPhone for a while, selling now should yield more $$ then after the 5S hits.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, I keep my phones for 2 years and then give them to my GF who keeps them for 2 years. I think it's hilariously tragic that people somehow think they're devices will somehow be rendered useless as soon as a newer model comes out.

17. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

The way they also said no one wanted a tablet smaller than the iPad, until they released the iPad mini and it out sold the iPad "classic" in droves :rolleyes:

5" iPhone = death of the current iPhone form factor, AND death of the iPad mini sales... who needs an iPad AND an iPhone if the iPhone screen was larger ?

Its all about selling two devices for more profit when you could produce one that would keep users happy

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Wanting the new iPhone is not believing the current one is useless, especially now that iPhones have LTE.

19. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

:eek:

We are talking about them making the screen bigger not smaller ! I don't want to carry around a huge phone in my pocket i am happy with the current size. I was talking from my opinion not Apple's, if i want a bigger screen i use my ipad :rolleyes:

Ipads are different to phones..

20. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I'm selling my T-Mobile iPhone 5 if anyone is interested!

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, I see flipping phones every 10 months as pretty asinine but that may just be me.

22. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I want a larger phone, so that i don't have to carry both a phone and an ipad around with me, i find the samsung galaxy Note 2 is the perfect single device size, unfortunately it doesn't run iOS, so i am forced, much to apples delight, to purchase two devices, and lug them both around with me (and yes i have to carry BOTH as i need my phone with me, then i tether my iPad mini to it when i need remote access to servers etc that the iPhone screen is just to small to be usable for)

23. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I'll get the iPhone 6 when my contract is up. I skip the "S" products because they don't appeal to me and it's too quick of an upgrade.

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

Selling the phone so far in advance of the next one coming out just seems silly to me. You're looking at being without your iPhone 5 for almost 5 more months just to possibly make $70-100 more in resale value.

What's the point of even getting the latest iPhone if you only plan to keep it like 6 months?

25. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Especially on an iPhone, it makes little sense selling it that far in advance. iPhones hold their value so well, you don't stand to save that much money even if you want to deal with the inconvenience.