Anyone stick with the original iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by intervenient, May 1, 2011.

1. intervenient macrumors 6502a

I really don't think I can justify $550 (after tax) for an iPad 2...but I do think $375 for an original would not be too hard to swallow. Anyone here still enjoying their original iPad, or any iPad 2 users thinking they could have survived with the original?

2. Hustle macrumors 6502a

It's only a gadget. I'm pretty sure everyone could 'survive' without one.

For me, if you're going to buy a gadget, you might as well buy the newest one if you can afford it.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yup, and I work around the iPad 2 all day. Still don't see any compelling reason to upgrade.

If I was buying one from scratch I'd go for an iPad 2 but as an owner of the original I'm not looking longingly at the new one.

Definitely check out the iPad 3 though, I'd like to see what Apple can do with it after another year's worth of work and if anybody can come out with a compelling competitor the software should be nice too.

4. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Of course- we're not all made of money! Still loving my first gen- use mine daily, great machine.

5. sineplex macrumors 6502

Took me a while to decide but now I'm buying the top of the line model for the full experience. I can justify it buy re selling it on ebay next year just before they launch iPad 3. ;)

6. OSMac, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

iMovie and the cameras sold us,
    the quicker web browsing, hdmi mirroring and lighter weight is a bonus.

Had planned to sell the original but we are putting both to use now.
    Also a number of games can be played with 2 iPads.

I can also understand people buying the original to save $150 or more.

Once or if a retina version comes out that's the one to get.

7. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

The upgrades were not compelling enough to justify an upgrade. I find with Apple products, it is okay for me to skip an iteration without missing much as oftentimes the revisions involve incremental upgrades.

My iPad still serves its purposes, which are email, light web surfing, games, etc. at work where I don't have wifi. I now use my new MBA instead of my iPad on the couch, and for light work so I am skipping iPad 2 but onboard for iPad 3.

8. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I still have the first generation that I bought on the first day and I like it more every day.

I did look at the iPad 2 but saw no compelling reason to upgrade yet.
    I'm going to wait till the iPad 3 is out and pass my current one onto my son at that time.

But if I was buying one now for the first time I would get the iPad 2.

9. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

What he said.

2 original ipads (3G-32 and WiFi-64). Haven't felt any need to upgrade, the original does everything I want.

I am guessing in a few months that there will be a number of apps that make use of the improved cpu and gpu, and won't run well on the original ipad. But I haven't run across anything like that yet.

Not to mention that I like how sturdy the original ipad is. Enclosed in a tpu case, my ipads have survived tumbles and drops (due to 5yo and 9yo use). I have some doubts that the ipad2 will be as sturdy.

That being said, if I was buying for the first time, I would definitely buy the ipad2. The extra $175 is worth it. Actually, since I would buy the 3G+64 version, it would be quite a bit more...

10. marvlaw macrumors member

The first generation iPad was great an did everything I needed it to do. I had no plans to upgrade as the iPad 2 didn't offer anything that compelling. I was lucky enough to have won an iPad 2 so I took that opportunity to sell the first one and use it to pay to upgrade the second one. Otherwise, I would have stuck with it.

11. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I wouldn't mind if they kept the original case of the iPad 1, and stuck all the parts in iPad 2 inside the iPad 1 case. Even plugging the 30 pin and headphone jack felt more sturdy on the iPad 1. I loved my iPad 1, but I do like my iPad 2 a little more because of the added features, but it isn't a deciding factor for upgrading. Once newer apps, and new iOS firmware comes out, then that's when people with original iPad's might be thinking of upgrading.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

I bought the iPad1 after the iPad2 came out.... got mine on a good sale. I figured the iPad won't be a 'mature' product until at least v3 or v4 at the earliest. So I picked one up cheap to see what the fuss was about (I like it, but it's not changing my life) and will wait for a couple of years before seriously looking into an iPad 3, 4, or 5.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i didn't bother to upgrade. if they would've upped the resolution on the screen i would have considered it, but i'll probably be good at least until the 3rd gen if not 4th gen.

14. Noisemaker Guest

I upgraded, and I don't regret it in the least. The iPad 2 has way more power, it's lighter, thinner, and the cameras are a nice addition. I've found myself doing far more with the iPad 2 than with my former iPad 1.

That being said, you can definitely get by with an iPad 1, and it's far from an outdated or bad device.

Within a few months there will likely be some iPad 2 specific apps (just as there are now many iPhone 4/iPod touch 4G apps), but I wouldn't worry much about it. The best games still work, the productivity apps still work, etc. You're set.

I'd go with the cheapest on the 1G iPad though. There are $350 16GB refurbs in the Apple Online Store, and many stores still have stock left for similar prices. I wouldn't drop $600+on a past gen device.

15. ethics101 macrumors regular

I have already vowed to skip the iPad3 and wait for the quad core iPad 4 :p

16. MrMoore macrumors 6502

:::raises hand::::

:D

I've played with the iPad2 for a bit. It is nice enough, but I don't think it warrants replacing my current iPad.

The camera is nice, but I am not much a FaceTime person (still have a iPhone 3GS, so I haven't much exposure). For my needs; web browsing, Netflix, MLB.tv and iBooks, the original is still acceptable.

I usually skip even releases anyway.

iPhone: Original, skipped 3G, Got 3GS, Skipped 4, Get whatever they call it whenever then release it.

MacBook Pro: 2007, 2009, 2011. All had great resale value.

I guess it comes down to, as always, what are your needs and will whatever version satisfy those needs.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I checked out the iPad 2 and it's a nice update, but not enough of an improvement for me to justify upgrading from my iPad 1. however, if I didn't have an iPad, I'd definitely get the iPad 2 over the original as it's probably worth the extra cost

18. Chiisu macrumors member

Chiisu

iPad1 still meets my needs

While there is a part of me that wanted the iPad2 (ooooh, shiney and new), my iPad still meets my needs. I think I can wait until later in the year, or even next year for iPad3.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, still have mine. I did go through a moment at the launch where a new one seemed a good idea, then the backlight bleeding started and put me off.
    Now I realise in actual fact, it's basically exactly the same as the 1st model, and there is virtually no software that takes advantage of the new model, so seems little point.

If they had changed the UI to be a lot better on the new model then I would consider it more. But the iPad I have does everything I want of it.

20. cube macrumors G5

21. sevimli macrumors 6502a

See you in 3 years. :cool:

22. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I bought my iPad 1 right after the 2 was announced and I'm very happy with it.

23. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I have the original. Saw nothing compelling to upgrade and no applications that I had to have that only ran on the iPad 2.

I'll consider it when the 3's come out but certainly even then won't stand in line for one like the rest of the lemmings.

24. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If they had upgraded the display, I would've changed out my old one in a heartbeat. Since they didn't, it wasn't worth the extra money to me. I did swap out my wifi only model for a 3G refurb from AT&T because it was a screaming deal, but there just weren't enough compelling changes to the ipad2 to make it a "must have" in my opinion. For me, the camera function is a waste of weight and space as I'll never use it, and the rest of the upgrades were just small incremental ones as far as I'm concerned. I'll probably upgrade next year to the ipad3 though. :D

I personally think the newer version is worth it only if you're going to use FaceTime and that sort of thing on it regularly, because at this point that's the one thing you can do on the ipad2 that can't be done on the original.

25. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

I am still loving my first Gen as well. It works flawlessly and I have not had a single problem with it since the first day. While I like the smaller/lighter factor of IPad2 I am not a fan of the shape as it was hard to hold in the store.