Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Ahab

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
I gave up on finding a new one, didn't want to wait forever and I bought an iPad 1 at $200 less for what an iPad 2 of the same size memory would have cost me. Love it, use it daily and will upgrade when a higher-resolution iPad is released.

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
I'm a first day buyer of the 1st gen iPad and never considered exchanging it for the successor after only 1 year. I'm still totally happy with it, it's my everyday notebook-replacement for surfing and email.

1. I'm no fan of cameras in tablets or cellphones, I'd never videochat or take pictures with such a device. I'm not a snapshot-person and when I decide to take some pictures, I rather go with my big and heavy SLR - sorry, I'm a lens and image quality junkie.
2. Don't care for the faster processor, i think my iPad is very fast and I don't use it very much for 3d gaming.

The only advantage of the iPad 2 for me would be the HDMI adapter supporting full mirrored tv out (especially for surfing in safari), not only in selected applications. But I can live without that...

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
I definitely wouldn't sell my iPad 1 to replace it with an iPad 2 - the difference in features / performance isn't worth the cost of upgrading.

However, I also wouldn't buy an iPad 1 new when the iPad 2 is available. The difference in price from a discounted iPad 1 to a new iPad 2 is small enough to be worth the extra.

David

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Add me to the list of people still rocking the first gen, but if you're going to buy your first iPad, you might as well get the most recent one. It will be no time before the next gen is out. It's worth it to get the newest product available.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Still have my 1st gen. Works fine for now. Waiting on HP to release the webOS tablet. Wife is looking at the asus EEE transformer. I think apple tried to go to thin and the results were bad units. I like the feel and size if the 1st gen. Am in no hurry to upgrade but I visit allot of sites that require flash. So my next will not be an iPad.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I stuck with the original iPad, to me the second one isn't worth the money. I would never use the camera on it...that's what my iPhone 4 is for.

Sure, the speed and graphics bump is probably pretty nice but I'll wait for the iPad 3.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
I have already vowed to skip the iPad3 and wait for the quad core iPad 4 :p

I'm sure iPad 3 will be quad because the Sony PSP 2 which will be released around November
is going to be quad. Expect quad for iPad 3 and retina for iPad 4

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I am still loving my first Gen as well. It works flawlessly and I have not had a single problem with it since the first day. While I like the smaller/lighter factor of IPad2 I am not a fan of the shape as it was hard to hold in the store.

This. The iPad 2 is great and ultimately designed for the person that doesn't already have an iPad at all yet; either that or they want the dual cameras. I don't think it's worth the jump from 1 to 2 if you aren't getting anything in return.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I'm still using my iPad 1 every day since launch day last year and loving it! It's my main and only computer at the moment since I've sold my 15" MBP and I'm waiting for Apple's Back to School promo to buy a 11" MBA. The battery lasts me a whole day with 20%-30% left over. My iPhone 4 is around for FaceTime and it has better cameras anyway.

The iPad 2 is spectacular if you don't already have an iPad. It's amazingly fast and thin. The battery life is still king and queen compared with any other tablet. It's got the same cameras as the iPod touch. IPS screen and all the rest. But if you already have one, it's not that much of an upgrade unless you game a lot. Even then, the iPad 1 still runs 3D games like RRHD and others remarkably well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.