Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
I'm keeping my 5S because it just feels better in my hands and is a fantastic looking device. I used a 6s for a couple of weeks, loved 3d touch and the blazing speed, but, it was too slippery to hold and it's kinda ugly.

It's a shame the 5s doesn't have full support for Apple Pay without an Apple Watch, though.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's called a choice. Exercise it.

That being said, the 5s is a fantastic phone. Hands down the best iPhone ever, GOAT.

Nah, it effectively had less RAM than the iPhone 5 because of the switch to a 64Bit processor. The i5 reloaded less than the 5S and was just as fast in real world use.:p

My top two iPhone GOATs:
iPhone 6S+
iPhone 4

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Nah, it effectively had less RAM than the iPhone 5 because of the switch to a 64Bit processor. The i5 reloaded less than the 5S and was just as fast in real world use.:p

My top two iPhone GOATs:
iPhone 6S+
iPhone 4

GOAT
5s
4s
6s plus

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012

My top two iPhone GOATs:
iPhone 6S+
iPhone 4

By definition, you can't have two GOATs. :) I'd also say the iPhone 4. That was just an incredible phone when it came out. I still remember being in complete awe when Steve introduced it. I remember how he compared it to an old Leica camera. Instant classic of a design. Of course now I look at it and laugh at how I once used a phone with such a small screen!

Reactions: sunking101

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
By definition, you can't have two GOATs. :) I'd also say the iPhone 4. That was just an incredible phone when it came out. I still remember being in complete awe when Steve introduced it. I remember how he compared it to an old Leica camera. Instant classic of a design. Of course now I look at it and laugh at how I once used a phone with such a small screen!

Yeah, and yeah. I loved that phone more than any other. It was the first phone I'd ever owned that did everything I ever wanted and also looked & felt like a million dollars. It was the start of my phone addiction, I could never put it down. Like yourself I look at it now, crippled by a version of iOS it can't handle, and tiny. I choose to remember it how it was in its glory days. The 6S+ though, man what a powerhouse. After a succession of mediocre iPhones this one, for me, brings that iPhone 4 feeling back again. Without the looks though!:D

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Yeah, and yeah. I loved that phone more than any other. It was the first phone I'd ever owned that did everything I ever wanted and also looked & felt like a million dollars. It was the start of my phone addiction, I could never put it down. Like yourself I look at it now, crippled by a version of iOS it can't handle, and tiny. I choose to remember it how it was in its glory days. The 6S+ though, man what a powerhouse. After a succession of mediocre iPhones this one, for me, brings that iPhone 4 feeling back again. Without the looks though!:D

I would love to remember it as it once was, but every time I see a 4 nowadays I just bust out laughing. Especially the white one. It literally looks like a child's toy.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I would love to remember it as it once was, but every time I see a 4 nowadays I just bust out laughing. Especially the white one. It literally looks like a child's toy.

I have the black one, the white wasn't out for such a long time after release. It's tiny yet very heavy. I'm amazed that I spent thousands of hours browsing the web on something so small.:D

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I have the black one, the white wasn't out for such a long time after release. It's tiny yet very heavy. I'm amazed that I spent thousands of hours browsing the web on something so small.:D

Me too. Absolutely. And typing? How did I type emails on that thing. Even nowadays I have trouble with my 5 which I still use every now and then. It's like super fat finger syndrome.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Me too. Absolutely. And typing? How did I type emails on that thing. Even nowadays I have trouble with my 5 which I still use every now and then. It's like super fat finger syndrome.

I know, I must have typed tens of thousands of SMS and hundreds of emails on that microscopic keyboard. It makes me laugh when I read the occasional post on MR from people who say that the 6+/6S+ is 'still too small to do any real work on' and that they do all their main stuff on an iPad. :D

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Still on iPhone 5 here, but I don't mind the size of the 6s (4.7). I'd have no issue upgrading.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 since 2012 and I said I would be holding out for as long as possible, I actually still love it mostly for it's size and I just installed a new battery a couple months ago, it's like brand new again.

However, the older I get the more I would like a larger screen, I'm on the verge of ordering a 6s, I literally went through all the screens to order and then on the last screen I backed out, looked down at my iPhone 5 on my desk looking back at me and stopped the order. How crazy am I? I really need a larger screen but the 6s+ is way too big, so I may get the 6s. I really want touch id, apple pay, want to be able to use a content blocker for ads, need more space maxed out of my 64 GB, faster processor and more ram would be cool.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It's admirable for some to stick with their principles, but at some point you will be forced to adapt or be left behind.

Agreed. The market has made a definite shift to larger phones. I don't think Apple will be making a phone smaller than 4.7" any time soon.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I'm keeping my 5S because it just feels better in my hands and is a fantastic looking device. I used a 6s for a couple of weeks, loved 3d touch and the blazing speed, but, it was too slippery to hold and it's kinda ugly.

It's a shame the 5s doesn't have full support for Apple Pay without an Apple Watch, though.
I couldn't agree more.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
My only beef with the 5S is that due to it being quite narrow it cramps up reading websites a lot compared to the 6.

I do hope that manufacturers realize there is more to phones than 5-5.2" and 5.5-5.7" sizes. There is nothing wrong with big displays as long as it's done without making the dimensions of the phone bigger. IMO for the size it is the iPhone 6 series could have a slightly bigger display in the same chassis. Changing the home button design would allow for maybe taking about 2mm off the bezels by enlarging the display.

The thing is that somewhere along the line Samsung and LG decided that these are the display sizes they want to concentrate on manufacturing and everyone else had to go along to the point where barely anything else is available if you exclude stuff like Sharp's mostly Japan only phones that cram 1080p displays in minimal frames and have done so for the last two years or more - something I thought I would see all manufacturers doing by now.

In the last month I've looked at nearly every phone that is smaller and deemed most didn't fit my requirements. Sony's Z5 Compact came close but even that could have a bit bigger display.

I really hope that Apple can deliver a better effort on the 7 series as right now many similar size Android phones have larger, higher res screens at the same physical size with bigger batteries and OIS cameras. Don't take me wrong, the iPhone 6 series is quite alright but it's not going to win any design awards anymore.

Congo Javabase Resources

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
Touch ID.
3D Touch
Slo-Mo
Time lapse
Live Photos
SplitView in some Apps.
But mainly Speed of the phone is so ludicrous.
You're arguing that these are core functions for a smart phone? I can't tell if you're joking or not...

I don't understand your reasoning. Not to get too nosey, but you own a 2013 Macbook Pro - a computer that is slower than the 2014, and the 2015 Macbook Pros... it still gets the work done for you, though -- so obviously it seems unreasonable to update the laptop every single year. I think the same principle applies to phones:

For some reason, there's a cultural acceptance to upgrading phones every year just because Apple releases a new phone every year. Yet, this doesn't apply to their laptops. Why not, though? They're both computers.

Also, another thing, is your Macbook Pro a 13 inch? Even if it isn't, there's no arguing against the fact that the 13 inch Macbook Pro is more popular with consumers than the 15 inch. But why? People argue they don't want a "large computer to carry around" when working... yet the opposite logic applies for phones.

As a conscious consumer, these are the things that I pay attention to and think about A LOT. Apple releasing a new phone every year =/= I must upgrade every year.

Alternatively, notice how Apple's 15 inch Macbook Pro is just as popular as the 13 inch? Less popular, but it's definitely successful enough to not be phased out like the 17 inch. Well, this should suggest that if Apple started releasing flagship phones in two available sizes: one that caters to their "small, nimble, intricate, minimal, and sleek" pocket computers philosophy. And then another that caters to the "bigger is better, more real estate, slightly better specs with size increase, Samsung competition" philosophy then you'd see that people would definitely opt for both equally.

But there's no way to say for sure that "people have just moved on and want bigger phones"... it's simply not possible because (duh) Apple doesn't even offer consumers multiple sizes for their flagship phones... I'm hoping they do next year.

Last edited:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
This to me seems like part of the strategy to help sell the Watch. The 6 addressed the growing chasm of lost market share to Samsung, without necessarily leaving the 5s in the dust. It's still a fantastic phone, I didn't buy mine until the 6 came out, and I don't regret the choice in the least. In fact I'd buy one now if I didn't have one already, as it's an excellent value for the price. Then the watch came out, the only way to add Pay to the 5s. Now the 6S comes out using the same design as the 6 -- to be expected. The 6 is now even more affordable to the Samsung crowd further expanding Apple's customer base. Apple Pay is great, but it's not really widespread enough to be manditory on every iPhone. With merchants still not activating chip and contactless payments, and many who don't yet accept Pay, with over half the banks in the US still not supporting Pay, there's more infrastructure to be built before every phone needs Pay. By the time the iPhone 7 comes out, Pay will be far more widespread, most if not all merchants will be using chip and contactless POSTs, and Pay will be far more common, understood, and useful. The 7 also offers an opportunity to introduce a newly designed smaller form factor. They may introduce three sizes, or they may introduce a smaller format 4.7" display closer to the overall dimensions of the 5s. Considering the iPod Touch lives on with a major new upgrade this year, it's hard to imagine Apple sees the 4" display form factor being obsolete. If any customer would have benefitted from a 4.7" display it's the iPod touch, which might have boosted sales. If the touch lives past the introduction of the iPhone 7, I can't imagine it won't get a larger screen.

That said, if the 7 doesn't deliver for me, I won't have any choice but to upgrade to get the next smallest iPhone, to take advantage of Pay if nothing else, because by then it will be everywhere. But who knows, by that time, I might be able to carry my 5s as a wifi only phone using wifi calling via continuity, when I need as small as possible a portable mobile device if I'm going somewhere I know I'll have wifi access.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It was a small phone but I am a bit shocked how much of it was taken up by the bezels even then! iPhone 4/4s was my favorite to hold and use and was beautiful. I did even read books on the tiny screen. I didn't like the 5/5s because it was too tall and fit in my front pocket awkwardly.

I've made my peace with the size of my iPhone 6S plus at long last. I will never claim it is a joy to carry but I use it an awful lot. And as long as Apple reserves its best features and battery for its largest flagship iPhone then that's likely the one I'll get. But I'll always support those wishing for a smaller more pocketable model that can still do Apple Pay and offer a good camera. I think it's not prudent to abandon those customers entirely.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
I really need a larger screen but the 6s+ is way too big, so I may get the 6s. I really want touch id, apple pay, want to be able to use a content blocker for ads, need more space maxed out of my 64 GB, faster processor and more ram would be cool.

just get the 6s, you will handle it the same way as the 5s after 2 weeks and you wont look back ever to such a tiny screen. seriously.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Agreed. For all intents and purposes, the jump from a 4" to a 4.7" screen isn't all that big. People in the 5s bandwagon will get used to it fairly easily.
So you're essentially saying the jump from the 4.7" to a 5.5" screen isn't all that big either (in fact it's the same jump from 4" to 4.7"), and those who claim the 6S is perfect for them, but the 6S Plus is too big, will simply get used to that as well, given no other choice?

That's great news for Apple, since it means they only have to make one size phone, and opens the door to make a 6.2" screen phone!

Reactions: Ulenspiegel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.