Anyone still happy with their 3G ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulsalter, Jun 21, 2009.

1. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I know its inevitable that there are loads of threads about the new 3Gs, but is anyone still happy with their original 3G ?, I keep seeing loads of threads now saying how poor the 3G is.

Mine is still fine and does everything I need from it, the 3.0 software has only made it better

Am I alone ?

2. m.ariel macrumors newbie

m.ariel

Happy 3G owner

So far, my iPhone 3G has improved after I installed the 3.0. I'm thinking of keeping it for quite awhile and hope that Apple come out with a totally brand new iPhone in the future.

3. sunny1985 macrumors member

same here dnt really want to spend that much on a fone wen mine is still working!!! £500 for a fone i could get a laptop with that money!

Thanks but no thanks!

4. phannon666 macrumors regular

Personally I think the S was a bit of a yawn upgrade. The free 3.0 update added much more than the 3G S does for hundreds of £s. I'll quite happily wait for the 4th iPhone

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Same boat. I don't need video, and Safari is snappy enough :D on the 3G phone for me.

Besides, when Verizon jumps on board next year, I'll be at the end of my contract and can happily sign on with them.

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

I love my 3GS. Upgraded from a 3G and the speed improvement is enough of an upgrade for me. :D

7. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I'm happy with my 3G and OS 3.0, also on a 24 month contract so next year I hope for a completely new iPhone

8. Axl Rose macrumors regular

Im pretty happy with it still, i dont really need to shoot video, and i plan on upgrading every other year, so ill just get next years revision, not worth 500 bucks.

9. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

10. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

As much as a speed increase is nice, I personally don't see this as a reason to upgrade

I have a MacBook (2007 Model) works perfectly for everything I need it for, should I upgrade this all the time to just get a faster model

Same with the iPhone, the speed is fine for what I want, I don't need to upgrade this each time a new model comes out

Suppose i am different to others, I don't see any point in constantly upgrading when the current things do the job without any issues (if killer features i need where added then it would be different)

11. aonflux macrumors member

Worth every cent!

I upgraded from my Phone 3G to the 3GS and am not regreting it at all. The difference is amazing! Everything renders so fast it's almost instant. I did update my old 3G to OS 3.0 and it was quick but nothng compared to the 3GS. So for all the undecided ones out there, I'd say go for it!! :)

12. Streamer macrumors member

I'm still more than happy with my 3G. As my mother told me "Patience is a virtue" and "Good things come to those that wait", and so next June, when we get the next iPhone upgrade, I shall be eligible and I can smile as all the new 3GS owners squeal about their contracts.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, the only problem with your analogy is that today's MacBooks or MBPs aren't literally twice as fast as your computer. That's not a minor speed bump, it's huge. ;)

14. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

True, all I was trying to say (badly) is that do we constantly need to upgrade just because something is faster (not saying anyone shouldn't if they want to)

the main apps I use are mail,calendar & phone, these all open in just over a second so for me I cant see how twice as fast really makes a difference (if it currently took 5 seconds or more then yes)
    The main delays I get are with the poor o2 network, which I don't believe the new model will fix

I didn't start this thread though to knock the new model, just to see who is happy with the previous one

15. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

If I could get the 16gb 3gs for $200 and not $400 I would have upgraded. The 3gs is a marginal update. Apple is touting 4yr old features
    as new. Voice command and video. Wow. 3.0 (better late than ever) has made the 3g born again. 3gs and 3g are essentially the same phone with the obvious differences that are not really deal breakers. Video- jailbreak the 3g and it cand do that at lower quality than the 3gs, and the 3gs video recording is not even that great, it's fair at best. Compass- never needed that. Voice command- that's so old. At the full discount price I would upgrade, but not for $400, plus I don't want to start another 2yr contract with Att and pay for the data plan.

16. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I agree with what's been said. The 3G with 3.0 is great and I'll wait for the next iPhone.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Had there not been an iPhone 3G S⃣ released, but 3.0 came out, then I would've been perfectly happy with that. Also, had I been completely unable to afford an S⃣ , then I probably would've remained happy with my 16GB 3G.

Ultimately though, I did get an iPhone 3G S⃣ 32GB and am happy with it. Yeah it's an evolutionary thing, but it's just enough of an evolution for me to want it.

- As someone who relies on his iPhone a lot, the speed difference is very noticeable. I remember how smooth and responsive the 1.x firmware was on the 1st Gen iPhone, and 2.0/3.0, while very useful and serviceable on the previous two generations of hardware, has never quite felt as smooth to me. Some reviewers have used the analogy of getting a fresh new computer with the latest OS, and feeling how smooth and responsive it is. To me that's pretty accurate.

- The camera is a significant enough improvement from the 3G for me, in terms of quality, and capability.

- My music/video library is happy for the extra capacity. I went to the iPhone from a 40GB iPod, so having to originally drop all the way down to 8GB was pretty rough. Although I adapted, now I'm about back where I was about 2 years ago. :)

- The magnetometer is a nice touch. Not a necessity, but VERY useful and a time saver when trying to navigate while walking in a busy urban jungle with the Maps app.

- I ended up getting a black iPhone 3G but noticed that way more people had black iPhones than white ones, and the white ones seem to stand out more. So, I figured I might want to try switching colors this time around. :)

All in all, none of the above make the S⃣ an absolute must-have, but for me, they combined to make it worth the upgrade.

It also helps that the 3G model is still fetching a really good price on eBay. All told, I was able to recover nearly all but $30 of what I paid for my 16GB 3G last year, and that's only because I opted for a quick, same-day sale. Had I preferred to stick it out for a week or so in a traditional auction, some people are bidding on used 3G models for more than what their sellers likely paid for them when new. Using the sale of my 3G to subsidize my 3G S⃣ made a HUGE dent in my upgrade costs.

The iPhone is the only model of phone I've seen that people are willing to pay so much for used. Most other phones are practically worthless in terms of used resale value after just six months or so, especially after a new/improved version has been released.

One other thing to note: the iPhone has actually slowed my expenditure on cell phones by quite a bit. I used to buy smartphones, rave about how great their are for like, a week, then progressively get more frustrated with the limitations, the crashes, and the annoyances that each one had. Sometimes a glitch would cause major fiasco involving massive data loss (I once had two years' worth of e-mails get deleted by a Blackberry while it sat it its holster). Then I'd grow tired of it, and 2-3 months later, some competing model would come out and I'd eBay my then-current phone to switch to that new model. Then the cycle would repeat. I've used Palms, WM devices, Blackberries, S60s, you name it, I've had my gripes about it.

Except for the iPhone. :) I originally swore I'd never get one because I thought it just has to suck. Then after trying one for a while in an Apple store, I was hooked. Since then, the only upgrading I've been doing is when the new model of iPhone comes out. Other smartphones just don't interest me anymore. Not to say the iPhone is perfect, but it's a significant improvement over everything I've used before, or tried since.

18. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I'm more than happy with my 3G - there still aren't many phones or media players out there that can beat it.

So I'm more than happy to wait for the next upgrade - I would like more space 16GB is a bit tricky to manage sometimes but otherwise there's nothing in the 3GS that would make me want to upgrade now.

I'm pretty sure it will be worth the wait - If you look at the changes from the 1.0 to the 3GS - I'm hoping the changes from the 3G to the 2010 iPhone will warrent the change

19. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm waiting for Apple to put a better screen in the iPhone. I'm really disappointed in the displays they've been using. I hope next year they switch to OLED or at least a higher quality LCD.

I'm fine with iPhone 3.0 so far.

Please don't bookmark this post and then come back here if I do get an iPhone 3G S and say "OH, I thought you weren't getting one... blah, blah, blah". Feelings change for people all the time. As of right now, I want to hang onto my iPhone 3G.

21. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

+1 for the happy 3G users

As I am in a 2 year contract, I am going to sit this model out and will upgrade in November 2010 to the next version.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I gave mine to the wifey and she loves it (she had a 2G). With that said, had she not dropped hers in a glass of tea I'm not sure I would have upgraded. Now that I have I enjoy the new features, but like the other posters mentioned I'm not sure this was a "must have" upgrade. The 3G is still spectacular!

23. Stiss macrumors 6502a

I think the 3G S has stop gap written all over it.

Waiting next year for a free upgrade i.e no ridiculous charges from O2 I'm also waiting for a true successor.

24. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Count me in as one of the happy 3G users. I would love to upgrade to the the 3GS, but I'm not eligible for the upgrade price until 12/15/2009. So I could wait 6 months and then decide or spend an additional $200 and get the 3GS now. For $200, I think I'll wait. Then when December rolls around a 3GS would make a great Christmas gift to myself. At that point I'd probably opt for the 32gb version since I am currently at 8gb. Not that it's a necessity or anything at the moment since I still have 3gb free. But with the $200 I saved by waiting might as well go for the top of the line.

On the other hand, when December rolls around, I could easily decide to just skip the 3GS and wait another 6-7 months and then get the next iPhone since they seem to release a new model every June or July. At that point I would then be eligible for the lower price at that time as well.

As for the 3G, well with the 3.0 software the phone is better than ever and now that there are apps coming out that I have missed from my Palm and WM days and those apps are entering their maturity with each new update (i.e Pocket Informant) with new features I find the 3G a bigger pleasure t use than any other platform I've had in the past.

25. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yes I'm happy. You know, until I see someone I know with a 3GS and thinks of it as just another phone.

When the time rolls around to upgrade next year, then I won't be happy with my 3G.