Anyone still have a 1st gen iPod touch that is still going strong?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blackhawk08, Jan 30, 2012.

1. blackhawk08 macrumors newbie

I cannot believe how well this thing is still working. I use it a lot and it holds a charge for quite some time. When it finally gives I am jumping to the iPad ship. Anyone else with a 1st gen?

2. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Sure. These days it's mostly used as a remote for the iTunes Server though. I know it's silly, but I love the little acrylic stand that they shipped the iPod with. :p

[​IMG]

3. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Yeah, mine's still alive and running. The battery life isn't what it used to be, but it's good for long road trips. Since I've got an iPhone now it doesn't see as much action as it used to. 8GB just doesn't cut it anymore either!

4. genejockey macrumors newbie

I've got one that is still hanging in there. It mostly spends its days tethered to a bookshelf sound system in the kitchen as a Pandora portal but occasionally comes on road trips for listening to podcasts.

5. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

Yep, I still have a 32GB 1st gen. I don't use it much these days, as my iPhone sees a lot more action. It still works and looks perfect, though. it's been in an agent18 case since day one, and there isn't a scratch on it.

6. California macrumors 68040

California

Cool on the touch. Matt I noticed in your sig that you have a 750gb hard drive in your 2009 mini?

Did you have to do the squeeze thing to get it to fit? I'd like to do the same thing on a 2009 mini.

7. MacScott macrumors regular

MacScott

Mine is still fine other than the batteries. I have to charge it every few days now, even if we haven't used it at all.

8. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

The amount of money that Apple charges for replacing the battery seems like a bad joke compared to what such batteries go for on eBay (also, compared to the price of a brand-new iPod). I was able to replace the battery of my 8-year-old iPod myself, but for the iPod touch this appears to require soldering, which I'm not really comfortable with. Not sure what to do about the issue once the iPod stops holding a charge... :/

9. HeHeHaha123 macrumors newbie

HeHeHaha123

yes I do it still works but I haven't used it since i got my iPhone 4, it has some wifi and battery issues. When I first got it week before christmas 2007 (a year before everyone else I know got one for christmas) it was $512 with tax for the 16 GB, no 32 GB, no app store, no bluetooth, no camera, no speaker, no gyroscope just base accelerometer, no home screen wallpaper, had only the 12 apple apps (for the first year till app store came out) yet. but when I bought it I thought it was awesome and when I got my iPhone 4 and put it next to my touch you could see how far apple had come with the devices and iOS (iPhone OS back then) the screen is SOO!!!! much clearer with the retina display 960x640 326 ppi vs the 480x320 163 pip non retina display and all the other upgrades are good too.

Does anyone still use their 1g touch as their main device???? cause it looks like from signatures that every body has upgraded to iPhone, iPad,newer touch or some combination of the 3.:):):):):):):):)

10. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Mine's still alive, but the battery dies on me very quickly after a recharge.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Mine's doing very well. Got it in October 2007 and still has a great charge retention.

12. MacStu09 macrumors regular

Still use mine as my main ipod. If you jailbreak a first gen, you can definitely get incredible life out of it. My ipod has had multitasking for almost 4 years now; gesture controls; sbsettings swipe bar - my personal favorite feature; changing backgrounds (drains battery quite a bit though); too many features to list.

Obviously, multitasking and backgrounds hurt battery life a bit; but when not utilizing those, I still get pretty great life out of my 1st gen ipod touch.

13. ThisIsRuss macrumors newbie

ThisIsRuss

My boss has a 1st gen iPod touch and still looks mint battery is just as good as new he only uses it once a year and still holds for hours

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Still have a 1st gen iPod touch. Battery life is still great. It's mostly used as a media remote now.

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Mine works perfectly but is always tethered to my B&W Zeppelin. Use it for Last.fm, radio etc

16. BrHop156 macrumors member

BrHop156

17. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

They make 750GB HDDs that are 2.5" at 9.5mm tall. It's the exact same size as the stock drive that came in the machine. It fit and runs perfectly, though you have to do some surgery to open the thing and swap the drives out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148599

And to keep it on topic, here's the backside of my iPod Touch 1st Gen:

[​IMG]

It still looks and functions perfectly :)

18. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

i still have one but i don't use it for one reason...The iOS incompatibility...

19. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I just gave it away last week as I purchased a new 32GB third gen. I loved it but 8GB is too little

20. Mindy60 macrumors regular

I have a 1G and still use it for music. Until recently, I wasn't able to do much more than that. Then I found iOS v3.1.3 and now I have Pandora, iheartradio, among other apps that work. YouTube hadn't been working, now it does. Wonder why iTunes didn't offer this iOS update.

21. just-being-me macrumors newbie

i still have mine battey's okay but it lags a lot, but i think there's a problem with the hardware :(

22. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Stll works great but battery dies pretty fast.

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I just got rid of mine to help fund a new MBP. I had a 16GB that still held a good charge and worked just fine. I had it in a Spec case since I bought it, so no major scratches on it. The only thing that drove me crazy was the lack of a physical volume button on the outside.

24. seong macrumors 65816

seong

It's still going strong!
    I can't believe how long this guy has been my side. Probably the oldest and still usable gadgets that I own.