Anyone still on a 3GS feel it slowing down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CAWjr, May 16, 2011.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I know the newer versions of iOS are optimized for the iP4, but I feel like my 3GS is running slower & slower every day. Is this a result of having too much crap on it, too little RAM for newer apps, or is it just because it is 2 years old & it is starting to show its age?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

3. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Blade Build/FRG83) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I recently got a 3gs and after a day or two I decided I didn't need of so I gave it to my wife then got a 4th Gen touch and the performance difference was easily apparent.

For a two year old phone it isn't bad at all but it probably is hitting its limit today.

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

See this thread to get it back to speed:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147821

5. yamaduc macrumors member

yamaduc

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

Just so everyone knows, it isn't just the 3GS. The 4 is running just as slow and jittery with 4.3.3

7. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

FWIW, my very well travelled launch day 3GS works just like it did on day one.

8. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Mine is for sure (slowing down progressively).

If I didn't know better I'd think Apple has an algorythm in the iOS that intentionally slows it down over time in order to produce more sales of iPhone 4 ;-)

Mike

9. wordoflife, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Mine isn't slow or laggy. I find having less icons makes the phone faster (at least in terms of animations) so now I have 1 full page, and a 2nd page with 4 icons. No problems here.

However, I do desire upgrading to the iPhone 4. Just to have the latest device, basically. And because the vibrate switch on my phone is acting up A LOT. But it'll be summer soon and I won't need to put my phone on vibrate as I wont be in school during then, so I have a feeling I can wait. The iPhone 4 looks so nice. I should have bought one earlier, but now I'd rather wait. (people reporting that its laggy with 4.3.3). Plus, I have an iPod Touch 4th gen I can play with until then. If Apple releases new software for iPhone in the summer, that would probably pull me out until November (what latest rumor reports). But the rumors have it at that there won't be anything new in summer. I'm pretty sure I don't run out of RAM on my phone because when I do, it gets pretty nasty ... and I haven't seen that happen unless I have some very large games open (or too many apps open in general).

My 3GS was refurbished as of September 2010, so battery life is still amazing. I think I had 4 hours usage, 21 hours standby, with 65% left.

Well thats just me trying to justify waiting with my 3GS. :p

10. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Mine felt crummy on 4.3.....until I saw this thread. Deleted these two lines of code and it smoothed out the OS incredibly. Must have root access though (jailbroken).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147821

It makes the animations much, much smoother. They were getting more and more choppy as 4.0 was updated each time.

11. dionisiog macrumors newbie

Buggy software updates downgrade your iphone

One thing is certain is that Apple has nothing to whistle about in regards to it's most recent updates. Here's a rather scarey and obvious bug... My weather app is set for 4 different cities, 3 in the same time zone yet after the most recent Apple update they are each showing weather for different days. That's a sync and math error. What else could be going wrong here that can't be so easily seen?
    Since Sunday, I have had long periods in which my phone couldn't connect to the apps store. AT&T's service is very unreliable but I am thinking this has nothing to do with AT&T for once. Since my most recent update my phone is buggier than ever, crashes more than it did even after the previous update. Apple is definitely not living up to it's reliability hype. They are
    making Microsoft, who I am not particulary fond of look rather good at the moment.
    Oh yes, my phone is a 1 month old 3gs so this is not an aged device. I think the time has come to wipe these most recent updates off my pbone & start anew.

12. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

This.

i keep my fiances 3gs on 4.2.1 and my iphone 4 on 4.01

13. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

When I had 4.0 on my old 3GS, it felt just as snappy as the iPhone 4 on 4.0.

I only own an iPhone 4 now. As Apple has added more and more onto the 4.0 platform, performance has consistently gone down with each update to my phone. I can only guess that the 3GS is buckling more under the weight of 4.X.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'm not really having too many problems with my 3GS in terms of speed. The only apparent bug I get is during WiFi updating of apps, where I get some sort of obscure error message about not having downloaded the app I'm updating, and then the process freezes. If I restart the updated app appears outside of the folder it resided in before the update. Weird.

15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I've had no problems with mine. Ever. Just as snappy and quick as when I got it on launch day.

16. patp Guest

your ip4 is running slow as the 3GS. Plenty of people report fast IP4's running 4.3.3

17. cruisencode macrumors member

I'm experiencing the same thing and it's starting to get REALLY annoying. I'm trying to hold out for the next version of the iPhone. :(

18. kre62 macrumors 68000

Really? Cause theres multiple gigantic threads on the front page of people complaining about the performance on ip4. The real problem is the animations are choppy, and it makes the phone feel slow. I linked to the thread with the solution earlier.

19. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

My 3GS is getting sluggish too. Sometimes takes a second or two to wake by which time I've pressed the wake button again only for it to then put it back to sleep. Very annoying.

20. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

If you are currently jailbroken, try downloading FakeClockUp

It's a tweak in Cydia and it's free

Makes a notable difference in my iPhone 4 so it will make a bigger difference on your 3GS, even though it's "fake" but it works, trust me