Anyone still rocking their Series 1?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rockitdog, Nov 8, 2017.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Just Curious if anyone is still rocking their Series 1. I recently parted with my Series 3 and am having some regrets. I'm not an avid runner or swimmer so I'm thinking about picking up a Series 1 since they are on sale. Is it still a decent buy or has Watch OS4 slowed them down considerably? Thoughts?

2. ericg301 macrumors 65816

im still rocking my S0 original....at least for a few more weeks. it's slow but still works.

3. Conutz macrumors regular

Conutz

S0 as well on 4.1. Bit slow, but fine. S1 will be better, but it may also start to feel slow when OS 5 comes around.

4. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

5. Bballrob macrumors regular

Bballrob

I had the Zero until the face became detached. Apple replaced it with a series 1 which I’m still using.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There are a lot of individuals who still use the first generation Apple Watch, which works very well with communication and fitness. Although, I don't believe in my opinion that watchOS 5 will be supported on the first generation Apple Watch. But if it does See watchOS 5, that's fairly promising to at least have five versions of watchOS to be supported, considering it launched back in April 2015.

7. mikey2004 macrumors regular

mikey2004

I only got my S1 in March, so no plans to ditch anytime soon, although since the os4 update the battery life has deteriorated

8. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

Series 1 is getting 3 days of battery from me on watchOS 4.1 since I set it up as new when I set up my iPhone X as new.

I don’t need the waterproofing of Series 2, and both are just as fast.

Series 3 LTE is interesting, but I always have my phone.

I plan to keep Series 1 for a couple more years unless the next version has some must have feature I can’t live without.

9. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

Same for me!

10. sactownbwoy macrumors 6502

I had the Series 0 until the battery swelled, got a Seies 1 as a replacement from the Apple store. I wasgoing to keep it up until yesterday. I really want GPS on my watch for running I hate carrying my phone with me when I run. I use the Nike Club running app and when I use my watch it doesn’t show the route. So I have to take my phone with me when I run.

So I’m finally going to indulge myself and get the series 3, gave the series 1 to my daughter and she’s in love with it.

11. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

Apple still sells the series 1 new, so there should be lots of people using it. I got a series 1 as a free replacement from Apple due to series 0 detached screen from battery swelling.....which is a very common problem with the original Watch.

My series 1 works just fine. No issues. I wish it was waterproof, but otherwise, does everything I need. I put the Watch in a Spigan cover/case, since I think the screen and aluminum body are pretty fragile. Also, I expect to get 5 years from the Watch. I am one of these people used to paying $25 for a Watch, so a device this expensive should last at least 5 year. I understand it might stop getting software updates during this time, but it should be able to perform the core features on older OS versions for its entire 5 year life..

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I had a stainless S0 up until a couple months ago, when I dropped it and cracked its ceramic back. Apple gave me a steel S2 as a replacement after my S0 got rejected by the repair center (twice; and I didn't even have to ask for the S2).

If I still had the S0, and/or if they had repaired it, I would still be using it, mainly because I don't need my personal phone or watch for my new job. I'd be seriously tempted by the S3 LTE, though.

The S2 is like a sped-up S0, and its GPS is only beneficial "after the fact" -- it only tells me where I was, not where I am. The revised construction layout and improved water resistance were better reasons for upgrading from the S0 to S2, but I felt no need to do the upgrade on my own. At least Apple chose it for me, and I'll hold off on an S3-4-5 until later.

13. Conutz macrumors regular

Conutz

It’s already taking a Herculean effort not to upgrade (not because of performance, just to have an shiny, new S3), so I’ll probably give in at around the time os OS5!

Is that in airplane mode or always online?

14. ArmPol macrumors member

I bought my first Apple Watch last week, an aluminium series 0. I thought I would test the water first to see if I like it, I do. My S0 is on 3.2.2 and seems fast enough for me. I think I will keep it for a few more months yet :)

15. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Sorry OP but it's an odd question. S1 is still sold by Apple. Of course countless people are using an S1.

The better question would have been who is using the S0 and how is it holding up. I was one of those people until Apple replaced mine with an S1 last week. The S0 ran 4.1 fine for me but my usage is limited to Apple Pay, notifications, and the Pocketcasts Watch app.

16. jljue macrumors regular

I got my S0 used when the S1 and S2 were released, but I'm still rockin' it and plan to do so unless it dies or my wife's Fitbit dies and steals it from me. Yes, there is some slowness at times, but it still gets the job done. I upgrade when something breaks or someone in the family wants my current device.

17. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

SB S3 LTE is my DD. Still use my day 0 SS S0 when around the house, working in yard or garage. Still works fine for basic time/calendar/notifications/workouts. Sapphire is pristine despite no efforts whatsoever to protect it. SS body has a lot of character rash, but looks good overall. Battery has definitely diminished. If I leave it off the charger during the day it will lose about half its charge without me even wearing it. Maybe that is due to extra power needed to connect to wifi.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the Sapphire display has been really impressive with the Apple Watch. And I think it's a smart move that they brought it to the Apple Watch, even if it is a small fortune to upgrade to the stainless model.

19. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Def. agree. Especially when you combine the SS model and some bands. When the S0 was released they had some wicked expensive watch/band combos. I originally wanted the SB. But with the link band it was almost $1,100 (!). My wife got to like the watch so I ended up getting her a 38 mm aluminium and me a 42 mm SS for less than one SB. I like the heft of the SS models, so the price is worth it for me (with a sports band, that is ;-) But I completely respect those that prefer the value proposition of the aluminium models.

20. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

still have an original SS AW. for what i use it for - it's great.

21. lmitch6 macrumors member

lmitch6

My 38mm SS S0 is still on my wrist daily, but it's starting to age. The battery barely gets me through a day anymore, and the display and finish are showing wear. I haven't babied it in anyway, but it's served me well. I'm going to upgrade to a 42mm aluminum S3 soon.

22. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Isnt S1=S2 SoC wise?

And S2 speed in real life use is close to S3, so its not that far behind is it?

S0 i would think is the dog by now, on watchOS 4.

But my S0 still on 3.1 supporting iOS 10 devices

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That depends. It depends what type of applications you're using and how you're using the Apple Watch overall. But the first generation Apple Watch still performs fairly well with communication and fitness. It's the third-party applications that are the most problematic in watchOS 4.

24. scotttnz macrumors 6502a

I was still using the S0 until a week ago, and for the basics - notifications, reminders, activity tracking, and telling the time - it was fine. A bit slow at times, but perfectly usable with OS4. I think the performance actually improved with each OS version. Now it has been relegated to gardening duty and sleep tracking, which it does well.

So far, the improvement I have most noticed on the S3 is the much brighter display. It is much easier to read outside on a sunny day, while wearing sunglasses, which I love. The S1 has the same display as the S0 I believe, so for me that would be reason enough to pass on the S1 and look for an S2 or S3 instead.

25. Conutz macrumors regular

Conutz

Quite right - I use mine mainly for fitness and communications (in that order!) and it’s fine. There’s a bit of lag sometimes, but that’s been there all along, not only in OS4. That’s why I’m trying to hold out until 4th gen., while I do want an S3, it’s hard to justify in my case.