Anyone still using 2.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jul 15, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

First of all... lemme start off by saying... I have a poor old iPhone 3G.

I upgraded to 3.0 GM the day it came out and last week I downgraded back to 2.2.1 and lemme tell you... it's like having a new iPhone again.

3.0 was slow and laggy for me. The animations were jerky. Even the animation for launching 3rd party apps looked like they just snapped into place (home screen icons disappeared instead of flying away). The fact is... it seems like 3.0 was designed with the iPhone 3GS in mind and then however the 3G runs it... that's the way it's going to be. When I had an iPhone 3GS... everything ran great. 3.0 on the iPhone 3GS is really nice.

When I got rid of my 3GS, the iPhone 3G seemed even more laggy and choppy... that is until I downgraded back to 2.2.1. Tell you what... the difference is amazing. My iPhone 3G now runs and performs almost as well as the 3GS did. The animations are really smooth and the launch times are fast enough.

The UI in 2.2.1 is more consistent too (which makes it look more pleasant). I think I heard that the Mac OS team originally designed the iPhone OS... and now they're back to working on OS X, so there's a new iPhone UI design team. In my opinion, they're not as good and the UI comes out looking sloppy/unfinished. That's how I feel.

Truth is: iPhone 3G belongs on 2.2.1 (after all, it was built for it) and iPhone 3GS belongs on 3.0.

Anyone wanna downgrade and share their experience?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh Spaz ... really?
    My 3G runs great on 3.0. It must be you.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

:roll eyes:

Did you do a 'Restore as New' when you went to 3.0? No one is having any of the problems you described on a 3G or a 3GS. Furthermore, 3.1 is looking to be fast and stable on all devices.

I have a developer original iPhone that was running all the 3.0 beta builds and found that it had enough processing power for 3.0, never exhibiting the animation lags you describe.

4. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I can't help but wonder why it is necessary to spam this forum with repeats and repeats of repeats.

My experience of 3.0 on an original iPhone does not support your contention that 3.0 only belongs on 3GS devices. That I have found 3.0 to be marginally more laggy than 2.2.1 is true, but it is only marginal.

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Quick test: Open a third party app with a custom boot screen. You won't see the home screen icons scatter away... they pretty much just disappear. Then launch an Apple app (like Settings or something) and watch how much smoother that looks.

I've got my iPhone set up as new... no backups restored. I can compare them side by side because I have 2 iPhones. It does the same thing on my first gen iPod touch too.

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Only the really cool iPhone rebels like yourself use 2.2.1. I'm so lame with my super fast 3Gs on 3.0.

I'm so sorry Spaz. It must be tough being you.

On topic: I am on 3.0 Its great and 3.1 will be even better.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

We get that you like 2.2.1 better. You've stated it numerous times and even asked this question, though I don't think you've started an actual thread on it.
    I'm with za9ra22 on this one. I don't think it's necessary and it's borderline trollish for you to start such threads as I am unsure what your true goal is here.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Since you keep repeating posts about 2.2.1 being better, I'll repeat my post that 3.0 is much better. For me, it corrected a number of issues that were probably software-related. Also, I see no difference in speed at all.

Unspoken Demise: Just wondering why you say OS 3.1 is going to be much better. Are they adding any new functionality? Speed? Just asking, since you said it. I've looked at some threads, but didn't really see anything earth shattering (but I'll admit I haven't spent all my time reading them since it is beta).

9. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Tp keep this relevant, I have 3.0

Spaz's threads are ridiculous but hysterical. Just wait. We'll be up to 300 posts in no time.

10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its a feeling. I dont know for sure. But any .1 release usually fixes the bad stuff that a .0 release brought about. I guess its a touch of hope, but I think 3.1 will bring some nice changes. Im really pulling for a wifi fix. Thats my ONLY gripe about the 3Gs right now is my wifi isnt very reliable. Fix that and i'm gravy.

I CAN EXCUSE CERTAIN THINGS LIKE COSMETICS AND A STUPID YELLOW SCREEN, WHICH YES, I HAVE. I CAN ACCEPT IT UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE.

Naturally that was directed at no one. Dont mind me, Im just yelling at the sky.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I wonder what other people are doing differently to get 3.0 to run great on their iPhones.

I have a first gen iPhone (set up as new) and an iPhone 3G and they both run 3.0 the same way.

I'm pretty sure you guys have the same iPhones.

Also, 3GS users won't complain about any performance issues. There are none on the 3GS. This thread was not aimed at 3GS users because they can't downgrade to 2.2.1 anyway.

So far nobody has actually answered my question. Has anyone downgraded to 2.2.1 and noticed any difference? I can tell you first hand that I notice a definite difference (and you know my attention to detail). If I say there's a difference... there's a difference.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

This just in: A log cabin is sturdier than a modern wood frame house.

14. Phil22 macrumors member

Love this guy

TheSpaz I really like your input to these forums, your adept eye at finding faults is truly outstanding! You always have nice little facts (such as there being a new development team) which I find interesting. I think some people are a little harsh with you at times and to them I say - Don't post your snide remarks and just move on!

On topic I have the 3Gs so have not encountered these problems, however, my main gripe with 3.0 is the annoying jumbling of icons which seems to occur randomly on applications.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I've stated before that I find 3.0 to be a tiny bit flaky on my 3G ... but I'm holding hope that 3.1 will be proper.

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

When I responded I didn't notice it was a 'TheSpaz' thread.

Consider that 2.2.1 is the result of at least a dozen betas:

Each of these a reflection of between 2 and 7 betas! You mean to suggest 3.0 isn't as developed as 2.2.1?! The horror!

I've spent many hours resolving bugs since 3.0b1 and frankly your post is unnecessary, unfounded and rude.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history

17. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I would never give up the much faster page rendering in Safari and its ability to remember login information that came with 3.0. If I had too, I'd even put up with other performance problems in return for that. But fortunately, I have no issues whatever with 3.0. I'm on a "lowly" 3G also.

Sigh...

18. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

All I ever did with mine was update the phone each time. Nothing else.

Perhaps your question hasn't been answered because, of all other possibilities, no-one else has felt the slightest need to revert.

And just because you say there's a difference, it doesn't mean there is one. If you were right, then every one of us saying 3.0 runs fine would have to be mistaken. I can't speak for the others, but I know what my experience of my iPhone running each version of the OS has been in the two years I have owned and used it. Nothing you say here, and in these repeated nonsensical regurgitations, can change how anyone else experiences their iPhones.

19. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I thought you recently got a replacement? It's already "poor old" ?

:rolleyes:

20. sparkyms macrumors 65816

How many times do you have to tell us you're running 2.2.1 and how great it is?

Spaz, you're dropping the ball on your creativity.. we want new flaws and pixel shifts... please go study 3.1Beta and make some GIFs!!

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I didn't get a replacement for my iPhone 3G. I bought an iPhone 3GS and I didn't like it so I returned it and went back to my iPhone 3G and downgraded to 2.2.1. To me, 3.0 is too much of a sloppy mess right now.

It's funny... when I made fun of the 3.0 betas, people kept saying "It's only a beta! Get over it!" Well, the final version is here and it still doesn't seem polished... Hmm... Can't blame it on being a beta anymore.

I was drinking my soda when I read this and I almost spit it out. That made me laugh so hard! Thank you for that. Yes, I am anal about graphics. Sorry. Apple is usually very good with UI and attention to detail. Seems like now they don't really notice the details anymore. I notice them though. I really should be on the iPhone design team. I could fix all of this stuff.

22. sparkyms macrumors 65816

http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/

23. gumball981 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3G running 3.0, and in line with Spaz, when I first installed it I was pretty annoyed at how laggy and slow it was compared to 2.2.1. Everything was slower and delayed and it pissed me off that this brand new OS is worse than 2.2.1!

But after having it on my phone for a month I think it's been "broken in" a little bit and runs better than it first did, however I would be interested in maybe downgrading to see the difference...? But will not considering I have absolutely no idea how to do any of it.

So yes I see where your coming from about 3.0 being laggy on a 3G, and I can say for sure that it is not yet as sturdy as 2.2.1 was.

24. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Downgrading SUCKS to do. Here's how I did it:

It took me a few tries to get it to downgrade. Here's what I did:

First I put my iPhone in DFU mode and tried restoring to 2.2.1 on iTunes 8.2. I kept getting an error from iTunes before it would even start restoring.

So then I booted into Windows and tried it there... It restored, but then I couldn't get out of recovery mode with QuickPwn.

Then I went back to the Mac and put my iPhone in Recovery Mode instead of DFU and it was able to restore to 2.2.1 with an error at the end (this is normal). Now I was stuck in recovery mode again (but this is normal as well).

Then I used iRecovery to do "fsboot" and boot into 2.2.1 and activate it. That worked but as soon as I restarted the iPhone, it would go back into recovery mode.

That's when I re-booted into Windows again and used QuickPwn (this time it worked) to kick my iPhone out of restore (I didn't go through the jailbreak process... I only used it to kick it out of restore).

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I have a 2G and everything runs fine on 3.0

The only issue i have is i cant backup my phone now with iTunes but i have read that Apple knows there is an issue with that and it will be fixed with 3.1. I hope so but other than that, i have no problems at all with what you discribed.