Anyone still using a 2009 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockyroad55, Apr 15, 2013.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

After getting rid of my Retina and knowing it was too much power for me, I reverted back to using my 2009 15" that has been sitting in my closet as my backup in case something happens. For my daily uses (typing papers, that's it haha since my iPad can do everything else), the C2D is excellent for me. Heck, I'm not too sure why I got the retina in the first place.

2. simsaladimbamba

I still use a 2009 MBP as my main machine in clamshell mode, though I built myself an Ivy Bridge Hackintosh last week, but was not able to do more than install Mac OS X onto it due to work and travel. The 2009 MBP will be then regulated to a secondary machine and for travel, as I certainly feel its slowness, even with SSD and 8 GB RAM, but then again, I often use CPU intensive applications.

3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

My sister is using it, is going to turn 4 years of rock solid never had a single problem with it , I order mines with apple ssd best investment I ever made

4. page404 macrumors regular

page404

I just sold mine, but not because I needed more. Had 8GB of ram in it and was pondering if I'd invest into it by replacing the HDD for an SSD or hybrid.
    Reason for selling it was the fact that at the moment I could make some money with it on the secondhand market.

5. ArmyBrat99 macrumors newbie

my mom has one only two problems with it th little.foot things fell off and she had the battery replaced it swelled.but thats it

6. nycmi macrumors member

Still rockin' mine, got it as a refurb at the end of 2010. With a 7200rpm hard drive and 4 gigs of ram its still going fine for day to day tasks, though with my uni course getting exceedingly tasking I might need to start saving for something else soon.

Really waiting on retina versions of Logic, Pro Tools, Reason and Cubase to really win me over.

7. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

My 13" 2009 MBP still going without issues. Upgraded the RAM to 8G and installed an OCZ SSD well over a year ago and runs trouble free (so far!). I'm looking into replacing it with a maxed out 2012 MBA 13" (but will probably wait to see if 2013 MBA brings better battery life:D).

8. iPersian macrumors regular

im still using 2006 model

yep the first intel mac released.

its from 2006.

9. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

Yes, I still use a 2009 13 MBP as my only computer. Upgraded to 8 GB RAM and SSD, it's more than enough for the basic stuff. I would really like USB 3 to get some more speed when using external drives though. It's also a bit slow when using Lightroom or running VMs. Might upgrade to a Retina MBP when they get updated to Haswell later this year.

10. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

using a 2009 13" macbook. can't wait to upgrade to a haswell retina

11. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

I was. Had a 60gb ssd in it and optibay. Just sold it though and upgraded to a new MBA

12. ordo1980 macrumors member

Yup....

Still using my mid-2009 MBP 13... as configured below too. I may up it to 8gb and a SSD soon. I have a sweet Apple gift card too. I'm just not particularly partial to any of the current offerings right now, so I am waiting for either this one to conk out or an update I like. Fingers crossed for sensible updates and prices come Haswell. :D

13. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

How much do these things even go for if I sold it? I have the integrated graphics 2.53 version. I might upgrade to a 13" retina but who knows. I might also just buy a Samsung ssd and it'll definitely feel like new again.

14. page404 macrumors regular

page404

I owned a mid 2009 2.53" with separate graphics card and 8GB internal memory and sold it for €850. Might me different in your local economy :)

15. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I had one for almost 5 years. Not a single problem until a few months ago. I got them fixed and my brother sold it on e-bay. My new MBP is awesome!

16. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

My 13 inch mid-2009 mbp my main laptop. Recently upgraded to 8gb memory, runs 10.8.3 smoothly. I need to replace the battery soon though. Other than that, no issues.

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I still use my 2005 Powerbook:eek: to control my 2012 Mini.

LOL, exaggerating much, the earliest is a 17" released in January, shipped february, that's Max 4 years and 2 months!
    The 2009 13" and 15" are less than 4 years old.(June)

18. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

LOL... I had a goal of keeping my first MBP for 5 years. Though, the decision to sell after the issues that were present didn't make it 'worth it' to keep it. Sorry, I didn't realize what my statement would be read like by others. Sorry. I didn't clarify what I said better. :rolleyes::eek: BTW. The issues were fixed, of course before it was sold, of course.

19. klee1987 macrumors regular

I have a 2.26 C2D 13" mid-2009 on SL which I have had since June 2009 - upgraded to Intel SSD and 8GB ram. Still works great.

20. ooans macrumors 6502

My Late 2008 MBP (first unibody model) is still running strong.

I borrowed a 2011 17" quad-core i7 MBP from the university for a couple weeks, and probably due to it not having an SSD it actually did not feel that much faster on Mountain Lion!

I'm probably going to wait for the 2014 MBP model. Maybe then the SSD prices have gone down... because right now going from my current 180gb SSD+ 1tb HD(optibay) to a single SSD doesnt seem worth it price or spacewise.

21. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Still using my late 2008 15" unibody 2.8 Core2 Duo MBP. Only upgraded the memory to 8GB and OS to Mountain Lion. It had run flawless since new until the optical drive finally (I say 'finally' because it seems many optical drives eventually have problems) refused to read DVD's only, CD's are fine.

I would love to upgrade to the newest and coolest but I don't have a legitimate excuse. This 'old' laptop does everything I demand of it. I backup regularly because I keep expecting the ol' HD to crap out but it keeps chugging along just fine. I've accidentally spilled onto the keyboard, immediately turning it keyboard down and slapping the top of it like a choking baby dropped it several times onto a hard floor and left it in a zipped up backpack only to find it with the fans screaming trying to keep it from overheating. It was so hot I almost couldn't touch the bottom of it, I threw it in the fridge and pulled it out when the fans slowed down. Pretty much bulletproof.

In comparison, my wife's 'basic' 11" 2013 MacAir 1.7GHz Core i5 4GB memory loads super fast (SSD drive) and is much faster (i5), running programs in a snap! It's so light and handy after using it my MBP seems bulky and weighs a ton. Perfect for her (a reluctant PC convert and now an Apple fan :)).

22. mikewired macrumors member

Still using my late 2008 MBP. Recently upgraded to Kingston 240g SSD for 175.00 and a new battery. I may go ahead and put 8 gig of ram. I recently bought a 2012 air but I thing I am going to return it and wait and get rMBP or see what the next air brings? I would like IPS screen and at least a 1080p screen. The only downside to the c2d is the heat generation while the air stays completely cool.

23. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Depending on how demanding your MacBooks workload is, maxing out the memory is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to gain performance. I use Digital Audio software which can be very demanding. I noticed an immediate difference in performance when I upgraded to 8GB.

24. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I still use my 2006-7 MBP 15" and 17". I swapped out the oem hard drives with a Hitachi Travelster 1TB drive each. For my mostly light computing needs, those 2 units are meeting my needs. Of course, I am interested in getting the newest MBP; but, I stopped chasing the newest thing in tech.

I might get a new MPB 15" sometime next year.

As a side note, I stayed with my iPad1 before I added an iPad4 a month ago.

25. entropi macrumors 6502

I'm still using my rev A MBP 17" Hi-Res AG C2D 2,93 Ghz from April 2009! It still works great, has lots of battery life and has been upgraded with a Crucial M4 SSD and 8 GB of RAM. I'm only a bit tired of the size of it, sometimes the mba 11" my wife has is a bit more practical.... :D