Anyone switch from a 38mm to 42mm? Why?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eyeseeyou, Oct 20, 2015.

1. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I just sold my 42mm and have seen some deals on 38mm AW's for close to $200.

IMO they'll never be as nice as standard watches at $350+ but I still want the notifications and activity tracking.

With functionality being the priority are there any major differences to call out besides size?

2. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

There's probably a battery life benefit, but the crux will be the face and screen size - a priority for most, given the various types and amount of info available.

These vs. traditional watches - subjective. Hard to argue capability for the latter, though.

3. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I really used the aw for general notifications and activity tracking.

Would making the font bigger not resolve most of the issue of what information is displayed?

Also has anyone actually put together a chart of what types of aesthetically pleasing watches you can get in the Apple Watch price range?

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Here's an interesting video comparing the UI of the 38mm and 42mm.

You will see the text size difference between the 38mm and 42mm is not as much as you would expect. It's more a shrinking of empty space. The battery in the 42mm is larger and should get better life but in real world usage I have not noticed much difference. The 38mm is powering a smaller lower pixel display than the 42mm and that seems the biggest source of power drain.

5. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I kind of switched. I went to the Apple Store expecting to by the 38mm, but after trying them on I decided the 42mm was the way to go.

6. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Any specific reason other than size?

7. Kitkat52 macrumors member

Kitkat52

I had the 42 but switched to the 38. i thought the smaller size was less clunky for me. All personal preference.

8. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the video. Very informative.

9. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

That's pretty much the only reason. Size.

10. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I had thought he 42 would look too big on my wrist but it was the opposite... 38 looked a little small. And my vision isn't great so the bigger screen was attractive.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Before buying my watch, I did a lot of research and from what I found the 42mm had better battery life. I also read that the actual on wrist experience was nearly identical. Regardless that the 38mm was smaller it didn't feel or look smaller so why not get the larger one

12. Nightrich macrumors regular

Nightrich

The first Apple Watch I bought was a 38mm and the next one I buy will be a 42mm. Bigger display and better battery life are my main reasons and as long as it doesn't look clunky on me I'm happy with the bigger screen.

13. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

For me price is a an issue. I understand there is a luxury tax that comes with apple products(my desktop, laptop, tablet and media streamer are all apple) but $350+ is a hard pill to swallow for what you get when compared to other similar products.

At $200, $350 is looking way overpriced.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well you need to weigh what's important with you and your budget. I agree the AW is a luxury product and if you don't think you are getting value for your money with the 42mm watch then yeah it doesn't make sense to get it

15. eyeseeyou, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I agree and also know that everyone's needs are different which is why I created this post to see what I could be missing besides size.

Battery life could be a concern although it's not like I ever went more than 24 hours without charging my Apple Watch. I did leave it at home when I went camping.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When I went camping, I took one of those small portable batteries (The size of a deck of playing cards) and that charged up my watch at night.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have always been a fan of the 38mm. For the most part, I think it looks better on everyone. It looks more traditional. Battery life is irrelevant. I don't think an extra hour is making of breaking anyone here.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why sell in the first place if you still wanted notifications and activity tracking? Why get the AW at all if they don't matter to you?

19. eyeseeyou, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Want vs need?

For me $200 for actionable notifications and fitness tracking seems to fit my needs more than $400 for actionable notifications and fitness tracking. Obviously using apple products with other apple products has its benefits.

This post was to get some insight on the $1-200 difference in experience from the 38mm to 42mm

20. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

This. With my 38mm on the link bracelet, people barely even notice that I have an Apple Watch. The 38mm reads more like a regular watch from a distance. My sister just stayed with us last week, and it took her over a day to even notice that I wasn't wearing my usual analog watch. Of course, by the end of her trip, she went and bought one. :)

21. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

People being unable to notice you have an Apple Watch on might actually be an issue lol.

22. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Ha! My point is simply that the 38mm doesn't read as much like a computer screen on the wrist. It's a bit more DateJust in size, and that was one of the main things I was hoping for in the Apple Watch, after seeing the preceding Android watches.

23. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Good to know considering being an attention getting object on my wrist isn't high on my personal "needs" list.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Perfectly stated. Especially with the link bands. I usually wear the leather band and people only notice I have the AW if I am wearing the sport bands. I think it looks pretty damn good and not "techie" at all b.c of the size [​IMG]

25. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Where have you seen them for around 200? You've caught my interest