Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Im curious to see if anyone has done this, and what their thoughts are on it. Has anyone switched from the full sized iPad to the mini? If so, what prompted your decision?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Doesn't really count as a switch, but I supplemented my 9.7" with a Mini a year ago because it was easier to tuck into the back flap of my SFBags case for my rMBP. The Mini is my commuting (by train) and work iPad. The 9.7" is my home iPad. It works well for me, but if I had to choose one I'd probably get grumpy. I love the portability of the Mini but for watching movies or any other kind of media I think the Mini screen is just physically too small. Even some web sites can be a little challenging. If I really could only have one, I guess I'm about 50.25% inclined to say the Air 2.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Doesn't really count as a switch, but I supplemented my 9.7" with a Mini a year ago because it was easier to tuck into the back flap of my SFBags case for my rMBP. The Mini is my commuting (by train) and work iPad. The 9.7" is my home iPad. It works well for me, but if I had to choose one I'd probably get grumpy. I love the portability of the Mini but for watching movies or any other kind of media I think the Mini screen is just physically too small. Even some web sites can be a little challenging. If I really could only have one, I guess I'm about 50.25% inclined to say the Air 2.
That's the tricky thing about the air...it's nice with the big screen, but when it comes to things like carrying it around, bringing it out of the house, and comfortably thumb typing in landscape, the mini wins.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm not sure there's any single best answer here. :) Picking either involves making trade-offs. I lean toward the 9.7 but it's a close call.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I'm not sure there's any single best answer here. :) Picking either involves making trade-offs. I lean toward the 9.7 but it's a close call.
Yep. It's a matter of what matters most to the individual user. Right now I'm leaning towards having the extra portability of the mini 4.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I thought the lighter and slimmer Air 2 will be easier to hold compared to Air 1 but i was wrong..... loved the vivid screen but i couldnt use it for long periods. Even on the couch you have to lay it down.... also the edges feel sharp on touch. Back to the mini for me... the ideal form factor to use it as a "home iphone" with bigger screen :)

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I thought the lighter and slimmer Air 2 will be easier to hold compared to Air 1 but i was wrong..... loved the vivid screen but i couldnt handle it for long periods.....even on the couch you have to lay it down.... also theedges feel sharp on touch.... back to the mini for me... the ideal form factor to use it as a home iphone with bigger screen :)
I'm still considering the air 2, but I'm not sure if it is that big of an upgrade vs the air 1 I have now. I think the mini 4 would be the only upgrade worth getting, as it would give me the updated features of the air 2 along with the extra portability of the mini form factor.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Im curious to see if anyone has done this, and what their thoughts are on it. Has anyone switched from the full sized iPad to the mini? If so, what prompted your decision?
I did switch from the iPad 3 to an iPad mini 2 some time back. Mainly for the improved GPU, as I teach with my iPad in class and the A5x processor was showing its age as pdf images were taking ages to render.

The iPad mini is also smaller and lighter, making it easier to me to walk around the classroom with it in hand. I do sometimes miss the larger screen when it comes to reading, but overall, the pros outweighed the cons.

That said, I do find myself using my mini a lot less now that I have my iPhone 6S+, so I might upgrade back to a full sized iPad next year.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yep. It's a matter of what matters most to the individual user. Right now I'm leaning towards having the extra portability of the mini 4.

Do you watch a lot of movies/TV shows? Part of my daily exercise routine is 45 minutes on a stationary bike and I watch Amazon Prime vids while I'm doing that. The Mini screen is on the small side for that, but not impossible. The Mini feels so much more portable to me. In many ways, I really prefer the way it fits in my (large) hands.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I did switch from the iPad 3 to an iPad mini 2 some time back. Mainly for the improved GPU, as I teach with my iPad in class and the A5x processor was showing its age as pdf images were taking ages to render.

The iPad mini is also smaller and lighter, making it easier to me to walk around the classroom with it in hand. I do sometimes miss the larger screen when it comes to reading, but overall, the pros outweighed the cons.

That said, I do find myself using my mini a lot less now that I have my iPhone 6S+, so I might upgrade back to a full sized iPad next year.

Those two do seem like they'd be very close to overlapping.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I had an iPad 2, then switched to Mini 2, enjoyed that for a while until the Air 2, now I'm back to 9.7

I'm thinking of getting a Pro, just because of the 4 years of iPad ownership so fa I haven't used the iPad in any sort of mobile capacity, so the Mini isn't really appealing, and as I get older (ugh) I find the larger iPad more useful.

Edit: oh and I really enjoy watching march madness on the larger iPad, Pro can't come soon enough.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Do you watch a lot of movies/TV shows? Part of my daily exercise routine is 45 minutes on a stationary bike and I watch Amazon Prime vids while I'm doing that. The Mini screen is on the small side for that, but not impossible. The Mini feels so much more portable to me. In many ways, I really prefer the way it fits in my (large) hands.
YouTube yes, but not a ton. Biggest usage is as my textbooks for homeschool.

Tapper123

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
I currently have both a Mini 4 and Air 2.

After much deliberation I am probably returning the Mini 4.

My main reason is my poor eyesight close up. With the Mini I often need to use reading glasses, with the Air I don't. The other reason is I find it hard to justify owning both -- these are expensive items. Plus I got my Air 2 64gb super cheap about 6 months ago ($250 for 64gb, brand new), while I paid full price for the Mini 4.

I'm not saying the Mini 4 isn't amazing -- it is! The form factor is lovely, the screen quality is superb, and in some ways it's more ergonomic than the Air and certainly more portable. Which is why I'm sooo tempted to keep it regardless. But the reality is I don't really need it, and my eyes are much happier using the 9.7 inch screen (I really didn't think 2 inches would make a difference, but sadly I was wrong).

Plus, rumors about the Air 3 have begun, and it sounds amazing (a9 CPU, more RAM, 5mm thickness, possible 4K screen, possible waterproof etc.). I'm probably better off saving the money I spent for the Mini 4 toward that instead.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
YouTube yes, but not a ton. Biggest usage is as my textbooks for homeschool.

Hmmm. I have tried doing some e-reading on the Mini. I found the screen sort of small. YMMV and you're obviously a lot younger than I am (better eyes, I hope). The Mini screen is about the same size as a Kindle with no keyboard, but it's not as easy to read (the e-ink tech is truly awesome and very easy on the eyes).

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I currently have both a Mini 4 and Air 2.

After much deliberation I am probably returning the Mini 4.

My main reason is my poor eyesight close up. With the Mini I often need to use reading glasses, with the Air I don't. The other reason is I find it hard to justify owning both -- these are expensive items. Plus I got my Air 2 64gb super cheap about 6 months ago ($250 for 64gb, brand new), while I paid full price for the Mini 4.

I'm not saying the Mini 4 isn't amazing -- it is! The form factor is lovely, the screen quality is superb, and in some ways it's more ergonomic than the Air and certainly more portable. Which is why I'm sooo tempted to keep it regardless. But the reality is I don't really need it, and my eyes are much happier using the 9.7 inch screen (I really didn't think 2 inches would make a difference, but sadly I was wrong).

Plus, rumors about the Air 3 have begun, and it sounds amazing (a9 CPU, more RAM, 5mm thickness, possible 4K screen, possible waterproof etc.). I'm probably better off saving the money I spent for the Mini 4 toward that instead.

I've seen those rumors - not so sure whether they sound realistic. A higher-res screen is going to cost $$$ and battery runtime...but that's all OT. ;)

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I've seen those rumors - not so sure whether they sound realistic. A higher-res screen is going to cost $$$ and battery runtime...but that's all OT. ;)
5mm sounds a little far fetched: the iPhone 7 is supposed to be like 5.9mm, I don't see how the air 3 would be just 5mm. Who knows tho, Apple always finds a way to make it thinner ;)

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I owned an Air 2 until 3 months ago when I sold it and got a Surface 3. Big mistake, returned Surface 3. Decided to buy the Mini 4 yesterday and used it for a handful of hours so far. I absolutely love it but am on the fence. My eyesight is 20/20 and I still sometimes find the text a bit uncomfortable (small) when browsing internet. Not all sites are bad though. I didn't ever have to do the double tap to zoom on my Air, text was just right. I only use the iPad for video streaming, email, and browsing. I have no issue with the smaller screen and watching video, it's fine. The Mini is the perfect size for putting on a treadmill or elliptical while doing cardio. The Air was tough and sometimes was too big to balance against the screen of whatever machine I was using at the gym. So I will get a ton more use out of the Mini for working out which is great. Also the Mini is much easier to hold and just feels more effortless to use than the Air did. Other than the text issue, I have no complaints at all about the Mini. I have 45 days before return period ends through Best Buy, so I will have some time with it. By that point maybe I could score an Air 2 in some black Friday sale if the Mini doesn't work out.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I owned an Air 2 until 3 months ago when I sold it and got a Surface 3. Big mistake, returned Surface 3. Decided to buy the Mini 4 yesterday and used it for a handful of hours so far. I absolutely love it but am on the fence. My eyesight is 20/20 and I still sometimes find the text a bit uncomfortable (small) when browsing internet. Not all sites are bad though. I didn't ever have to do the double tap to zoom on my Air, text was just right. I only use the iPad for video streaming, email, and browsing. I have no issue with the smaller screen and watching video, it's fine. The Mini is the perfect size for putting on a treadmill or elliptical while doing cardio. The Air was tough and sometimes was too big to balance against the screen of whatever machine I was using at the gym. So I will get a ton more use out of the Mini for working out which is great. Also the Mini is much easier to hold and just feels more effortless to use than the Air did. Other than the text issue, I have no complaints at all about the Mini. I have 45 days before return period ends through Best Buy, so I will have some time with it. By that point maybe I could score an Air 2 in some black Friday sale if the Mini doesn't work out.
I have a feeling I'll be in the same position no matter what one I get. If I get the mini, I might be thinking "wait, maybe the air 2 would be better" and if I get the air 2 I might be thinking "I should have gotten the mini 4 for portability".... Tough decision!!!

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I just switched Air 2 to Mini 4.

I adore my newest iPad - it's my GPS in the car, my computer on the fly, my newspaper in the morning, and my boarding pass at the airport. The camera sucks but I got an iPhone 6S for that. I literally cannot say enough good things about the iPMini4.

I do plan on getting an iPad Pro for the house though - I can't wait to have an electronic newspaper that rivals the size of an actual newspaper.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I just switched Air 2 to Mini 4.

I adore my newest iPad - it's my GPS in the car, my computer on the fly, my newspaper in the morning, and my boarding pass at the airport. The camera sucks but I got an iPhone 6S for that. I literally cannot say enough good things about the iPMini4.

I do plan on getting an iPad Pro for the house though - I can't wait to have an electronic newspaper that rivals the size of an actual newspaper.
It seems like when switching from full size to mini, it becomes way more portable, is that what you have found? It seems like not a huge size difference between the two, but from what I've heard it seems like the mini is generally much more portable. I find myself not bringing my Air as many places as I did my old mini 1; but also, I have the larger iPhone 6 now so that could have something to do with it...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
More portable, but also easier to hold. I don't want to sound like a wimp, but the 9.7" iPad is more or less a two-handed item.

Celebion

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
I switched from the iPad 2 to the iPad Mini 4 last Friday. I don't regret it. I've been on the fence because the iPad Air 2 costs the same though.

I mainly use he iPad for browsing in safari, reading newspapers and stuff like this. Many newspapers just had too large fonts on the 9,7" screen. I prefer smaller text and smaller layout. Coming from the kindle reader, I find it more comfortable to hold a smaller device. The Apple News app is absolutely fabulous with the iPad mini 4!

If a text is too small in safari, I just use landscape mode. However, I have good eyesight. So I I turn the text settings to the smallest size.

The portability is also great. I got the cellular version and am using it more than my iPhone now.

More portable, but also easier to hold. I don't want to sound like a wimp, but the 9.7" iPad is more or less a two-handed item.

It is! The Mini is much more comfortable to hold for extended periods.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Agreed. You can hold it in one hand by gripping the side bezel for like a few seconds comfortably, but ultimately it's just not that great for 1 handed use unlike the mini.

Windowsrefugee

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Microsoft Land
Agreed. You can hold it in one hand by gripping the side bezel for like a few seconds comfortably, but ultimately it's just not that great for 1 handed use unlike the mini.
Completely agree! Had an iPad 2 and just did not like the weight so switched to a Mini1 and have not looked back since. Have tried my wife's Air and the Air2 in the store, but for me, both are still too heavy and awkward to hold for prolonged periods, particularly with 1 hand. I also like being able to tuck it into my coat pocket when going to meetings-- if I am taking notes, I usually use the Mini and just leave my MBA at home. I just got a Mini4 and really love it. It is a real upgrade over the original mini! I do email, read and use Safari on my mini, but admit I do not watch many long videos on it.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I'd consider it if I didn't use a different device for reading e-books. I find 9.7" too large for e-books (too big of a backlit area, even when it's grey text on black background), and the Mini would win here. But for everything else, I enjoy the Air 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.