Anyone switching to sprint for the iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tianh, Oct 7, 2011.

1. tianh macrumors regular

Anyone switching to Sprint for the iPhone 4S? It seems that the sprint plan is cheaper and gets more minutes and unlimited data than ATT. Is the Sprint iPhone gimped in anyway?

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Yeah, I purchased a Sprint 4S. I'm keeping my AT&T account active until everything goes smoothly, but I get terrible signal on AT&T and need to find a better option. Unlimited data doesn't hurt, either :)

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If I wanted the WORSE customer service, poorest coverage and an entire selection of the UGLIEST PHONES in existence (exception is NOW the iPhone), I would STILL be with sprint...lol :eek:

4. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

well sprint has the blackberry bold 9900 and galaxy s2 which are the top tier phones that att has too. And even then, att doesnt evne have the new blackberry bolds yet.. But that is a good point on the customer service. Is it that bad?

5. tacload macrumors member

HEY!!!! That's not fair... there might be some small little cell carrier somewhere that has worse customer service... maybe. ;)

I'm giving them one more contract cycle to see if they can get their act together with LTE. After that, I'm bailing. 11+ years is enough.

----------

It used to be REALLLLLLY bad. Then it got a bit better. Now it seems to be going downhill again.

6. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

ouch. that sucks. I guess I will be sticking with ATT unless someone else can convince me otherwise

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear ya' but I'm speaking from a horrible experience with Sprint after I'd been with them for almost (10) years. They kept double-billing me and it would take them three months to credit my account, and they would shut my (5) phones down b/c the bill was not paid in full while I'm waiting for them to make the promised adjustments. Then they said they'd credit my bill, but the only thing they did was make it look like a new account or adding features that I never ordered to extend my contract with them; and that's the only reason I stayed with them so long. I eventually went to AT&T and was billed $175 per line that wasn't out of contract for a total of $525. I gladly paid it and went running to AT&T for the Motorola Razor...:eek:

Went to Hawaii/Kauai for (3) weeks of vacation and Sprint charged me $3,000 for roaming!!! I said "you never mentioned about roaming! I thought you guys said you had coverage in Hawaii when I called you!"

8. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Sprint is unlimited. But they're also the slowest. All you can eat buffet, none of your favorite foods are there.

9. kalex macrumors 65816

i get good speeds on my ns4g in NYC area. Oh wait its on 4G :cool:

10. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

We have 5 lines on AT&T, and all but mine have capped data. We switched to Sprint to get the 4S so everyone can have unlimited and to save $80 per month. But we're only keeping it if it has good coverage, so my fingers are crossed. :)

11. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

yeah the money savings is really enticing, especially since I will be getting more minutes too. Its very tempting... it just sucks about the sprint coverage and customer service

12. sddabrow macrumors 6502

I have been on sprint for years, but am always upset by their 3G speeds. Only hesitation on ordering the iPhone4S.

My Evo on 3G would usually have between 100kb-200kb at best. 4G on the other hand, was amazing - but was only in very few areas and wasn't worth even turning it on.

My last attempt is to test this iPhone to see how it functions on Sprint's network. If it is the same as I saw with Android and they do not improve on LTE next year, I will be switching to another carrier.

13. tacload macrumors member

More like all you can eat buffet, but you have to suck it through a straw.

14. aneftp macrumors 601

Sprint is not that cheap anymore.

I was with them 1997-2004. Half the time was in Kansas city 1 miles from their world headquarters so they had bullet proof coverage in there.

But as the years have gone by slowly my friends have also left sprint.

Unless you have one of those crazy retention plans or sero plans they aren't cheap anymore.

$10 premium for smartphone data. Getting rid of premiere program. $350 ETF.

Their prices are slower becoming more like Verizon and ATT. Sprint will have a hard time getting customers from ATT or Verizon because I don't see bug savings. Especially if you are on family plan and want to keep dumb phones at the $10 add on. You don't have the option of having no data with sprint family plans with dumb phones. You have that option with ATT and Verizon.

15. hushmartin macrumors 6502

If I didn't have unlimited, I would try Sprint for a bit. However, they'd really have to impress me to get me to stay with them. I still have nightmares about the last time I had Sprint and ended up having screaming matches with CS every month, because they kept overcharging us or not charging our whole bill to autopay and then shutting off service at the drop of a hat.

16. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Sprint isnt too bad. The 3G speeds will only be like 1Mbps though.

17. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

I had to call Sprint because my account is on Military hold. Great customer service. They let me remove the hold, order the 4S and put the hold back on.
    No $36 activation fee and very helpful. Not always top notch for everybody but seemed great for me!

18. p0rkch0p macrumors member

Man the sprint horror stories are convincing me to stay with att. I have zero patience for that bs. Never had a problem with att

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

If more people did the work to identify which carrier has the best coverage in your area they wouldn't bash any of the carriers they do. It's the buyers responsibility to understand how cell phones work. A large contingent have no clue. They're so focused on the phone they want they throw caution to the wind.

Then when the results disappoint them they look for someone to blame. That's usually the carrier unless the phone is Android, then Apple Lovers blame the phone. A technique learned from victims. Forget the truth and used the tried & true Apple technique "You're Holding It Wrong Stupid". Or " Look Ma, They All Do That".

With that kind of spin, Apple is never wrong.

20. FmaxTurboSi macrumors regular

I switched because att wouldn't let me upgrade (I've been with them for about 11 years now). I just added a line to my mom's sprint account and it's going to cost me $30 month. It's funny because att lost a pretty profitable customer. I hardly ever talk on the phone so I was paying $83 a month just to text, email and web. I hardly used any data either because when I'm at home or at school, I'm using wifi.

Haven't transferred my number yet. Sprint has a 14 day money back guarantee.

21. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

more opinions! I am still thinking about it.

Current I am paying 240 a month for ATT, with sprint, it would be down to.. 180.. and thats with more minutes.

22. jeffsaha macrumors member

I went to Sprint for the Pre a while back. Then got the EVO 4g (still have it until the 4s comes in). In LA the service is pretty good. You can jump on VZW towers if you don't have reception. Or hack your phone and force it to jump to get better reception.

The 3G speeds have been pretty slow lately and the 4G speeds have been slowly decreasing as more people jump on the network. I am running some speed tests now on the 3G and am getting ~80kbps downs and ~500kbps ups (multiple attempts using speedtest.net app). With full bars on 4G wimax I'm getting 4.2mbps downs and 1.4mbps up (used to get around 10-12mpbs downs when the EVO was the only wimax device available). This is also LA where every damn cell tower is completely saturated.

I don't deal with customer service much at all so I can't really say much there. I do know they wouldn't give an early upgrade or offer any type of retention to keep me from jumping ship to AT&T, which I am doing once the phone ships. But it's a good provider with good cell coverage (better than AT&T for sure in LA), they just couldn't do anything to keep me there. I have been jumping ship the past few years so it's not a major deal for me to do that.

23. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I was seriously considering changing over to Sprint but my bill would have gone up. The AT&T service in some parts of Atlanta is very bad but in the end AT&T is the lesser of the three evils.

24. andyx3x macrumors 65816