Carrier Anyone Tempted by Sprint 1/2 Price Plan Offer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KPOM, Dec 4, 2014.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

Any AT&T or Verizon UDP (or Mobile Share plan) holders tempted by the Sprint half price offer? Right now Sprint offers UDPs for $60 ($50 if you buy an iPhone), but a lot of us AT&T UDP holders have plans at $70 or $75 if we have the NW 450 with PAYG text or the legacy $5 text plan. At $35 or $37.50 (not including the existing FAN discounts Sprint says they'll honor), it could make it worthwhile over 2 years or so, even if we do need to turn in current-enough phones (i.e. worth $200) and buy new phones for $650.

At the very least, perhaps it could give us some leverage with Retentions. Any thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, because I hate sprint and their coverage is vastly inferior to ATT

3. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Nope. I'd have to buy a new phone in order to switch to Sprint. Plus, if I purchase a Sprint-configured iPhone and find that I don't like Sprint, I would not be able to carry the device over to a different network because they will not unlock the phones for use with any other domestic carrier.

4. ECUSnare macrumors regular

Nope, I've had Sprint before and it sucked (I live in Charlotte, btw).

I think this is one of those times where the saying "you get what you pay for" comes into play.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

All I can say is check your coverage.

You may be likely to also get half the data and half the speed (if that) with the plan as well.

6. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

Chicago is a Sprint Spark city. However, I don't know anyone with a Spark-compatible device, and so I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

7. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Knowing Sprint, it may have Spark, but it's not performing at 100%. Their coverage is very iffy and can't be trusted. With this offer, it makes it hard trying the network out and screwing yourself over in the end if you trade in your equipment and port your number over. I would definitely recommend holding off on transferring your number and trading in your equipment if you can before committing. Half the cost can defintely mean you get what you pay for and can be disappointing. You have 14 days from the date of activation to try out the network, if it sucks, cancel ahead of time instead of waiting until the last day.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It might not be such a good deal, depending on your situation:

http://www.wirelessweek.com/blogs/2014/12/sprint-counts-ignorance-new-half-price-plans

TL;DR: In order to fund this promotion profitably, Sprint is relying on getting resale value off the phones you trade in to get this plan. You DO NOT get trade-in credit for any phones you trade in. That's a particularly raw deal if you're on AT&T Next or Verizon Edge, and haven't paid your phone off. Though if you're on a contract, it might work out for you since Sprint will pay up to $350 of your ETF.

In any case, before I'd even think about jumping ship, Sprint would really have to drastically improve their LTE coverage... which doesn't seem very likely considering their CFO recently claimed their network improvements were "substantially complete."

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

10. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

I'd pass on it for sure. Sprint's definition of LTE coverage is having a small presence of LTE capable towers in the city. If you like driving around hoping to find an LTE spot then this is the carrier for you. Their 3G speeds are a joke.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, not tempted at all.
    Maybe if it was free.
    You get what you pay in the end.

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

LOL!!!

If that were true I should have 1tbps download speeds by now! :D

Instead I'm getting the freebie speeds. :)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D
    That sucks man.
    But hey, if you wait another 3-4 years their speeds may improve:D

14. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

No because I know they would screw me in the long run. Questionable/Unknown cellular service (I won't say terrible anymore), refusal to fully unlock phones, etc.

Oh and just to be a d*** I'm going to say this: OMG Guys Network Vision is going to completely own Verizon and AT&T! Its happening! I promise! Just 1.5more years! XD XD :D

15. jksu macrumors regular

you get what you pay for.... after 5 years on sprint, so happy to be on verizon

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

NO

- You have to buy new phones that are Sprint only and cannot be unlocked and are incompatible with every other carrier. These phones also have lower resale value than the same phone on competing networks.
    - The coverage/data speeds are easily the worst of the Big 4
    - You get lower priority than regular Sprint customers on an already poor network
    - The "half off" discount only applies to service part of the bill and not to the phone you're forced to lease when you come over. This makes it more like a 20% discount rather than 50%. Pretty deceptive marketing.
    - No significant coverage improvement in sight for Sprint. Always over promising and never delivering. Is Network Vision complete yet? No thanks.

Even the guys at S4GRU are having a hard time defending this new promotion. It's like Sprint is trying to create the most complex and confusing cellular plans on the market. Keep it simple.

17. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Even worse, Sprint has the balls to charge him a $10 premium data fee for his plan. :eek:

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Now that's a premium rip off:D

19. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

No way.
    I wouldn't use Sprint even if they paid me to.

20. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I was in Chicago with a Sprint phone before they initiated Spark, and I was very surprised at how frequently I had excellent LTE. I would guess that Spark has only made it better.

However, Chicago was the only place I went to with Sprint in many years that had such consistently excellent coverage. I learned my lesson with them long ago, do not use Sprint.

21. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

VOICE is excellent. DATA, that's another story.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm tempted to call Att retentions again and see what they offer me as a match to Skype sprint plan :eek:

23. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah…about that fee! :)

Originally, a 4G fee for phones that were using WiMax 4G. Sprint retracted their original statement within moments of calling it that fee, something the CSRs vehemently refuse to engage with you in conversation about. Revisionist history and all that.

I've never objected to the fee, but I have always been critical of Sprint's denial that they ever labeled it a 4G fee and how they implemented it. And the fact that Sprint made money off it. Clearwire was only charging Sprint $5 for access to WiMax (whether you used it or not), Sprint doubled that fee on it's customers to $10.

It was only for the HTC EVO 4G the first year, then Sprint decided to apply it to a certain list of smartphones. I avoided the fee until 2012 when we got iPhones, but I always thought it interesting that Sprint could call my HTC Touch Pro a business class smartphone, but exempt me from this fee. Maybe the Touch Pro was smart enough to be a smartphone but not smart enough to get the fee applied to it?

Never gotten a straight answer from Sprint on that one either.

Now, finally, Sprint has done what they should have done from the beginning. All they had to do was raise the price of plans $10 and people would have whined and that would have been the end of it. Instead, they made it a separate fee and everyone continuously complains about it (if you have it). Once they came out with Framily and the My Way and All In plans they included the fee in the price of the plan and don't list it separately now (but it's still there).

It's just people like me on the old plans paying the fee separately now.

----------

LOL!

I dodged the fee for four years. Advantages to using old phones past their two year contract term. :D

----------

Chicago was the first market Sprint upgraded and they used it as a testing market to determine how they were going to do the rest of the Network Vision upgrade.

It's now Sprint's oldest and most mature (what a joke) upgraded market so it should be performing better than the rest at least. You would not have wanted to be there during the upgrade though. The old pre-NV equipment was Samsung and it did not hand off calls to the new equipment. So if you were moving your call could be cut off if you went from a non-upgraded tower to an upgraded tower.

Sprint had serious issues during the rollout there and lost a lot of customers over it.

----------

Can't argue with you there. Voice has always been good, even in the midst of the rollout.

24. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

25. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

That said, today it's a pretty good network in Chicago, in terms of data speeds, coverage, and voice quality. I submitted my AT&T bill online and they offered me unlimited everything for $26.50 pre-tax based on what I'm paying for my grandfathered AT&T plan (Nation 450 with 200 messages and unlimited data). I submitted a request to AT&T Customer Care to see if they'll boost my minutes and text allowance.

Me reasoning is that if I were to switch to Sprint, it would essentially be a wash, except that Sprint is offering me unlimited minutes and texts. Here's why:
    • Sprint's plan offer is $26.50 pre-tax. An iPhone 6 would be $27.09 for 24 months. So the total pre-tax is $53.59.
    • I currently pay AT&T $53.74 pre-tax.
    • Sprint requires turning in a phone or paying $200. If I used my upgrade on AT&T to get an iPhone 6, I'd pay $199 plus tax.
    • Sprint's network is as good as AT&T's in Chicago.

I'll see what they say.