Anyone think apple could keep 2 iPhone OS's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Feb 8, 2010.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

For example say if the new iPhone has multitasking and flash and all this other stuff maybe they will make an os that looks completely diff than what's out right now and for the 3G users and 2G they can just keel same os and get minor bug fixes and added preferences. I know that 3GS has diff features but it is still basically same OS. I'm talking a completely diff one.

2. RichL macrumors 6502

Err, kinda confused about what you're trying to say. If you are asking if Apple will continue to make drastic changes to a 1st Gen or 3G iPhone...I am doubtful.

3. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I think he's saying that the next iPhone has its own brand new OS, while the old ones keep the current one

Apple could do it, but they wouldn't

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Umm... nobody is forcing you to upgrade your OS. Look at me, I'm still running 2.2.1 because it runs super smooth on my iPhone 3G. So if you wanted to stay on 3.1 forever, you technically could. You don't have to push that upgrade button.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes they can; however, people will still moan and rage over nothing. Like the poster above me... perfect example of such.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would not be surprised if they don't release 4.0 for the 2G. I would be surprised if 4.0 weren't available for the 3G, however, since they will presumably be selling it until the 4G launches. In a way it's a shame, though; I suspect that the need to keep 4.0 3G-friendly will mean less significant improvements for the 3GS and 4G.

7. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Idk why some of u assume I'm complainif about upgrading. I have the newest update. I'm just talking about them making a seperate new one. I will always update to newest firmwares. Mainly cause I wanna use some new features. I jus hope that 4.0 is revultionary.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I think you are likely to be disappointed, for the reasons I gave above.

9. alcaholic macrumors newbie

alcaholic

dont listen to him. negative person. Anyways, they potenitally could, but won't. Not everyone is like spaz, and most people like to have the current os. It would just piss people off.

10. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Still notfollowing u. I'm planning on getting the 4G I have the 3G now. I was just asking.

11. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

2g users will be the only people that will not be available to update to 4.0..
    3g users will be able to update to 4.0.. y? because Apple is still selling the device. Now like they did with the 2g owners. Some features will be left out..
    3gs users will be able to do everything that the 4g can do. Unless it has some special hardware that is needed that it doesnt have. For example if the new iphone has a front facing camera. Then 3gs users obviously will not be able to use that feature...

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Agreed. I can't see Apple supporting the 1st Gen iPhone any longer seeing as it's already a very big OS. Only if Apple goes all Snow Leo (make the OS lighter) on the iPhone OS can I see the 1st Gen iPhone still get the upgrade.

Attached Files:

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This is what I'm worried about. There comes a point when old hardware just has to say goodbye. Look at Macs. Snow Leopard isn't going to work on a non-intel computer (See here). Just like that MMS doesn't work on the iPhone, I think that they should focus on the iPhone 3GS and whatever else comes out and begin to phase out the iPhone and iPhone 3G.

See my reasoning above. Even if people always want the most up-to-date technology they can't always have it. If technology waited until the last person could upgrade then it would go no where.

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If they make the update available for the iPhone 3G then there is NO reason why it won't be available for the original iPhone too. They're almost identical hardware specs. Same slow processor, same RAM limitation… the only difference is 3G radio and GPS. If the firmware works on the 3G, it takes almost no effort to make it work on the original.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

They can't make the 4G's software revolutionary because it will have to be able to run on the 3G. Anything revolutionary, including multitasking, just won't be feasible on the 3G because of its slow processor and limited RAM. The determining factor in how revolutionary 4.0 will be is the limitations of the 3GS, not the capabilities of the 4G.

I do not disagree with you from a technical standpoint, but I do not base my belief on technical limitations in the 2G that are not present in the 3G. There was absolutely no reason from a hardware standpoint for the 2G not to support MMS, but Apple decided not to allow it, presumably as part of an obsolescence plan. I see no reason why they wouldn't want to do the same thing with a new operating system. They don't want to continue to provide OS upgrades for phones that are out of contract and no longer earning them revenues.