Carrier Anyone trade their phone into Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Antr7, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Antr7 macrumors newbie

Anyone have any experience trading their phone into Verizon? They are offering $300 for an iPhone 5s 32gb but says upon inspection final value may change. I know I can walk into Apple and they will give me a credit of $165 and not have to worry about the value Verizon will give it but the extra money is tempting.

2. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Why don't you take it into a Verizon store and see how much you'll get for it?

3. Elastic Love macrumors member

VZ offered $300 with the bonus text. I'm sending mine in tomorrow.

4. hak187 macrumors member

VZW offered me $300 as well. I mailed in my phone yesterday. Last year I sold my 5 to them, and the previous year I sold my 4S to them. Both times they gave me what they said they would.

5. Elastic Love macrumors member

Does it take awhile for the credit to post? I'm mailing mine tmrrw.

6. MacBreezy macrumors regular

7. ShagBD macrumors newbie

8. Antr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was about to finish setting up my phone to send to Verizon and when I clicked the promotional details this popped up? Do you think the value will be a $100 less now because I didn't buy the Droid. I wonder if everyone's code said this

Attached Files:

9. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502

Knockoutjosie

I walked in the store and got 300 for my 5s 16 gig. Was also able to use it on my iPhone 6s which lowered my phone down to 450. I'm happy.

10. Antr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wonder if they will take a trade if I'm not buying anything in the store

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Probably a debit card that you can use towards purchases or towards your bill. Start up a char with an online rep; they're less pushy and more knowledgeable in my experience than in-store reps.

12. rhino89 macrumors regular

I stopped at this step over the weekend, and called Verizon to chew them out over this fine print about some BS droid. They apologized, said that this should not be coming up, that it's not a requirement, and handled my trade in via phone - I'm getting my box for the trade in mailed to me by end of the week, already got the tracking info.

13. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I was going to mail mine in but heard some horror stories about the third party that processes the trade-ins (probably fine though), so I walked into my local store with the promo code they sent me via email for my old 5 and they gave me the 200. It's a gift card and it came via email as I was walking out of the store. Will use it to pay my bill online for a couple of months.

14. TyS97 macrumors newbie

Yesterday I received a promo code via text message regarding trading in my 5s. I went in tonight and they gave me $300 for it. I bought a Zagg tempered glass screen protector and then applied the rest towards my bill.

15. sik08amg macrumors regular

sik08amg

I got 200 for my 5, which is the max payout for that device. It was a white model with a black screen, the back was warn pretty bad, and had a replaced battery, none of which were performed by Apple. I gladly accepted the 200 bucks which will pay for the next couple bills. :)

16. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502

Knockoutjosie

So anyone reading this in the future yes it will work. Verizon takes your phone in person and will give you a 300 dollar gift card. 100 for the 4s, 200 for the 5-5c, 300 for the 5s and 400 for the 6/+

Attached Files:

17. Dextux macrumors member

Just traded in my iPhone 4 for 100 bucks. Blows my mind what they are going to do with that.

18. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I was told 300 but when I entered code it only said 78. I'm on the road so can't get to sales person but doing nothing until straighten out. Want 300 not 78

19. Antr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to my local Verizon store and they told me I had to do it online. The interesting part with doing it online is that if they seem to find a small scratch or ding when inspecting it it looks like the value could drop to $78. I don't think I am going to take my chances

20. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Had this same "requirement" and talked to a rep via chat who said there are 2 different promotions. One does require a droid purchase, the other does not. So now I'm wary to send in my phone and get a surprise that because I didn't purchase a stupid droid I only get $40 or something ridiculous. Has anyone actually completed the offer online (with this promo that says you need to buy a droid) and received their gift card for the amount promised?

21. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I would try another store or the same store on another day. I went into my local store with no issues. And in fact two reps I talked to over the phone said I SHOULD do this in-store rather than online, while another said either way will be honored. Did the same thing last year. Got my promo code via email and walked into store, showed them the promo code and got my $200 immediately after.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I talked online and they said it's merely an estimate bc the condition is estimated and to go to a store for confirmation.

Can you confirm that you were at an actual VZW corporate store and not and authorized 3rd party retailer?

23. ekinnyc macrumors member

can that $300 be used toward the immediate purchase of the phone i am upgrading to? if i get the 6S 64gb, at 32 or whatever a month, how do i take advantage of the $300? am i better off buying the phone at full price then?

24. Antr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I went to a Verizon corporate store. Maybe I should try another one or go earlier in the day. I think the guy just didn't want to be bothered because he wasn't getting a phone sale out of it

25. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it can be used toward purchase. But I'm not sure how that would work with installments.