Anyone trading up from a Pebble?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by frumpy16, Apr 16, 2015.

1. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

I've had a pebble for about a year and a half now. It's made me appreciate the utility of a smart watch but is lacking in several key areas that the Apple Watch will improve (two way communication, phone call capability, color screen, touch screen).

Anyone else trading up from a Pebble? What are you most excited about?

My dilemma is that since I have a black on black pebble now I'd rather change it up with the apple watch. I have a 42mm white sport (launch day window) and a space grey sport on the way (mid May window). I think I like the space grey but it's so similar to what I've had part of me feels like something different looking would be more fun.

2. cloudspy macrumors member

Anyone trading up from a Pebble?

I have a pebble Kickstarter Edition and I preordered the 42mm SS with milanese loop. I am looking forward for the deep IOS integration and app support.

3. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Yes, many of us here are upgrading from Pebble. I want to thank Pebble for helping me KNOW I will love the Apple Watch. I am actually going to let my friends borrow the pebble to see if they like getting notifications.

It is going to be great having a nice looking watch again instead of a plastic toy looking one. Getting 42mm SS with Classic Buckle, plus green sports band, and if I like it I will get a SS Link after trying one on in May.

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've had a Pebble for about a year and a half as well, and it's worked out very well for me.

I pre-ordered the 42 Space Gray Sport and I'm looking forward to all of the increased features. After using a "smart watch" for so long, I don't think I can ever go back. It's been useful beyond belief.

5. Aces2412 macrumors regular

Ditto! Except I will be getting the 42 mm sport aluminum space grey like 900k others.

6. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Yup. Totally love my pebble. After 18 months I couldn't do without it, but looking forward to being to interact with my phone more instead of just reading notifications

7. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

Used to have Pebble Steel. Hated it. Sold it a few months ago. Can't wait for something that is actually well designed and not as nerdy looking.

8. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

Absolutely. The beauty of being able to see which notifications were important was the whole point of the Pebble.

But now, being able to actually do something about them? Fantastic. That, and so much more.

Ordered 42 SS w/Sport

9. frumpy16 thread starter macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Amen. I used to have an android which had deeper integration with the pebble than the iPhone does. It pisses me off sometimes to not have that any more. #problemsolved

10. segrobja macrumors regular

I have both the Kickstarter Pebble as well as the Pebble Steel, alternate between the two of them. While I have enjoyed the Pebble watches for the last few years I am more than ready for the Apple Watch. Pebble is great for screening calls, messages, emails and alerts but the Apple Watch will allow me to act on these items without needing to reach for my phone, at least more so than the Pebble. I don't care about the color screen or the apps, those arent issues for me. I'm also looking forward to the better integration. The Pebble software is just okay, leaves a lot to be desired. Hoping the Apple Watch will fill those gaps.

11. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I'm trading up from the Michael Bastian Chrownowing watch.

12. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

I remember when I got my Pebble...
    I was super excited at first and within a day, I noticed that it just didn't work that well. Pairing and notifications were hit and miss. The notifications that it gave me were often useless (i.e. game reminders and stuff that I don't want on my watch). The caller id function is super annoying once you're actually on a call since it makes it hard to check the time...

But I still loved it. And I still do.
    I can't imagine not having notifications on my wrist and until next Friday, this is the way I have to get them.

Gonna miss the battery, though. Although, mine hasn't been lasting nearly as long lately anyway.

13. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

The two things i look forward to are actionable notifications and actually being able to use my bluetooth headphones at the same time that i use my smartwatch.

I love my pebble but at least 5-6 times a week i turn it off while i'm listening to music/books/podcasts because my bluetooth headphones keep dropping, as soon as i turn the pebble off the headphones work fine.

It's a real pain in the ass.

14. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I have had a Pebble since first KS edition and have a Steel now. I have gotten used to looking down when I get a call or text or Email to screen it.

One of the best features is how it buzzes if I am out of range of my phones. This makes sure I don't forget it or leave without it. I wonder if the Apple Watch will have this?

15. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Sold my Pebble Steel last week, preordered on the 14th with June shipping and not looking back

16. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

I purchased the Pebble steel a year ago in anticipation of the Apple watch. I wear it everyday and its become essential to my everyday life.

A lot of people have said they are not buying an Apple watch as it adds nothing new and why not just reach for your phone? I can now say from first hands experience this isn't always the case.

For instance I no longer have to worry about buying headphones with remote functionality as i can access that function from my watch. My phone is always on silent all the time now as i get tactic feedback from the watch when it rings or someone texts.

The main thing I'll miss from my pebble is the 8-10 days of battery life. People say charge it every night like your phone but that expectation has kind of been set by phone standards today, not so much watches.

17. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

Yup, upgrading here from a Pebble kickstarter edition. Looking forward to my new apple watch very excitedly. :)

18. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

I bought a Pebble at the end of last year, when they dropped the price to $99. At the time, I thought the Apple Watch was ridiculous, and that all I wanted out of a smart watch was something cheap (since it’s going to get smacked around), had a long battery life, and was easy to see, i.e., always on, daylight readable display. Even at $99, I thought it was a little too expensive.

Well, after owning it for a few months, all it’s succeeded in doing is 100% convince me I want an Apple Watch. I still love my Pebble, and will probably still wear it sometimes, but between its limited features, and poor iOS integration, it can’t begin to compete with the Apple Watch. Just the fact that I won’t have to open an app, or toggle Bluetooth on and off at least once a day to get it working again will be so much nicer.

All that being said, I will miss its functionality as a pure watch, rather than a smartwatch. Oh well, the 24th (to the 8th...) can’t come soon enough! :D

19. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

20. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I have the original and steel pebble. I enjoy them both, but I feel they are just read-only devices. They work well for seeing who's calling or texting me but that's about it. They're both pretty unattractive so I usually just wear them for casual situations.

I'm looking forward to the Apple watch. It's much more fashionable and enables me to interact notifications instead of just reading them. I'll probably keep one of my pebbles as a "beater watch" for showering, swimming, or higher risk activities.

21. mitchsaunders macrumors 6502

I've got the original Pebble kickstarter. Craps itself sometimes out of the blue, and just freezes.
    Upgraded to the 42mm Space Grey Sport.
    Preordered 5:03PM AEST. Australia. 24/4 - 8/5 delivery time, now waiting anxiously for that shipment email.

22. JerryCooke macrumors regular

JerryCooke

I bought my Pebble when the :apple:Watch was announced because I knew I'd want to get used to wearing a watch again and see what integration was like, even if it was very limited.

I'm very much looking forward to not seeing these things ever again:
    1. 'Pebble Technologies #### would like to connect'
    2. Notifications left on the watch screen after I've cleared them on phone, what good is one way notification clearing, just means you have to deal with it twice.

23. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

I preordered the 42mm SS with milanese loop. I am looking forward to the deep IOS integration and app support.

I have an orange Pebble and the Pebble Steel. The orange one my dad said it looks like it came out of a Christmas cracker. Although I've had compliments on the Steel.

24. MEGAB4K3R macrumors regular

MEGAB4K3R

Yeah, I've been waiting for this thread, lol. I've got a pebble steel, I love it, but I just dislike the finickyness of the connection, or willingness of the music player, and random apps to work, with out the app being open and closed, and/or Bluetooth off and back on. So, basically, the core integration. But also I just had to place my original leather ban to rest with the $35 link band, which is almost too flashy and heavy for me. oh, and IMO the pebble time looks like a plastic toy, and the steel time isn't much better. had to go for the black sport for that paper light feel.

25. aussiemom macrumors member

aussiemom

I love my Pebble, and I ordered the new Pebble Time too! It was only $169 (Kickstarter earlybird!) so that'll be my smart watch when I'm doing things where it might get bumped around or too wet, and when I don't want to get mugged for wearing an Apple Watch. hahaha!

I expect I'll use the Apple Watch a lot more though!