Anyone tried Acupuncture ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by liketom, Jun 3, 2008.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

I'm off on thursday to have some Acupuncture done on me for some muscle pain in my lower back.

i'm new to this and i thought i'd give it a go - anybody had Acupuncture done? good bad .. ugly ?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

Dog? what was up with your dog

4. iDagreed macrumors newbie

this country, what were you expecting, the moon?
    Pain

yeah, i've tried it, and loved it, it really eases off some pains and helps you relax. i recommend for all users out here to try it. i personally think it's even better than some massages.

hope i helped you build up courage or something, i used to be really scared of it.

5. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

was the relief instant ? or build up over sessions.

i am a bit chicken cos of all the needles and stuff but i'm going to put a brave face on

6. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Ewww..... Just the thought of needles makes me shiver. I would never do it......:eek:

I believe my dad had it done. It worked for him. I hope you have a good experience with it!

7. iDagreed macrumors newbie

this country, what were you expecting, the moon?
    instant

it was a fast relief, and you don't get to see the needles unless they're like on your stomach. (mostly on back and neck)

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

My wife used acupuncture all through both pregnancies. It helped her a lot. You just need to make sure that the person doing it really know what they are doing!

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I had it done when I was younger - and it worked well.

My family has always been very alternative-health only kind of thing (within the reach of common sense, of course). My Aunt has had great success with it. I'd put much sock in it's benefits. You have to go for several treatments in some cases, however, because works by rechanneling the energy in your body (Chinese: Qi), and it takes several sessions to complete the change.. Kind of like resetting your body.

10. lacereza macrumors regular

I don't believe in any of that qi stuff, but if done properly it certainly does a good job of tiring out nerves and relieving pain. The more it hurts, the better for me. It's a good pain, though, like a strong massage sort of thing (sharper, feels different, but you know it's GOOD)

11. Kinderhauz macrumors member

12. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Does the pain go away for a long time, after having acupuncture?

EDIT:
    After seeing this movie, I don't believe in acupuncture. It's more a placebo I think.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

After having a Triple Pelvic Osteotomy procedure he had acupuncture to stop muscle spasms in his back.

14. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I would be interested to know how many of these 'studies' or 'research' is not in some way connected to the FDA (which has for years been trying to clamp down on alternative health remedies and which also profits from prescription drugs)

15. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

well been and it worked wonders !

i did not dare look down at the needles ,but it put me in the most chilled out mood ever:D

after 1 session i felt stronger and more flexible, placebo or not i feel great :cool:

back again next week for another dose :)

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's not a placebo effect, and acupuncture is not a pseudo-science. The guy who made that video is making a pseudo-informative video.

17. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

not on purpose. :)

I found the heated stone treatment worked better for me.

My overwhelming fear of needles did nothing to help the acupuncture process.

18. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i must admit when i felt a needle go into my crown on my skull i made a slight whimper :eek:

19. Kinderhauz macrumors member

Can you explain the biological basis for it then? How exactly does sticking needles into your body solve a host of medical problems?

20. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

No thank you!

Attached Files:

21. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

As much as I hate needles, there's no WAY I'm letting someone put a lot of them in me :p

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm no magical scientist so I don't know exactly why, but doesn't it block responses or increase the bloodflow or something like that? In the same way that a massage increases bloodflow and helps relax muscles. I just thought it was the same principle, just on a higher level.

23. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Please explain... :eek:

24. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

im a high level athlete and i've used acupuncture in the past, i never experienced long term healing, but often had it done before big competitions and found that it helped.

25. Stardotboy macrumors regular

A few years ago I had to spend a few weeks in hospital with debilitating pain in my hip, which extended to my lower back and down my leg. After trying a whole lot of more conventional methods (read: drugs) for pain relief I was referred for some acupuncture.

I must admit I was very sceptical before having it done - considering the excruciating pain I was in at the time. I ended up lying on my front with about 20 needles sticking out of my arse for half an hour or so, so perhaps not the most glamourous of therapies.

After about an hour of having the treatment my whole leg, hip and back had become incredibly stiff - almost to the point at which I couldn't move at all. After about another hour I experienced the best pain relief I'd had since my problems started, and it lasted the good couple of weeks it took me to recover.

So I'd say give it a go, and have an open mind - just make sure the person doing it is properly qualified.