Anyone tried iOS 8.3?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by me7, Apr 10, 2015.

1. me7 macrumors regular

I was wondering how iOS 8.3 was performing on an iPod touch.
    Apple claims that the performance is improved but I don't trust them on this. Still running iOS7.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

IOS 7 will always run better than any IOS 8 version as far as performance.

That being said, I have IOS 8.3 on my Touch 5 and it's running fine (i.e. I'm happy with it.).

3. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

ios 8.3 made safari browsing a little more slower but that was expected...until ios 9 arrives and kill the device. :rolleyes:

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

IOS 9 should run much better then IOS 8 on the Touch 5 (assuming that the Touch 5 will run IOS 9).

5. smorrissey, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Based on what? No ios at this moment is gonna revive such an old device performance.

Oh wait you think because ios 9 gonna be focused on optimization this device is gonna improve on performance? i don't think so.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I can shuffle through 400 songs by the same artist and not have it crash on me now like it did in 8.2. :p

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think so. Nothing will have the performance of IOS 6 and even IOS 7 on a Touch 5 but, IOS 9 should run better then IOS 8 on a Touch 5 with the optimization Apple is doing.

8. oldmacs, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

oldmacs macrumors 68040

It's the only rumour we've heard and usually by mid April we know half the feature set for the upcoming version of iOS.

Apple would be crazy not to focus on performance with iOS 9 - iOS 8 is a disaster even on A7 and A8 devices.

The main problem is ram usage, and reducing the ram usage of iOS will help hugely on A5 devices as it is the 512 my if ran that is a problem on A5 devices not the A5 processor it self.

----------

iOS 9 could possibly come close to iOS 7 if apple puts in enough effort....

9. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

Updated to 8.3 on my iPod 5th gen last night running no different at all to previous iOS 8 versions.

If you're on iOS 7 I'd stay on it as long as possible. If you're ready on iOS 8 then updating to the latest makes no difference.

10. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Strange that, as apparently it improves performance on the 4S, and i know it has helped a lot on my iPad 2.

That being said, my iPad Mini 2 is probably worse than iOS 8.2...

11. DFZD macrumors regular

It works quite well, you just need to disable a few things in accessibility settings.

12. uid15 Suspended

uid15

Works well enough. Then again, iPod touch 5th gen is hardly a screamer...

13. gpspad macrumors 6502

Got one for my dad, he hasn't complained about the speed yet. He is already talking iPhone now that he has gotten used to the iPod touch.

14. alphabetagaga macrumors regular

alphabetagaga

even if just using the music player alone? that is all i plan on using my itouch5g for when i buy it.

15. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Yes and it's great. Much better than 8.2 and the WiFi actually works now :)

16. Jsameds macrumors 68030

I have updated too and it runs much better than lower 8.x revisions, although I do have my settings optimised for performance which can help leaps and bounds with speeding up old devices. Here's a few tips to help speed up your older device:

Spotlight search:
    Settings->General->Spotlight Search

Turn off everything you don't use spotlight search for.

Background App Refresh
    Settings->General->Background App Refresh

Turn this off if you don't think you'll need it.

Turn On Reduce Motion
    Settings->General->Accessibility->Reduce Motion

This turns off the animations and parallax effect etc. Switch them off if you can live without them.

Reduce Transparency
    Settings->General->Accessibility->Increase Contrast->Reduce Transparency->On.

This will make iOS 8 look less pretty but gives a great performance boost, most noticeable when accessing Control Center.

Also it may be worth deleting any apps/games/music etc that you don't use.

17. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

was it you did i debated before?

People are on here clamoring that they're going to have the iPad2/iPhone 4S/ iPod Touch 5G

is going to be supported to iOS9.

No, its not. You know how much time and investment (paying for labor) they're going to spend to optimize OLD devices?

You're talking about a business, a business that dropped the 17" model because it wasn't selling well, not that it wasn't making profit.

You really think they're going to invest time and money to optimize for devices that most people aren't even going to use?

Its not even that, not optimizing or supporting iOS9 on these ancient devices (in terms of the smartphone/tablet game) would be a marketing incentive.

And its not like apple cares about their consumer relations, if they did they would of improved the Mac Mini, they would of offered the iPhone 6 with 32GB as the base model, etc etc.

LOL at people thinking that they're going to support iOS9 through these older models because of hi iPad Mini 1 sales.

Those Mini 1 sales are selling for cheap because apple wants to get rid of them, and of course they still make a killing profit.

But come iOS9 those devices aren't going to be supported.

Why wasn't iPhone 4 or the iPad 1 supported through iOS8? Shouldn't we optimize it for them too? :roll eyes:

Not to mention its going to a bother for developers if an app tester for apple tests on a 4S on iOS9 and can't handle the memory usage and crashes.

So no, iOS9 isn't going to be supported on devices with 1GB of ram or less.

These devices right now CRASHES AT 200MB of ram. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! There is Absolutely NO WAY apple can optimize these old devices that have 512 MB of ram.

when the OS takes 300MB of ram just too run on these old devices with old processing chips

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

We will be able to see who is correct when the details on IOS 9 are released in June. I claim that IOS 9 will support the Touch 5 and I still think that I'm correct.

(Note - The Apple store discontinues sales of a product at least one year before the product no longer supports the latest operating system. Could you imagine the lawsuits and bad PR if Apple changed that policy (i.e. no longer supporting the product just after someone buys it)).

The Touch 5 should be discontinued in September since there is no way it will support IOS 10. I hope Apple comes out with a Touch 6 but who knows.

19. oldmacs macrumors 68040

A5 devices will suport iOS 9. Your argument highlights exactly why it is a good idea. Apple can optimise iOS 9 to run well, iOS 7 was certainly optimised quite nicely for 512 MB of ram.

Spending the money to optimise iOS 9 to run well on 512 MB of ram will help them massively. One of the biggest problems of iOS 8 is that it is terrible with ram usage - this hurts the supposedly brand new iPhone 5 and iPad Mini 3 with 1 GB of ram. Basically if Apple optimises the OS enough to get it to run reasonably well on 512 MB of ram, it will run brilliantly on 1 GB of ram. So it is not a waste of resources. Lets also remember that Apple is a company with a lot of money, so its not really that much of an ask.

Apple does not just keep two A5 device the not support them. You'd be crazy to say that. Add to that the majority of iPad users are on A5 devices - mainly on the iPad 2 and iPad Mini 1. Again Apple hates fragmentation and leaving half their users behind would create massive fragmentation.

iOS 8.3 is already running better on A5 devices than previous versions of iOS 8 so it is perfectly doable.

There are very good reasons why the iPad 1 and iPhone 4 were dropped. The iPad 1 had too little ram, and it had a small installed base, and no other similar models. Same with the iPhone 4 - the only single core device left.

At the current time we have the 4S, Mini 1, iPad 2 and Touch 5 all with very similar specifications with a combined large user base. It is a completely different scenario.

----------

Exactly this. The Mini 1 is still selling in volume. Apple would have discontinued them both by this point if it was planning to drop support.

20. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

the lastest you tube app on ios 8.3 is definitely better.

21. oldmacs macrumors 68040

The Youtube app is just terrible.. needs to be overhauled. Hopefully google will get onto that.

22. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

The new YouTube design that was updated on a few people's iOS devices was worse than the current implementation according to some users. So I wouldn't bet on it.

----------

I'm pretty sure the iPod Touch was discontinued around May, a few months before the release of iOS 7 but it didn't get updated to that (which is a good thing IMO).

----------

So when will Apple drop support for the iPad 2/iPad mini/ iPhone 4s? As long as the user base is there, because that doesn't make too much sense. There's a cut off point and iOS 9 is likely candidate for that. A lot of people are using 2008 Macbook yet that didn't get updated to Yosemite. Or are you suggesting Apple should support A5 devices for a few more years because of user base?

23. oldmacs macrumors 68040

iOS 9 is probably the worst candidate for that drop. iOS 9 is supposedly a bug fix release. That means it is aimed at better performance. So having a version of iOS that improves performance means that it would run better on all devices. iOS 10 would seem to be a better place. The market share will be considerably lower, meaning Apple probably won't be leaving the majority of its iPad users behind, and iOS 10 would be expected to be a feature heavy release if iOS 9 is a performance based release.

I'd go as far to say that iOS 9 needs A5 support. Apple need to have a grounding platform, as right now, the only thing that runs the very bloated iOS 8 well is the iPad Air 2 with 2GB of Ram, yet their flagship iPhone is 1 GB, along with every other iOS device they sell. Basically, A5 support would mean getting the ram usage of iOS right down which would benefit their other devices hugely.

Obviously I would expect the Mini 1 to be discontinued at WWDC or in October, along with the iPod Touch 5, and then the installed base will shrink gradually - especially the 4S, and all devices will then get a proper 1 year (as with every Apple product bar the Touch 4) support.

Apple has never dropped devices with this high user ship before, and never a whole platform at once.

They don't just keep TWO A5 devices around this long without the intention to update them. If we revisit the whole Touch 4 scenario its very different. iOS 7 was in no way an update aimed at bug fixing and performance, so the Touch 4 was completely unsuitable for it. Secondly it was not Apple's high end iPod Touch, there was another one. Thirdly, it was the only A4/256 device on the market at the time, where as there are two A5/512 devices on the market. Fourthly the combined marketshare of A4/256 devices was low (10 percent or under) compared with the much larger one of A5/512 devices at the moment. The best explanation for the Touch 4 is probably that as we know, iOS 7 as of Late 2012, when the decision to keep the Touch 4 was made, was not a major visual overhaul, that had to be rushed to complete. Its very possible that Apple expected iOS 7 to run on the Touch 4, but when its development changed to Ives in 2013, it was no longer a viable option.

24. abhipmd macrumors newbie

25. nifta macrumors member