Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
No noticeable difference on my 5g Touch on 8.3. But I mainly use it for a music player. Probably wouldn't have gone from 7 to 8 if I was using it more intensively. Still have the iPad 3 on 7.

If iOS 9 is a bug fix, why should it get a new number? Shouldn't it just be 8.4?

I am still praying we see a 6g Touch with 128gb. Not even worried about a processor bump. Just want a music player with more storage - about to run out on my 5g and don't want to have to make the tough decision on what to keep and what to delete. Mid-contract on an Android device as my phone (wanted the bigger screen before iPhone 6+).

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
No noticeable difference on my 5g Touch on 8.3. But I mainly use it for a music player. Probably wouldn't have gone from 7 to 8 if I was using it more intensively. Still have the iPad 3 on 7.

If iOS 9 is a bug fix, why should it get a new number? Shouldn't it just be 8.4?

I am still praying we see a 6g Touch with 128gb. Not even worried about a processor bump. Just want a music player with more storage - about to run out on my 5g and don't want to have to make the tough decision on what to keep and what to delete. Mid-contract on an Android device as my phone (wanted the bigger screen before iPhone 6+).

It won't just be a bug fix, it would probably be touted as a total rewrite bringing better battery, performance etc. It will also have some new features.

Snow Leopard was 10.6 and not 10.5 even though it was mainly bug fixes.

apluser

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Safari seems to have gotten more buggy with IOS 8.3 on ipod touch 5G. Freezing and even device resets never used to happen as well as increased incidences of "a problem occured with this webpage, reloading...". I rather use my ancient phone for web browsing at times.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Safari seems to have gotten more buggy with IOS 8.3 on ipod touch 5G. Freezing and even device resets never used to happen as well as increased incidences of "a problem occured with this webpage, reloading...". I rather use my ancient phone for web browsing at times.

Thats increasingly so on all my devices, across an A5, A6 and A7 device.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

Thats increasingly so on all my devices, across an A5, A6 and A7 device.

This doesn't bother me much though... instead you should use the Mercury web browser or similar. Much lighter on resources.

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
was it you did i debated before?

People are on here clamoring that they're going to have the iPad2/iPhone 4S/ iPod Touch 5G

is going to be supported to iOS9.

No, its not. You know how much time and investment (paying for labor) they're going to spend to optimize OLD devices?

You're talking about a business, a business that dropped the 17" model because it wasn't selling well, not that it wasn't making profit.

You really think they're going to invest time and money to optimize for devices that most people aren't even going to use?

Its not even that, not optimizing or supporting iOS9 on these ancient devices (in terms of the smartphone/tablet game) would be a marketing incentive.

And its not like apple cares about their consumer relations, if they did they would of improved the Mac Mini, they would of offered the iPhone 6 with 32GB as the base model, etc etc.

LOL at people thinking that they're going to support iOS9 through these older models because of hi iPad Mini 1 sales.

Those Mini 1 sales are selling for cheap because apple wants to get rid of them, and of course they still make a killing profit.

But come iOS9 those devices aren't going to be supported.

Why wasn't iPhone 4 or the iPad 1 supported through iOS8? Shouldn't we optimize it for them too? :roll eyes:

Not to mention its going to a bother for developers if an app tester for apple tests on a 4S on iOS9 and can't handle the memory usage and crashes.

So no, iOS9 isn't going to be supported on devices with 1GB of ram or less.

These devices right now CRASHES AT 200MB of ram. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! There is Absolutely NO WAY apple can optimize these old devices that have 512 MB of ram.

when the OS takes 300MB of ram just too run on these old devices with old processing chips

I guess we'll find out the truth in June, but the latest rumour (over a month after your post) is that iOS 9 WILL support A5 devices.

I hope you feel silly when it comes out.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
@OP, I've heard mixed reactions... some said it bricks their IpT5, others say it runs well, and in between. On average, it seems there's some lag.

I didn't want to take that chance, so my IpT5 is still on ios7.0.4. Besides, I hear most of the benefits were for Iph users anyways. Only way I'll get into ios8 via IpT is if they release an IpT6.

I use it practically only for games. I go online to see if I have wifi connection, but otherwise, I have other devices for internet (Galaxy s4) and music (Classic Ipod, 80 GB)

ios9 is supposed to be a performance fix, but I don't know if that'll apply to the IpT. Iph's are generally where Apple's main focus is. Even if it does, it may not be enough. After all, nobody expected ios8 to cause issues, but it did. It wouldn't be too farfetched to expect Apple won't deliver with ios9 either.

We will be able to see who is correct when the details on IOS 9 are released in June. I claim that IOS 9 will support the Touch 5 and I still think that I'm correct.

(Note - The Apple store discontinues sales of a product at least one year before the product no longer supports the latest operating system. Could you imagine the lawsuits and bad PR if Apple changed that policy (i.e. no longer supporting the product just after someone buys it)).

The Touch 5 should be discontinued in September since there is no way it will support IOS 10. I hope Apple comes out with a Touch 6 but who knows.
Well, the IpT5 still supports ios8, so they're still good there. Also, them supporting it doesn't necessarily mean it'll run well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.