Anyone tried to put 2 Xeon X5675's in a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by m0nastic, Mar 9, 2011.

1. m0nastic macrumors newbie

I'm surprised that I haven't been able to turn up anyone mentioning this, but I was planning on picking up an 8-core very soon (like within a week or two), and from what I can tell, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to buy two X5675's to swap the CPU's with.

They're still pretty steep right now, but I figure that by the time I actually can make use of the extra oomph, the X5675's should be cheaper.

I can't seem to find any reason why they wouldn't be able to be swapped (same socket, same power usage), but maybe someone else knows something I don't?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There is no technical reason why they won't work. The reasons you haven't seen any one try it is only a few people upgrade processors, fewer post on here about it, X5675s are only 3 weeks old and if you shop around (eBay) you can get X5680s for the same price due to them having been around a lot longer. It is certainly a decent upgrade path.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

X5675 seems to be exactly the same chip as X5670, it just has one extra CPU multiplier. Even the stepping is the same (B1). It will work.

But X5680 has TDP of 130W while X5675 has TDP of 95W. X5680 will definitely work, that's for sure, but due to the higher TDP, it may require more cooling, i.e. more fan noise.

4. m0nastic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, thanks. The X5675 seems to be the highest end Xeon that's still 95W, so I figured it would be the most seamless one to use.

I figure by the time I feel the need to go from 8 to 12 cores, the Sandy Bridge Xeon's will be out, and therefor the X5675's should come down in price.

5. nick1980webb macrumors newbie