Anyone try >8GB in MBP 17" i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nwcs, Feb 22, 2011.

1. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Curious if anyone has tried to go beyond 8GB yet? I've read in several places that it can only address 8GB but I also read similarly about the old Santa Rosa 17" I had (4GB limit) and people got it to 6 and a few got it to 8. I've got 8 now but I'd love to play with 12 or 16 if it were possible.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I don't know about the actual processor in the MBP, but when I checked details of the latest mobile quad core i7 processor, the processor itself had a limit of 8 GB, so there would be no way around that.

3. RKpro macrumors 6502

There are only 2 slots, and I have not yet seen any 8GB 204-pin DDR3 modules. You can bet they will be expensive as hell (at first) when they turn up.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

As soon as someone with alot of cash has the cajones to scoop up an 8GB module that might not work, we'll know.

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

+1

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The processor architecture of Arrendale and mobile Sandy Bridge will only address up to 8GB of RAM. So anything beyond that is impossible.

It is the case, however with the Mac Pro (tower) that Apple specifies that single processor models will take up to 16GB, and dual processor models up to 32GB of RAM --- BUT it is proven that the machines will actually take up to 32GB and 64GB of RAM, respectively, using 8GB DIMMs. OWC has tested this and shown that you can install 8GB modules in the Mac Pro towers and operate with up to 64GB of RAM without a problem.

I don't se 16GB of RAM coming to the MacBook Pro anytime soon.

7. nwcs thread starter macrumors 65816

nwcs

I kind of figured there wouldn't be a way but you never know until you ask. And we've been surprised before!

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Sandy Bridge won't support it, but Ivy Bridge might. wait until late 2012 or 2013 and we should see 16GB capability on laptops by then. Only some very serious scientific apps require that much RAM. You can do pretty much anything you want with 8GB on MBP and 12GB is enough for most Mac Pro users.

9. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Lol I remember the times when my first PC had 128 MB RAM and back then Alienware had offered a custom made 2GB of ram in a desktop for $5000+ I thought o_0 who in their right mind will need that much ram... and now you say 12GB will be enough for almost everyone... but till when?!

10. kurumi macrumors newbie

11. xdbuix macrumors 6502

do those work with the current mbp? just wanna make sure before i get some.

12. nwcs thread starter macrumors 65816

nwcs

LOL. I remember my first computer, a Trash-80 CoCo1 with 4 KB of memory... I mostly want more memory because I'm working with large images in multiple programs that easily eats up tons of memory. Guess I'll just have to wait. :)