Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I used the Best Skins Ever matte screen protector for about a week on my iPhone 6, before removing it a couple days ago. Here are my thoughts:

1. Loved the texture, especially for swipe gestures and texting
2. Fit was good, but maybe it could've stretched closer to the absolute edges of the screen
3. Visibility sucked! I've used matte protectors in the past, and while I knew it would reduce visibility, this was the single worst I've seen. There was a pixelated rainbow effect on the entire screen and looking at photos was terrible - it made the beautiful retina display on the iPhone 6 look like a non-retina display

Unless I can find a screen protector that perfectly fits the contours of the glass and improves the texture for swipe gestures and texting (try swipe texting with a warm hand that isn't entirely dry), I'll be going without a protector. Turns out it only costs $109 to replace the screen on the 6, so I'll take my chances.

i'd generally agree with all of this. i thought the matte screen protector from BSE was like most other matte screen protectors. maybe just a hair worse, but mostly the same. i removed mine as well and put their glossy screen protector on instead and i'm happier with that overall.

Lockon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I used the Best Skins Ever matte screen protector for about a week on my iPhone 6, before removing it a couple days ago. Here are my thoughts:

1. Loved the texture, especially for swipe gestures and texting
2. Fit was good, but maybe it could've stretched closer to the absolute edges of the screen
3. Visibility sucked! I've used matte protectors in the past, and while I knew it would reduce visibility, this was the single worst I've seen. There was a pixelated rainbow effect on the entire screen and looking at photos was terrible - it made the beautiful retina display on the iPhone 6 look like a non-retina display

Unless I can find a screen protector that perfectly fits the contours of the glass and improves the texture for swipe gestures and texting (try swipe texting with a warm hand that isn't entirely dry), I'll be going without a protector. Turns out it only costs $109 to replace the screen on the 6, so I'll take my chances.

Was hoping that wasn't the case. Been using an anti-glare power support screen protector, and it has a perfect matte effect. Wanted the BSE matte one because it covered the whole screen, unlike power support.

Last edited:

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
I've had the BSE Matte installed on the back of my 6 Plus for 4 days now. First off, the installation took a long time and was not easy by any means. It took about 1.5 hrs for everything to adhere properly, so I was patient and eventually the finished product looks perfect. Love the matte look.

I haven't tried the screen protector, and probably won't.

Overall, has it improved the grip? Not really. It's about the same but it's not a problem for me. I think the gloss one might improve the grip.

Two thumbs up on the matte back protection. :D

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Looks like it's not valid anymore. Wonder if it was a one-time use and I used it before you guys got to it. Sorry.

yeah, probably a randomly generated code and everyone on the email list gets a different code which has only one use. good thing i wasn't planning on buying anything from them in the next month :)

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
only really interested in the the back for added grip does the BSE fit the back good and does it give some grip?

In my opinion I would say yeah, I used it with just the BSE skin for about 3 weeks and was quite satisfied with it then I took it off because I wanted to try a few thin clear cases and I found some cheap one off eBay and it is as thin as a BSE skin, adds grip and I can take it off easily unlike skins. Happy so far with this cheapo case.

dago5252

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Should I order the case optimized skin if I am using the Apple leather case?

thanks

Jzhann

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Should I order the case optimized skin if I am using the Apple leather case?

thanks

The case optimized fronts are basically how all the normal film screen protectors are. They will only cover the flat part of the face of the phone. Most people buy the BSE to cover edge to edge with the normal version. You should not have any problems fitting it inside the apple leather case if you align it properly. Otherwise the case will cause the skin to lift in certain areas so it's crucial to be precise with the application

dago5252

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
The case optimized fronts are basically how all the normal film screen protectors are. They will only cover the flat part of the face of the phone. Most people buy the BSE to cover edge to edge with the normal version. You should not have any problems fitting it inside the apple leather case if you align it properly. Otherwise the case will cause the skin to lift in certain areas so it's crucial to be precise with the application

Thanks, just to confirm, the normal BSE will work?

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
I had to cut bottom corner edges to make it work with iPhone 6 leather case. But I will soon be replacing it with slickwraps matt clear skin which gives better bottom protection.

Sal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 281

ROFLtron

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
What would be the issue if I started using the phone only after waiting a few (5 or 6) hours? There's still bubbles left, but I really want to start using my phone soon.

dago5252

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
What would be the issue if I started using the phone only after waiting a few (5 or 6) hours? There's still bubbles left, but I really want to start using my phone soon.

I don't think that should be a problem. I have install BSE on previous devices including my Macbook Air 3 years ago and it hasn't even begin to peel. I think the concern would be it may move if it is not completely dried. But I never waited the time required

Jzhann

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Has anyone experienced white soap bubbles that seem to not go away? It's been almost 48 hours and all of the other bubbles have disappeared but every time I apply a BSE glossy front, I always end up getting white soap bubbles that seem to not go away

batmanners

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Has anyone experienced white soap bubbles that seem to not go away? It's been almost 48 hours and all of the other bubbles have disappeared but every time I apply a BSE glossy front, I always end up getting white soap bubbles that seem to not go away

You probably had to much soap in your solution. I had some small soap bubbles but they all disappeared after about 36 hours.

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been using BSE since iPhone 3 I believe. Currently I have the gloss on the back and matte on the front of my space gray plus. I love the feel of the matte screen protector but I feel like I'm missing out on the awesome retina display. The gloss back makes the plus a lot easier to hold on to and currently I have an apple silicone case with the BSE.

Regarding install, I guess for me it wasn't tough at all maybe because I install window tint and clear paint protection film on vehicles and its a similar process. I will say to use a hairdryer to speed the installation process up.

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
A little update, my Apple silicone case that I put on yesterday isn't working to well with the bottom of the BSE. So I carefully removed the silicone case (which was very hard to do without damaging the BSE) and now the bottom two corners of the BSE are not looking too good. The silicone case is just too tight to work with the BSE. Lesson learned.

I do have a question. I am going to order another set for my plus from BSE, but what is the difference between the regular and 'case optimized' for the front and back? Does the non-case optimized screen protector cover all the way to the edge (including the curved part)? What exactly is the difference in the body 'case optimized' skin?

Last edited:

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
A little update, my Apple silicone case that I put on yesterday isn't working to well with the bottom of the BSE. So I carefully removed the silicone case (which was very hard to do without damaging the BSE) and now the bottom two corners of the BSE are not looking too good. The silicone case is just too tight to work with the BSE. Lesson learned.

I do have a question. I am going to order another set for my plus from BSE, but what is the difference between the regular and 'case optimized' for the front and back? Does the non-case optimized screen protector cover all the way to the edge (including the curved part)? What exactly is the difference in the body 'case optimized' skin?

Case optimized stops before the edges. The non optimized version does wrap around the curved edges pretty well with a good straight install. Mine is non-case and it comes pretty close to touching the front edge from the wraparound side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.