Anyone try buying these aluminum home buttons? (update - pics inside!)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by andyACEcandy, Oct 22, 2014.

1. andyACEcandy, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I have a space gray iPhone and really wish the home button had a silver (or space gray) ring around it. Similar to how the gold has a gold ring and the silver has a silver ring around their home buttons.

Just bought these from Hong Kong... 99 cents. We'll see how it turns out. Gonna try and get just the metal aluminum ring part (not the entire sticker obviously because touchID wouldn't work).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminium-Home-Button-Sticker-Metal-For-Apple-iPhone-6-5S-5C-4S-iPod-Touch-iPad-/281425090604?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Stickers_Decals&var=&hash=item41863e182c

Update - pics of the successful installation on post #18 below... the silver outer ring sticks perfectly around the home button! Looks sleeeeeek

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. neile45 macrumors regular

3. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Weird... I still see it...?

4. Batman89 macrumors 6502

Very interested in trying these out. Hopefully you can install just the ring around the Touch ID and that it doesn't "pop out" over the phone's surface too much.

Such a shame there's no gray ring around the Touch ID on the space gray iPhone. Would've complimented the all black front perfectly:

[​IMG]

5. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you photoshop that? That's what I'm gonna try and do once these home buttons come in.

6. Batman89 macrumors 6502

Nope. I believe that's either a rendering or a prototype that was going around as the iPhone 6's design was starting to leak.

Looks really, really good.

7. batmanners macrumors member

I also wish they made a phone available with a gold back/home button and BLACK front. THAT would be a classy looking phone.

8. matrix808 macrumors regular

from the eBay post it looks like the spigen home buttons, wouldn't that make touch id useless

9. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Let us know how it works for you. I'd love a space gray ring!

10. xclusiv1 macrumors member

yes, me too... keep us posted and post pics... if it's worth it, I'll buy it as well

11. Ahboyd macrumors member

Ahboyd

just curious.. if you put on the button, then you won't be able to use the finger print sensor.. correct?

12. xclusiv1 macrumors member

I think its just the ring around the touch id... i believe it wont cover the whole button... can anyone else chime in on this pls.

update:

now that i look at the ebay listing... its a whole sticker... and its raised quite a bit... it looks like it will cover the whole home button, making the touch id virtually non useful...

13. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you guys not read my post? I'm saying I've bought a couple of them so I can try and get just the aluminum ring part out (and not the entire sticker) so that I can still use touchID

14. TomTomHatesCats macrumors regular

TomTomHatesCats

If you remove the "button" part of it, how's it going to stick? I imagine that's where all the adhesive is.

15. xclusiv1 macrumors member

Sorry, I may have misread it (due to my excitement for a silver ring around the home button)

16. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

the OP should use gorilla glue...

17. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol let's just say I'm not gonna go too out of my way to F my phone up and get this done. Who knows, getting just the outer ring part out by itself my be too difficult.

Or, it could be really easy and fit perfectly around the home button and look awesome. :cool:

18. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update 11/2/14 - I just received the aluminum ring home button stickers and was able to get just the silver outer ring part out easily and put it on my phone around the home button. It fits perfectly! And I can still use TouchID just fine.

The stickers are on the right. You can see the one I removed the silver outer ring part from... and the other one with everything in tact. It was very easy to remove just the outer silver part... it basically came right off and still had some adhesive on it. We'll see how this holds up over the long-run with extensive use of the home button. It may lose some of the adhesiveness and fall off but for now, it seems pretty well in tact.

Best 99 cents I've ever spent (I bought a few just in case I messed it up haha)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminium-Home-Button-Sticker-Metal-For-Apple-iPhone-6-5S-5C-4S-iPod-Touch-iPad-/281425090604?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Stickers_Decals&var=&hash=item41863e182c

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. batmanners macrumors member

Wow that looks awesome! I think I'll pick up a gold one for my black 6 to go with my gold case.

Did you cut out the ring or did it slide off the sticker?

20. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I pushed the black inner portion out and was left with just the outer silver ring part. It was really easy.

The only thing is most of the adhesive is on the black inner circle part... but some of it is on the outer silver ring, so it still sticks... I'm just not sure if it'll stay on for the long-haul. We'll see.

But for now, it looks pretty damn awesome haha

21. kaikai830 macrumors 6502

Looks really good. Thanks for the idea, I just ordered a few myself.

22. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

just ordered 3 of the black/silver for my iphone 6+

i paid the extra 1.99 sipping for each since the shipping time are long from Hong Kong to USA.

Came to just under $9

23. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it did take a little less than 2 weeks (maybe 10 total days) to receive using standard shipping. Not bad considering it was coming from Hong Kong.

24. xclusiv1 macrumors member

How is it holding up... i want to see if u have any issues prior to ordering this...

25. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Wish they offered a dark gray ring, there's a reason I didn't buy a gold or silver/white iphone.