Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I'm very gun-shy about upgrading my 3G (hoping someone else will be my guinea pig :) ).

Anyone try it? Any performance degradation, bugs, etc.?

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Cool--looking for more experiences.

My g/f has a 3g and we are wondering if it's "worth" the upgrade. She will be stuck with this phone for one more year (contract renewal is up 11/11) :rolleyes:

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Upgraded my 3G with no problems. It's very noticeably faster than 4.1 (especially the keyboard) and may be on par with the pre 4.0 days. I'm wondering if it will bog down over time. It's too early to gauge battery life, but nothing out of the ordinary yet.

dnw1987

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Cool--looking for more experiences.

My g/f has a 3g and we are wondering if it's "worth" the upgrade. She will be stuck with this phone for one more year (contract renewal is up 11/11) :rolleyes:

I don't know... not to be discouraging or anything but "vistadude" said he had some bad problems with it. One is enough for me to wait awhile. Check out his symtoms..https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1053005/

andygabriel

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
No airplay!! Grrrr

Just updated my iPhone 3G. it's very snappy and it feels like it was before but there's no airplay. I can't find the option for airplay. Should i go somewhere to activate airplay.

Note: I have speakers connected to an airport express.

Cheers

ACriticalSpirit

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
I'm having an awesome time restoring my 3G for a second time after upgrading because my app pages will not rearrange. At all. I change them and they revert back. This is just the most ridiculous glitch I've ever seen on an update. Thought i'd share, just in case someone else out there experienced the same fun.

UPDATE: I figured out what happened. When I updated, all of the apps I had on my iPhone deleted themselves from my computer. All of them. I have to go through and download each one individually until I have them all again. This is grim.

Last edited:

andygabriel

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
I'm having an awesome time restoring my 3G for a second time after upgrading because my app pages will not rearrange. At all. I change them and they revert back. This is just the most ridiculous glitch I've ever seen on an update. Thought i'd share, just in case someone else out there experienced the same fun.

I didn't have any major problems upgrading BUT after the update all my music were deleted from the ipod app, so i had to resync. So expect that all your songs will be removed from the iphone 3g and then it takes like 10secs to resync and put them back on! just my 2 cents

robotfist

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
3.1.3 VS 4.2 on iPhone 3G?

I have an iphone 3G and am trying to decide on whether to keep iOS 3.1.3 or move to 4.2.

Anyone have an opinion about which is best for iPhone 3G?

4.2 might run alright after the first install, but as a user stated before, it might get bogged down over time.

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Updated my 3G just after 4.2 was released. Very, very snappy. Very happy with this release.

Can't say what it's like compared to 3.1.3 as I went straight to 4.0 back in June, but it's fast enough that it doesn't annoy me like 4.0 (and, to an extent, 4.1) did.

Quick overview:

The lock screen 'dialer' for unlocking the phone couldn't keep up with my tapping in 4.0. This was improved in 4.1 but sometimes would struggle if I tapped in my code really quickly. 4.2 no problems thus far.

The keyboard is pretty much spot on now in managing to keep up, no sluggishness.

The Messages application is noticeably quicker IMO.

Swiping left on the home screen for Spotlight produced a pause in 4.0 and 4.1, and it's very slightly still there in 4.2, but only for a split second such that I don't care anymore.

iBooks seems much more stable now. Loading up a book in 4.0 was horrendous with iBooks 1.1; iBooks 1.1.2 and 4.1 helped but 4.2 feels better.

Settings was another app I dreaded using in 4.0 and even 4.1, and whilst still not a particularly fast beast in 4.2, it's again now at a point I'll happily tolerate.

Might be the placebo effect but I'm sure battery life is better now also.

Those are all the improvements I've seen so far.

WRIGHTRACING

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Glad to hear that 4.2 is better than. 4.1, which I unfortunately downloaded a few months ago. The touch screen inop over and over is so annoying. I can't update it yet though, because of course the day it comes out I loan my mom the laptop...Either way I will be updating soon to hopefully fix this dreadful phone. If you have 3.1 I would stay away from 4.anything, unless you absolutely have to have an app that requires it. To say if it's faster than an older iOS is hard for some to remember, especially after going thru 2 terrible iOS updates.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
My gut agrees that updating 3.1.2 to 4.2.1 is a dicey thing to do. AirPlay would be nice, but not a must-have feature.

Appreciate the feedback everybody; I think I'll stick with what I have (if it ain't broke....)

torakaru

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Canada
If 4.1.2 is slower than 3.1.3 I don't think that it is a good idea to upgrade only to have "Airplay" and "Some SMS ringtones mores". :(

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I updated my 3G from 3.1.3 to 4.0 and 4.1 when they were released. The phone slowed down but not as bad as others but after a week or two it drove me crazy. I reverted back to 3.1.3 and was happy. I was optimistic when I saw the video of a 3G running 4.2, so I updated yesterday and it seems to be fine. Of course, once again I have lost all my text messages and a couple contacts. Why can't Apple give us the option to replace contacts in Address Book with those on the phone?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I updated my wife's 3G last night and at first she said when I handed the phone back to her "this phone is crap, it's not going to get faster". After she used it for about 30 minutes, she says "it does seem a little faster" :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.