Anyone update their MBP every year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Jan 17, 2011.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Who here updates their MBP with every refresh?

Reason I ask is it's totally feasible with Mac resale values to sell last years model and get a new one with a loss that's less than even buying AppleCare. So instead you always have warranty coverage and you always have an up to date computer.

I was wondering the downsides to this though. For example, having a rock solid computer you love, then upgrading to the latest and greatest and taking on whatever problems initially come with it. There's also the work of migrating you data every year, though it appears quite easy with TimeMachine.

Does anyone do a yearly update?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. What a waste of time and effort. Year-to-year updates usually have minimal effect on how people use their machines.

3. alt macrumors regular

Yup. Why not? You can sell resale it at a good price, especially while still under applecare. Resale, Buy New, Repeat. I will never have a macbook that I can't sell.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Theoretically, you can 'flip' it every year and not lose a whole lot of money. Personally, I am happy with my late 2009 MBP13 and I don't feel the hassle of changing over is worth the new model, but for people who are all about having the cutting edge, it isn't a bad decision financially at all.

5. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I usually do but it really depends on the update, if its substantial I update, if its minimal i usually go from a 13" to a 15" or visa versa, or even to the Air...

Its good to sell the current gen before it looses too much value...

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm with miles on this one. I just don't see the point.

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Negatory.

I've had my Macbook since October 2007, and plan on using it through 2012.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I agree with this. Way too much effort for not much, if any, noticeable gain

I'll update every 4 years or so

9. bwrairen macrumors 6502

I update every 2 years. I don't know what everyone is talking about here with effort. You pull the hard drive out of the new one and throw it in an external enclosure, connect it to the old MBP and clone it. Sounds pretty simple to me.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not me. I was in a 2-3 year cycle, but at this point, I'll stretch it out longer. Partly because the MBP that I have is more then capable in handling my stuff and unlike prior laptops, its not my main machine. I now have a desktop so the laptop is my backup/travel machine

11. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Ye i do update every year, i almost get all my money back, and i get a new computer which is awesome and you got that "new feeling"

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I agree that there is something exciting about that 'new feeling'...aren't we cool?

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you never heard of FireWire target disk mode? :)

14. F.N.Furter, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

F.N.Furter macrumors newbie

regular update - sure!

Hi,

I regularly replace my 15' MacBook Pro, typically every 12 to 24 months. There is no specific reason for this, but to me, the advantage is that you always have new computers, no foreseeable battery issues, and guarantee coverage. Transferring data is not an issue for me, and I even consider this as a good opportunity to make sure that you do have every password, user account and license number stored in a safe place and can therefore start at any moment from scratch again (imagine your beloved Mac stops working from one day to another). Works for me like a "Business Continuity Test".

From an economical point of view, my observation (with European prices) is that a 4-year old MBP is not worth much. I however do not lose that same value in yearly proportions when I sell the MBP after 12 or 24 months. But this can be debated and is only of secondary importance to me.

An advice for all those that want to replace their devices regularly: keep all the original packaging, really everything. And wrap up your used MBP in exactly that packaging. Makes a very good impression and shows that you really handle your Mac with care. In other terms, this increases the confidence and makes your used MBP a preferred acquisition among all those on the second hand market.

15. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I do. Every year. Love doing it. Gets new hardware with a little bit of investment. Gotta love that.

16. alt macrumors regular

I'm a techie...I enjoy this process at least once a year. :D

17. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

What's your migration method of choice?

Setup from TimeMachine backup?

Just sticking your old drive into the new machine (or using a clone)?

Install everything fresh?

Something else?

18. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I've always wanted to do this. Whats the preferred way of selling them for you guys?

19. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

eBay is a surefire way to get top dollar, but make sure you calculate what it's going to cost you in eBay and paypal fees.

Craigslist is also a good way to sell but be prepared to be lowballed on your price. People are going to offer you low amounts just to see I you'll take it. If you don't have a lot of patience or need to sell it quick you might find yourself accepting less than you originally planned to.

Another route is to list it here on macrumors marketplace forum. And don't forget to hitthe musician crowd... Post it on the gearlutz.com classifieds and also post on all the forums for music/DAW software. Most of them have buy/sell sections in their forums.

20. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

thanks. i looked at an ebay fee calculator http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm

Ebay and paypal together, take almost 100 bucks off the price. ouch.

21. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I used to do this and I finally had to wean myself off of the constant upgrading. While it fulfilled my techie lust, it was not financially intelligent, and I decided to spend my money on more important things.

It's like ripping off a bandaid, you just have to tell yourself to cut it out and just stop doing it. I've found that I kind of like having one machine for more than the usual 6 months. I'm coming up on my 1-year anniversary with this one and I love her more every day. :)

I plan to keep this one until just before the Apple Care runs out before upgrading again - sometime in late 2012.