Anyone upgraded to 4.1 but kept existing Baseband?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Doctor No, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Doctor No macrumors newbie

Iphone 4
    ios 4.0.1
    Jb via Jailbreakme
    Unlock via Ultrasnow
    Originally locked to AT&T

Now can I upgrade to 4.1 but keep my existing Baseband?
    Do I need an active At&T sim to activate the phone?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

TinyUmbrella helps, but if you want to play 100% safe. Wait until the Dev Team releases the updated Pwnage Tool.

3. psywzrd macrumors 68030

TinyUmbrella more than helps - it's exactly what you need to update to 4.1 while preserving your baseband.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

My iphone 4 is exactly the same as yours. There is no need to waste your time waiting around for PwnageTool to finally arrive.

Get tinyumbrella. Start the tss server, launch itunes, option restore to 4.1 firmware (that you've already downloaded to your computer), and let it rip.

When it's done you'll be on 4.1 / 01.59.00 JB with limera1n or greenpois0n (I've used both). Either keep your sim in or don't. Either program will hacktivate.

I've done this at least a dozen times now with the iphone 4.

5. Doctor No thread starter macrumors newbie

So after it restores it will ask me to activate? this is when I just insert my AT&T sim (not active)

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Yes, I upgraded to 4.1 on my iPhone4 and used limera1n to jb the first weekend it was out. I used TU to backup my shsh. TU updated my host file to point to Saurik's site. My upgrade 'failed' with a 1004, baseband update failed. Running 1.59.

7. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

this tinyumbrella thing dosnt work on 3gs correct?

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Correct.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

For saving SHSH, yes. For keeping the baseband from upgrading, no. You'll need something like pwnage.

10. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i saved my old baseband BUT upgraded the to 4.1 and baseband got updated too ! how do i go back ... ?

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Can't roll back the Baseband once updated, (except for some specific cases using Fuzzyband on a 3G)

12. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

so whats the point of backing shsh? just to go back on iOS not on Baseband?

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Correct, ShSHs allow you to install older version of iOS and also "custom" packaged firmware.

14. err404 macrumors 68020

Assuming that you don't plan on unlocking, is there any advantage to upgrading your baseband? bug fixes, performance, etc.?
    (other then requiring TU to kick you out of the initial activate screen)

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I'm sure there are, however only Apple knows what the "Change log" is... so far after some testing, Saurik and dev team (and others) have report that there is not performance or anything else that "makes" the "new" baseband better.

Some people have report "less" drop calls with new baseband on iP4, but i think this is nothing else than placebo effect

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I upgraded my 3GS to a custom 4.1 firmware and kept my 05.13.04 baseband.

17. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You don't need your SHSH store for installing cooked firmwares as long as it's the current one.

18. Norcalchavo macrumors regular

I upgraded my iphone 4 to 4.1 but kept my baseband using Tiny Umbrella and it worked flawlessly. I'm still under att, but when it's time to get rid of the phone, i'll sell it unlocked for more money.

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Not true about it needing to be a current firmware. A pwned phone does not even perform the signature check when you install a custom firmware, so you can install any custom firmware on any pwned phone regardless of SHSH status. Just stay on the jailbreak train.

ETA: Of course you can't install a firmware earlier than the one you are currently on, since downgrades can only be performed in DFU mode and that bypasses the pwned bootloader. But you could install, say, a custom 4.0 on a phone at 3.1 pwned even without saved SHSH.

20. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Ah, yep the iboot handles the signature check so pwned phones are exempt from it. Forgot about that, thanks.