iPad Anyone upgrading their third-generation iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snarestud940, Oct 2, 2014.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I bought an iPad to about three months before the launch of the iPad third-generation. I sold my iPad 2, and bought an iPad third-generation on launch day back in March 2012. Since upgrading to iOS 8, I have noticed a significant lag in my iPad performance. Nothing too major, but enough to notice a significant annoyance. Is anyone else thinking of upgrading their third-generation iPad? I recently just bought the iPhone 6+, and it is great! I changed from 16 GB up to 64 GB. I am thinking about doing the same with the iPad, if there is no 32 GB version.

Anyone in the same boat as I am? I'm just curious. Thanks in advance!

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I think Apple will get rid of 16gb for the iPad this year making 32gb or 64gb the base model

3. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Similar boat:

I have an iPhone 4 and a third gen ipad.

Considering ridding both and going with only a 128gb iPhone 6 Plus, or the regular 6. This is my current dilemma.

4. aberrero macrumors 6502a

I bought the iPad Air last year and it was a huge upgrade in performance and weight over the third generation. It might make sense to upgrade this year, but it really depends on what you use it for. I still have mine and use it for reading.

5. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm upgrading. It's going to be a significant update as we should expect to get.

250% Faster CPU
    200% Faster GPU

Increases from the iPad 3. There's also the other features like a better Camera, Faster Wifi, Faster LTE and obviously the new design.

Well worth the upgrade.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Nope. I haven't upgraded my iPad 3 beyond iOS 5.1.1 precisely for the reason why you are being annoyed now - to preserve performance degradation. That being said, I will probably upgrade within the next two or three years when the processor unit or RAM upgrades truly leave the iPad 3 behind.

7. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Thinking about upgrading my 3rd gen but only if they stick more ram in and the graphics get quite a bit better than the first air.

8. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

All the Geekbench tests I have seen with the iPad Air vs the iPad 3 show an AVERAGE of 550% increase in performance over the iPad 3rd Generation and I can feel that difference when i am on the iPad Air, so I can't wait for the new Air, it is going to be at least 700% increase over the iPad 3rd gen if you consider that the A8 chips in the iPhone 6 give a 25% increase in performance.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Thinking about it? I'm always thinking about it ;) Putting down the money to do it is a different matter. I bought the iPad mini, and then upgraded to the retina iPad mini. The jump from the A5 to the A7 processor already felt massive; the iPad Air would have already been a worthwhile upgrade over the iPad 3.

My personal dilemma is that my iPad mini is a work device, and I could always make use of more speed (and TouchID). It gets priority for upgrades. The iPad 3 can no longer be used for the latest games that I might want to play, but it still chugs along for everything else.

10. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I have a 128GB cellular iPad Air on Verizon, a 16GB iPad Air (for when I don't want to be carrying a $1100 tablet), and a 16GB cellular third generation iPad that I solely use for MDM testing and jailbreak testing. If the third generation iPad was my primary iPad or even my only iPad, I would probably give thought to updating it this year, or at least committing to doing so next year, depending on my bank account balance, job status and patience. Preceding the 128GB iPad Air with cellular, I had a 32GB first generation iPad and holding out until the iPad Air came out was extremely difficult. I'd imagine that doing so would be similar here. Take that as you will.

11. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Yes I will, still on ios 7, slow, but faster then what it would be on ios 8. Have a 64gb + 4G at the moment, may upgrade to a 128GB this time.

12. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I got the iPad 3 launch day and it's been a great tablet! I've been afraid to upgrade it to iOS 8, though. :) I'm surprised how essential my iPad's become. There are weeks when I don't even boot my home PC.

I'm planning to get the Air 2. Need to decide whether to sell the iPad 3 (knowing it won't fetch much) or give it to my 10 yr old niece. She's been eyeing it but is so unappreciative that I'm tempted to sell it. :eek:

13. Rainwave macrumors newbie

We are not upgrading the rest of our 3 generation iPads in our fire engines. We did one and it has severely effected our online report writing at the hospital or back at the station. After a full reinstall it is still no good with reporting online. Very disappointed.

14. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

No. With the recent rumours of retina hd for the iPad air 2. I fair it will be a repeat of the iPad 3 all over again with crap performance and heat.

15. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Both the wife and I have iPad 3s. We will not be upgrading this time around. If we were to upgrade, it will be at least a year....

16. sinar macrumors regular

I will upgrade my 3 if the new one has 2GB ram (which will hopefully resolve the safari tab reloading issue)

I use mine mainly for web browsing so thats the upgrade i'm waiting for

17. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

already gave my iPad 3 to my parents and now i am waiting for the new ipad air 2.

18. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Still have the 3 since launch week and I'm thinking it's time since I don't want to go to iOS 8 on the 3. Might depend if they say something about this "Pro" iPad though.

19. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I have a launch day 3rd gen and it's gotten a bit slow since downloading iOS 8. My wife's 2 is even worse. Since getting touch ID on me iP6 I've fallen in love with the feature. I would also like to have the lightning connector to cut down on the number of chargers when traveling. Sometimes its little things.

So I figure it's time to give Apple some more of my money. I should be good after upgrading for a few more years.

20. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I just traded it in to Amazon for credit. iOS8 made it just laggy and I skipped the 4 and the Air so I will probably bite this time around with the new Air 2. It's a pretty significant update speed-wise. Touch ID and possibly 2 Gb of RAM would definitely make the user experience much more pleasant versus the 3.

21. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

No....I am writing this on the iPad 3 and did not upgrade to iOS 8 on this one.

My wife has also an iPad 3 and it still does what she needs. I updated her iPad to iOS 8 to get the family sharing option and she does not notice a lag, though I did on safari when I compared my iOS 7's iPad 3 to hers.

Yes...upgrading would give a great experience, including a lighter pad, but putting out the money to get another while the iPad 3 still does what we bought it for, including a great looking retina screen and still great battery life (still all day)...why?!?

I would rather upgrade my Mac mini 2009 'if' something happens. :rolleyes:

Don't have the money and don't want to get stuck like we did when we bought the iPad 3 . Should wait one more year or update to make sure Apple works out the bugs on the new resolution screen and heating issues etc.

22. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

Getting an iPad 2 would honestly be an upgrade over an iPad 3.

23. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

True..BUT we who were "burned" when we ran out to first buy the iPad 3 are weary when apple updates their screen resolution to face heating and battery issues.

Better to play it safe and wait to see how it goes and/or wait for the next update so they work out the bugs.

Apple has shown lately that they do not work out everything before release and use the public to work out the bugs, so waiting it a good thing.

24. KIERONOO macrumors newbie

I will upgrade from iPad 3 if they don't announce a iPad Pro

25. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

Well, I was planning to upgrade. But, haven't been able to sell the 3.

If the 3 had sold, I'd upgrade. But, as it is, I'm not sure I want to spend the money on an Air 2. I know the 3 has a bad rep, but mine is still going strong. And, there's nothing revolutionary about the Air 2.