Anyone upgrading to Series 2 from original?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sflomenb, Sep 10, 2016.

1. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Do any other original Apple Watch owners plan to upgrade to series 2 watch?

2. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I am upgrading mine. I really want the ability to swim with the watch on.

3. AndersOlson macrumors member

I'm going from original to Series 2. The original is quite laggy and I think it prevents me from using it as often as Id like so I'm hoping the dual core CPU in the S2 will fix that.

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

5. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I did, was last minute decision to upgrade watch and not my phone.

I almost went for the new iPhone 7+ but my 6+ is just fine, I don't need 5x optical zoom except for the cool factor, and I don't care about a solid state home button, my storage is fine, no headphone jack is not really a plus, so what the heck was I thinking? So I saw the second mic, plus a better processor, brighter screen, water proof, and GPS...

Watch has many more usable upgrades for me, iPhone upgrade is just no compelling at all for me this time, and I have upgraded every year since iPhone 4, but not this year. So I'm saving $500 bucks and getting at least something new:)

6. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Have the 42mm SS, works fine, not upgrading

7. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Upgrading. Owner of the 42 MM Stainless Steel.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I don't swim, so no. As for GPS, I have Garmin running watch for that.

If there was any chance I could sell my 42mm SS Milanese loop for anywhere near what I paid ($425), then I would. Since the prices dropped so far, I doubt that is possible.

9. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Upgrading your watch has got to be the biggest money pit ever.
    The watch is losing 80% in resale value between pretty incremental updates.
    When they redesign it next year your Series 2 will probably lose 90% in value...

Is it worth throwing 500 dollars away for features like 25% brightness and GPS?
    If you are dying to swim with your Gen1, there are waterproof cases available...

The laggy UI is gone in watchOS 3, the only lag left is the Bluetooth tethering which will still be present in Series 2

10. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I don't know what specific model you talking about, but no series 2 watch is going to lose 90% value in a year. But watches diffently have a lower resale value compared to iPhones, iPads, Macs.

11. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

Hmmm, a second mic. A second mic on watch would make voice calls and dictation more accurate.

12. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Upgrading from stainless steel to the new one. Want that faster CPU!

13. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

Same here. Had the SS 42 BSB, upgrading to SS 42 WSB for Series 2. Purely for the faster CPU. I'd imagine there are likely other upgrades/tweaks too that weren't enough to call out during the presentation so I'm in for all of that.

14. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Won't Series 1 be enough for the faster internals, or am I missing something?

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah - Series 1 isn't available in Stainless Steel :)

16. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Gotcha. Clever clever Apple.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a runner so I am definitely intrigued by the Series 2, but my major concern is the very thing I want in it - the GPS.

The GPS component is a power hungry component. My old Fitbit Surge had a rated battery life of a week (or 10 days) without using the GPS. turn the GPS on, and the battery life shrinks to 7 hours. With that in mind, I'd like to see some real world numbers on the AW2 before any decision is finally made.

18. maconut macrumors member

Gold sport came out after I bought mine. That, brighter screen and faster CPU, plus selling the original makes it worth it for me.

19. elemenohme, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  20. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

It speeds stuff up a little bit, but the original Watch is still not a fast watch.

21. as4life macrumors regular

22. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

It's so weird that in the early hands on nobody commented to the improved speed. Like nobody! Can't wait for the first reviews.

23. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hijack for a moment..

Will be a first time Apple Watch owner..

Thought the first gen was underwhelming and am ready to bite - have Series 2's pre-ordered for my wife and I.

Just noticed that I can get an "Open Box - Excellent" 42mm space grey with black woven nylon band for $198.

That's $200 cheaper than the same Series 2.

People are saying that WatchOS3 will breathe life into the first gens - but, I have to believe that (all their upgrades aside) the OS alone will not make a first gen keep up with a new Series 2.

What would you do?

24. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

Depends on your emotional price point. Obviously you can afford it otherwise you wouldn't have ordered it, but did you feel you were stretching it? Would you rather err on the side of over-paying vs. getting a watch that underperforms at times. GPS important to you? The series 2 is a bit thicker too, (0.9mm), but I remember my shirt cuff just fitting over the gen 1 AW, so the series 2 very well be an issue for my shirt cuffs. Also, when will you get the series 2? If you'll get them on the 16th, I would lean towards keeping the two series 2.

25. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Ordered series 2 at 5am EST through Apple - claims 9/30 delivery. Also, (crazy maybe) ordered through Best Buy who promises release day delivery. We'll see.

The new features are nice - but, I was thinking that the sub-$200 price point would be a nice way to check out the platform, see if I like it and then maybe upgrade later for maybe a more substantial upgrade than from first gen to second gen. But, that could be said for every device, every year - so, a moot point I suppose.

I feel like the price premium is also paying for that extra year or so beyond where the first gen will eventually become dated.

I should stop obsessing and just enjoy the watch I ordered, haha.