Anyone use an iPhone & Droid driven phone? *Updated*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Jul 29, 2010.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I need to get a second phone for business purposes and I really get sick of AT&T's performance in rural areas and also certain cities. It can actually become horrid in certain places where I literally have had to switch to edge just to be able to use data at all.

So, I went ahead and ordered a Driod X on Verizon as my business phone. From what I have read it is the best Verizon has to offer and I am excited as this will be my first non-iPhone smart phone since 2007.

This is not a competition thread or debate on features. I really would like to keep this an informative thread from those who use both and how they compliment each other and your general or specific observances. This will also be my first experience with Verizon so this will be interesting within itself.

2. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Not sure about the droid part, but I travel extensively for work and need Internet access when I do, so for the same reasons you stated I got a verizon mifi. This way I can have the speed of AT&T when I need it but get the coverage of verizon when out of AT&T coverage. So far it has worked very well....

3. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I'm with you there. I fly about 200,000 miles a year. I love my iPhones throughout the years but part of me wants something different. When it arrives we shall see how it really pans out but I am looking forward to Verizon's service.

4. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

5. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I currently have a Samsung Vibrant, nexus 1, and an iPhone 4. To be honest, I am not a big Android fan. The iPhone does everything better besides notifications. It takes about two weeks time of using an android device before you will start missing your iPhone.

6. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

SS Vibrant and iPhone but my iPhone isnt a iP4. Have had the iPhone turned off for nearly two weeks now.

In case you dont like the screen on the Droid since you have the Retina display on your iphone, Verizons version of Galaxy S is called "Fascinate" but they dont have a release date yet. Sprints version is coming out Aug 20th.

7. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

The Droid X seems to be the most comparable to the iPhone 4 in specs and reviews. Honestly, Sprint and T-mobile were out of the question. I need Verizon for coverage.

8. vegastime macrumors regular

I currenly have both the Droid X and the iPhone 4. I have not really put them to much of a test yet. The Droid does seem to have the occaisional lag or bug. I know some people do not care for it, but, I love the screen size of the Droid.

I am taking a trip to upstate rural NY late next week. Should be a good time to compare at least the coverage aspect.

9. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

10. soleilvie macrumors member

I used a Droid Incredible and an iPod touch for a month before deciding to get an iPhone and doing away with the iPod touch. The biggest deal breaker for me on Android was the app store. Of course I knew going in that the app store wasn't as great but I thought I could adjust. I pretty much ended up using my phone only to make calls. I did have fun with the widgets but the excitement wore off after awhile. I don't think it's such a big deal for you though if you're going to be using both platforms.

11. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

It's funny you have that issue because when I told my wife she was getting an android, she snapped and said she can't get the same apps as what's on her iphone. We looked on the market and every app she uses is on the store. Facebook, Twitter, eBay, Amazon, TMZ, USA Today, CNN, Law Library....ect.
    No good games though. Couldn't find that stupid farm game. thank god

12. weespeed macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 and a Droid.

I really can't say that Verizon is better than AT&T 100%, because sometimes I think it's the iPhone. I've had iPhones 3G, 3GS and now 4. They all had crappy reception.
    I don't put blame all on AT&T because when I'm with friends that don't have an iPhone that are on At&t, they have reception where I don't. It really sucks.

But right now I get reception where I don't get on my iPhone 4 all over SF an the EastBay on my Droid.

If your phone is important for business, ie making money, I would use a different phone or try verizon.

That;s my opinion.

13. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Just sold my Nexus One and ordered an iPhone 4... using my 3GS until it arrives then I'll sell that too. Android is nice... if an iPhone isn't an option. But yea... iPhone wins for me.

14. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I don't know if you read the first post but I have the iPhone 4 and I am keeping it. I am adding a second phone for business purposes and it is the Droid X on Verizon. I don't plan on carrying two phones around. When I need to I can just setup call forwarding to the Droid and vise versa. This will be my first Droid & Verizon experience so I am kind of excited about it. I love the 4 but honestly the thrill is not what it used to be.

15. weespeed macrumors 6502

Ahh. I had a brain fart. They both have their pros and cons.
    I did what you plan on doing for a while. I had my iPhone forward calls to me and vice versa. But after a while it got confusing cause I was using both for text and stuff. So now I use both.
    It's a pain sometimes but I got used to it.
    I use my droid for work and use it to tether my iPad while on BART. Also use it for google services. I love the way my Droid and google just sync effortlessly. I use it for gtalk, google voice etc. I also use it for google maps. It is really nice how it works together.
    Also the notifications are great. I don't have to turn on my phone and unlock it to see I missed a call, email, or message. I just look over and see a flashing led. Different colors are assigned to different notifications.

I use my iPhone for surfing the web and texts. Also playing games.
    To be honest if the iPhone could sync to google services like the droid and wifi tether I wouldn't carry the droid. And if the Droid had a smoother touch interface and a little bigger screen I would sell the iPhone.

I'm just waiting for a phone that is a hybrid of the iPhone 4 and any Android phone. That would be my ideL phone.

16. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Android is a great platform, the superior OS. Only problem? There's no unified manufacturer. Good luck getting updates on your phones. That's the reason I'm taking my Captivate back and getting an iPhone 4. I'd like my phone to be relevant for more than 3 months, please.

17. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

You *told* your wife she was gettin an android? I'd have snapped at you too lol

18. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

iPhone 4 and Nexus One here. Love them both. Or did you mean the actual Droid phone?

19. intervenient macrumors 6502a

I wish I had bought the Nexus One while I had the chance. Actually, I wish Google would give more than a half-hearted effort at putting out a phone, and put some more effort into making Android a brand.

20. JustLeft macrumors 6502

I am using both the iphone 4 and a Nexus One. If I could keep only one, it would be the ip4. OTOH, it is nice having an unlocked phone and using the Froyo wireless network setup on the N1 is great. Keeping both for the time being.

21. JustLeft macrumors 6502

One thing with the N1 - you don't see them everywhere like the iphone. There is some advantage to that.

22. wreckshop macrumors 6502

Huuuuge advantage. Especially here in San Francisco. They're very common and practically every gay dude in SF owns an iphone.

People see my N1 and go what kind of phone is that?

23. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I have both a. iPhone 4 and a Samsung Captivate...here are my thoughts I just posted on another forum...

I have both phones as well and for the most part agree with what you said with a few more thoughts.

The Captivate works much better as a PHONE while the iPhone works much better at everything else so it depends on what is more of a priority for you.

As a phone, I find the Captivate more natural to hold, it has a signal everywhere for me and not one dropped call in the past week. The iPhone would drop at least a call or two per day. Captivate also works better over Bluetooth car handsfree and has useful basic features like long press speed dial and searching using the numerical keypad. One place the iPhone does much better is Visual Voicemail. I have Google Voice setup for Visual Voicemail on the Captivate but it's buggy at times. The volume is real low for some reason and sometimes it takes a while to load the messages, I've even had it give me an error that it couldn't connect. Never ever had a problem with Visual Voicemail on the iPhone.

The Captivate does a much better job for settings and switching different things on/off via widgets, but that can be done an a jail broken iPhone as well.

Typing is much better on the Captivate because of Swype. I love it.

For me, that is where the advantages of the Captivate stop.

The display is a hands down winner for the iPhone for me. I know the screen is smaller but it more than makes up for it with the clarity. Items on the Captivate look jagged...not always but often enough.

Email on the iPhone works much more reliable for me. I have it setup as IMAP and it just works, never had an issue syncing. On the Captivate, I've tried the stock app, K-9 and MailDroid and none have been reliable. Even Gmail, which gets the email real quick...doesn't work properly with my Apple Mail program (shows messages still haven't been read even though they were read on the Captivate). Visually the iPhone mail app is much more polished than anything available on the Android Market.

Browser is not as good on the Captivate, and I tried Dolphin HD too. Just usnt as smooth and I don't like how it renders the text.

Text messaging is pretty similar with using ChompSMS on the Captivate but again the iPhone is more polished when adding a picture to your message or allowing you to call the person directly from within the app.

The camera is far superior on the iPhone. I did some tests of shooting the same scenes and the iPhone easily won. Much sharper and better color photos. The app itself is also easier to use. Yes the iPhone has almost no adjustable features but it doesn't need them here, it just works well the way it comes. The LED flash is also great, not only for pictures but also as a flashlight.

Android Market vs App Store again is no contest. The App Store just has a lot more mainstream support. I couldn't find any apps to play Romanian radio on Android whereas the App Store has dozens of them. There is no Chase Banking app on the Android market and before you say there are alternatives, they are not close enough. The iPhone app allows me to deposit checks by taking a picture of the, the Android copy, not so much. These are just a couple examples but you get the idea.

That about wraps it up. As you can see, my biggest gripes withnthe Captivate are mostly Android related. It just feels amateurish to me, like a bunch of "shade tree" developers put it together while iOS feels like it was put together by a company who knew and cared what it was doing. I know youncan customize it as you want but Ive been trying for the last week to find the correct apps to make it "just work" and haven't been able to yet.

It's funny, I usuallybhave both phones within reach and I grab the Captivate if I need to make a call and the iPhone for everything else. I still haven't decided which I'm going to keep...having a cell phone that actually works as a phone is a pretty high priority.

24. nicegoogly macrumors regular

nicegoogly

I couldn't agree more. I have an iPhone 4 and an EVO. Android was much better than I expected and I love it, but the iPhone is my true love. The HTC sense is nice and the notifications are awesome. Too bad a notification interface couldn't be built into the useless app switcher for the pointless multitasking that we all wanted so much on the iPhone.