Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
I repeat: most, if not all, Cydia apps will transfer to a new device if you log in to Cydia with the username you used at purchase. If any do not, you should just contact the developer.

Your pathetic excuse to justify stealing apps is just that: pathetic.

I agree 100%, if you put in the same information you are not charged twice. If you are, just email the developer. Is it that hard?

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
No one is criticizing simply having to re-download an app for their new device and supply some login credentials or something. What we're criticizing is requiring someone to re-purchase an app when all they are wanting to do is move the app to a new device (not use it on both devices). In no other realm would such a thing be considered 'stealing' except the arcane world of software copyright and EULAs.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
What we're criticizing is requiring someone to re-purchase an app when all they are wanting to do is move the app to a new device (not use it on both devices).

Can you point to a single Cydia app that behaves like that? Can you show me an email from a dev saying you have to repurchase because he won't let you move an app to a new iDevice? This is a straw-man argument to justify piracy, plain and simple.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
No one is criticizing simply having to re-download an app for their new device and supply some login credentials or something. What we're criticizing is requiring someone to re-purchase an app when all they are wanting to do is move the app to a new device (not use it on both devices). In no other realm would such a thing be considered 'stealing' except the arcane world of software copyright and EULAs.

Please read this:
If you agree to a Terms of Service. You are entitled to abide to it.
If it says 1 time install on 1 device or system, it means it. If you pay and receive the product, you are supposed to understand and abide by this.

If someone says, you can use my bike one time to ride it to the store and bring it back to my house after (between 3pm-5pm). Then you, being yourself, go and ride it to the store, home, your girlfriends house, etc and use it from 2pm-9pm. They would have every right to be mad. You just waked all over what had been agreed upon.

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
What TOS ? I never saw any for any cydia app..

WHY are you guys saying its not ok for cydia store.. but its ok for appstore ?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
This really isn't a discussion just a couple people trying to justify themselves. really not sure why/ there really isn't little point to this topic at all. since it's not a discussion. why you would even bring attention to yourselves is beyond me. I guess you must be feeling guilty and looking for people that share your opinions.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Please read this:
If you agree to a Terms of Service. You are entitled to abide to it.
If it says 1 time install on 1 device or system, it means it. If you pay and receive the product, you are supposed to understand and abide by this.

Regardless of what the TOS states, it is reasonable to contact the developer to with your concerns. Obviously he has the "right" to throw the TOS in your face and ignore the issue, but at least provide them the opportunity to address it. As others have said, many(all?) apps already support transferring your licenses.

WHY are you guys saying its not ok for cydia store.. but its ok for appstore ?
What does the Apple App Store have to do with this? Apple ties licenses to your account and explicitly allows more then one device per app purchase.

I really wish pirating App Store apps could go away. It's the only reason Apple cracks down so hard on JB.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
I repeat: most, if not all, Cydia apps will transfer to a new device if you log in to Cydia with the username you used at purchase. If any do not, you should just contact the developer.

Your pathetic excuse to justify stealing apps is just that: pathetic.

Correct.

In fact, *every* app bought in the Cydia store will transfer to a new device, if you authenticate with the same credentials you used the first time. That's how the Cydia store works.

For non-Cydia store cydia apps,*every* time I've contacted a dev asking to transfer my license to a new device, the dev has obliged. I even bought some camera app where the devs website specifically warned that the license was tied to a specific device and would not be transfered, and, even in that case, the dev transfered my license to a new device.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Correct.

In fact, *every* app bought in the Cydia store will transfer to a new device, if you authenticate with the same credentials you used the first time. That's how the Cydia store works.

For non-Cydia store cydia apps,*every* time I've contacted a dev asking to transfer my license to a new device, the dev has obliged. I even bought some camera app where the devs website specifically warned that the license was tied to a specific device and would not be transfered, and, even in that case, the dev transfered my license to a new device.

Exactly. This whole thread is based on the false premise that one must steal apps to transfer them, and it's simply not true.

EDF

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
We should all be realistic, the truth is, 3/4 of you guys don't pay for apps, so let's have a discussion on what apps are worth purchasing. The reality is what is going to happen to him? Nothing, /thread.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
We should all be realistic, the truth is, 3/4 of you guys don't pay for apps, so let's have a discussion on what apps are worth purchasing. The reality is what is going to happen to him? Nothing, /thread.

I find this insulting. I pay for every single app. Period.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
We should all be realistic, the truth is, 3/4 of you guys don't pay for apps, so let's have a discussion on what apps are worth purchasing.

I do not think your figures are correct. Certainly I know that I do not download cracked apps.

I have purchased:

3G Unrestrictor
iFile
Safari Download Manager
Popup Blocker
PkgBackup
CategoriesSB (which I no longer use since 4.0)
Music Controls

All of these apps are definitely worth the price.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Can you point to a single Cydia app that behaves like that? Can you show me an email from a dev saying you have to repurchase because he won't let you move an app to a new iDevice? This is a straw-man argument to justify piracy, plain and simple.

In the OP's defense, an app that did this was snapture. No idea if this is still an issue. Here's a quote from email I got from them on 3/26/09, as a said in my last post, their policy was not to allow transfers, but they did it for me anyway:

Hello,

Normally, we don't allow users to switch their Snapture Premium activation to a different iPhone serial #, but if you provide the following information for our records, we can switch your activation within 10 business days. Thanks for your patience, and continued support of Snapture.

Name:
Order Confirmation #:
Date of Snapture Premium Purchase:
Old iPhone Serial # when Snapture was Purchased:
New iPhone Serial # to be Activated:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
In the OP's defense, an app that did this was snapture. No idea if this is still an issue. Here's a quote from email I got from them on 3/26/09, as a said in my last post, their policy was not to allow transfers, but they did it for me anyway:

But, as you say, they did transfer it for you. Nobody has yet offered any evidence that they've been unable to transfer anything. It's all straw men.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007

Same. I refuse to even pirate an app for a "trail". I JB for features Apple wont give me, not for free apps. I'd love to see actual statistics on JB usage.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008

I think the truth is just the opposite -- probably well in excess of 3/4 of people here have paid for every app every time.

I am one who will admit to having extensively downloaded cracked apps from the cydia store and from the appstore. But, in every single case, without any exceptions, I have either deleted the app or purchased it within a couple of days.

By the way, to be clear, every instance using a cracked app is stealing. It's not quite the same as walking into a store and stealing a game or DVD, but it's close enough that there's no reason to debate the differences. If you want to steal apps, then call it what it is, and don't waste your time trying to justify the legitimacy of your actions.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
But, as you say, they did transfer it for you. Nobody has yet offered any evidence that they've been unable to transfer anything. It's all straw men.

Yup. It's all people making up bad guys to justify their own bad actions. Why can't people just own up to what they do?

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
so I am stealing an App I already purchased on a previous device ?

either way I dont care what you guys think.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
No, it's copyright infringement. :rolleyes:
Don't fall into the RIAA's trap. Just because they repeat that it's stealing, doesn't change the law.

I'm all for exactness in language, but in this case I think that insistance on use of the term "copyright infringement" instead of "stealing" serves only to obscure the moral implications of the act. Whatever the legal term for the crime, it is stealing.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007

Predictable.
FYI - The consensus of most people on the thread is that they don't believe the problem you describe is real. You never answered the question about whether you reached out to the developer.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal

Yes if its cracked. Install the official version and email the developers.
Cracked is cracked!

Sorry about my misinformation before, i was talking in general terms.
If something says in its TOS that it has 1 use, anything past that is stealing... sorry. I know that cydia does not do this!

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009

I agree. I don't "steal" apps. I don't make copies of software/movies/music for my friends to use. I pay for my stuff. And if all Cydia apps can be transferred without having to repurchase, great. But in the event that I purchased some piece of software for my device and for some reason I need to move it to a new one while erasing the old install, and a developer won't help me with that without requiring more money, screw him. I'll find it cracked and use it from there. And I'll be on the lookout for a better alternative that doesn't put onerous and stingy restrictions on me that I can replace that app with as soon as possible.

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
I agree. I don't "steal" apps. I don't make copies of software/movies/music for my friends to use. I pay for my stuff. And if all Cydia apps can be transferred without having to repurchase, great. But in the event that I purchased some piece of software for my device and for some reason I need to move it to a new one while erasing the old install, and a developer won't help me with that without requiring more money, screw him. I'll find it cracked and use it from there. And I'll be on the lookout for a better alternative that doesn't put onerous and stingy restrictions on me that I can replace that app with as soon as possible.

they dont get it

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit

Ok feel better feel justified good for you! ;) as thelatinist said Cydia apps transfer to devices. oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.