Anyone use Splashtop? Help?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by sillyrabbitt, Mar 19, 2011.

1. sillyrabbitt, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

i want to buy this app but i am a little lost with a few things:

1- how do i setup spalshtop over 3g to work? is this easy and possible?

2- how do allow myself access to my computer even when the screen saver goes on? it seems to kill accessibility? is this preventable?

3- i am having problems dragging the mouse cursor around the screen is that the way to use it or just tap where you want to click? i keep messing up moving windows and selecting text when i just want to get to a certain part of the screen.

THANKS for any help!!!

2. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Bump,

I am finding this app to be pretty useless if I can't get to my home machine when it goes to sleep.

Is LogMeIn any better?

3. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I havnt tried to use it off my wifi network yet so I can't help you there, but you definitely just tap where you want to click, you don't drag the mouse around.

I'll try to set it up to wake my comp (I know you definitely can.. just dont know enough to explain it) over the internet later, but its still plenty useful around the house for a 5 buck app. Stream video (flash internet video or actual files) around the house, audio, maybe do some light work in pc only apps from the couch, etc.

4. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

this is what i am coming too as well...

this coupled with teamviewer which is free is a good combo. teamviewer keeps screen locked and allows access. but i would also like the ability to transfer files from pc to pad which i think logmein does so maybe i need that too.

5. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

6. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Ugh, this is such a waste, the reviews on this app make it pretty clear it is useless for anything but being at home using your iPad as a "TV" remote for your computer, not away from home, total garbage!!!

So I bought and installed LogMeIn HD and can't get the thing to login..:mad:

I'm sorry, but in my 23 years using Mac's professionally, I have never seen such a junk show like trying to be productive with this device, Damn it!!!!!

7. m1sfit macrumors newbie

I use Splashtop regularly (internal and external) and find it to be a fantastic product for my needs.

Try these links:
    http://splashtop.zendesk.com/entries/266271-how-do-i-connect-to-my-home-pc-from-outside-of-home

http://support-remote.splashtop.com...a-desktop-computer-remotely-over-a-3g-network

http://support-remote.splashtop.com/entries/386414-remote-wake-on-lan

Just tap where you want to click - use the gestures to move the screen up and down. Tap hold to drag and drop. The program isn't perfect, just toy with it. It has many more pros than cons, imo.

8. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Switch to decaf, dude.

SplashTop is a spectacular app, a steal for its price. I use it daily for remote Flash viewing, and its video rendering is so smooth - sometimes I forget I am using a remote control app. You just wasted $30 bucks on LogMeIn, when SplashTop is essentially the same thing, and in some respects even better. Congrads.

9. Macshroomer, Mar 20, 2011

Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I am trying to use these things to keep earning my living, I have been on this thing for close to four hours now to get work done and nothing is working. I don't need flash or web streaming, I need to get to files remotely, when the computer is asleep, etc.

If hundreds of dollars of your uptime was being wasted on a $800 gadget, you would be ticked too.

But seriously, for what I am trying to get done and for what others might garner from this thread, there is nothing in your post of direct value at all.

10. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Did you throw your laptop in the trash? Jesus just use something else until you have the free time to figure it out. I havn'nt needed it on my iPad yet so I havnt tried it yet on splashtop, but logmein on the iPhone took 5 minutes...

And issues with connecting to vnc and waking are all about your comp and router, not the iPad client...

11. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

As someone else pointed out, there is a KB article on splashtop website explaining how to connect from outside of your network.

12. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Explain in more detail what you're trying to do. Are you trying to remotely download files from your desktop to iPad? In that case, you may want to look into DropBox or similar cloud-based storage.

When your computer is asleep - it's inaccessible from the network (unless you setup Wake-on-LAN). It has nothing to do with the iPad, or the remote control apps that you're trying to use.

13. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

14. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Where is this, I looked in Network in prefs and see nada....

Thanks for bearing with me by the way.

15. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Did you actually read the instructions you found? it is stated right there:

Open the ports in the home Wi-Fi router's firewall.

I don't mean to be rude or condescending, but you seem to be way over your head here. Find a friend who knowledgeable about home networking to help you out with whatever you're trying to do.

16. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the links about 3g... however i am not really sure how to do it and not sure what i am messing with. but it brings up a few more questions:

1- how come teamviewer works on 3g without doing a thing but installing it? is there another program out there that is as easy and seamless that does flash?

2-i dont put my computer into sleep i just set it for a screen saver and pw to resume fuction. with teamviewer i login using my teamviewer password not my computer password and the screen stays locked. how do i do this with splashtop or anyother remote app? can i? I just dont want anyone to see my screen and what i am doing when i am not there and then having my computer unlocked. how do i avoid that?

thanks

17. Macshroomer, Mar 20, 2011

Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

It's ok, it's the net, lots of crap out there. Do I use Network utility in apps, utilities to access that? I looked but nothing readily jumped out at me in terms of ports except scan ports....

Edit: Ok, got LogMeIn to log in but still no wake from sleep, homing in...

And I don't mind having both apps by the way, redundancy is a good thing with these types of utilities...

18. rich121 macrumors newbie

To access From 3G you have to make a static ip for the machine you want to access and then forward ports 6783-6785 to that ip address. That's how I was able to get it working and it's been working great so far.

19. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Cool, where do I find that setting in OSX?

In prefs or Network Utilities in apps, utilities?

20. Meanee macrumors 6502a

You mentioned getting Logmein as well, right? Logmein does not need any ports opened at all. Give it a try.

21. rich121 macrumors newbie

System Preferences/network manually configure to make a static ip

port forwarding is done with your router google how to port forward for your brand of router mine is a cisco and its under applications and gaming.

22. dstar macrumors regular

From a security standpoint I personally wouldn't open any holes in my firewall these applications, unless you can manage your firewall remotely to close them down when you are done.

If you rely on remote access to a home network for business reasons I would get something that supports VPN access. I have a cisco ASA that I use and VPN access is flawless with the iPad.

23. CK Seal Beach macrumors newbie

The advantage of Splashtop Remote is that it is wicked fast and has audio, so it is an awesome solution for those that want to play games, watch hulu, stuff like that. Only $5 too. Very easy to control and use, too.

It is DEAD simple to setup to use within your home Wifi network, but... right now, setting it up for outside access is not so simple. See the links above, you need to setup your router for it. Not for the faint of heart, and some setups are a major pain (like DSL solutions where the modem is also a router). Splashtop has said making this process easier is one of their priorities, but it requires extensive backend work on their part. So sometime in the future.

If your goal is just to access files, there are other solutions that probably are easier (iTeleport, Screens, many many more). Many people actually run 2 or more different clients, depending on their needs. Suggest you check those out, or one of the others recommended here.

24. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

It's not waking the computer or display from sleep...

25. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Lol, it's so funny to hear people go on and on about an app as being "useful" for what some of us are trying to do only to find out it is totally useless after trying it out.

Oh well, at least it was only $5 wasted...