Anyone Use Those Silicone Keypad Covers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ITS ME DAVID, Sep 23, 2010.

1. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

I was first torn between actually ordering the whiite macbook over the macbook pro because i hated the black keys on the silver macbook pro.

Well after searching google, ebay etc i found out about these silicone keyboard covers and want to know if you have one and also im trying to get as close as the original MBP color but these below seem to be the closest what do you guys think will look better on the MBP.

Silver:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...91852&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2358wt_1019

White:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...535192&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2383wt_991

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I got one of the silver ones and stopped using it since like all the other silicone covers, they attract dust and slow typing speed. The silver looked kinda lame also once I put it onto my MBP IMHO. But the silver would look less weird if that's what you're going for.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"What looks better" is a personal preference. You can answer your own question.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I just ordered a ProTouch FX for my MBP and it should be here within an hour and I will let you know how it works out...

While they arent the same brand, I got mine cause it glows in the dark(Yes I know, here comes the flaming but it saves keyboard backlight = less battery use) and I guess it actually goes out of the keyboard and up on top of the case so I guess that will contain spills better. Im hoping it doesnt hit the screen but since I have the AG which I do believe is recessed more than the Glossy I think it will be fine.

The ProTouch FX also has microban and it ALLOWS the keyboard backlight to come through which I dont think the cover you linked to does.

I will come back and report once I get mine and put it on.

5. ITS ME DAVID thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea not sure on the silver it looks to dark more like a grey color.

Nice lmk how it goes.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

+1 for the iSkin Protouch FX. I've used them for the last 2 years on 3 different Macbooks with backlighted keyboard, it works perfect and it matches the color of the keys unlike the Moshi clearguard that gets cloudy and dirty after a short time because it's clear.

7. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I personally don't like the keyboard covers. I have a friend that won't go without one but I prefer the keyboard as it comes. I never put a drink or liquid near any of my Macs so I don't feel the covers are needed. With that being said ...

Good luck finding one that looks good and is comfortable for you.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Ok i got mine and i don't like it at all, kinda destroys the feedback and it makes it look weird due to the material that isn't on the keys is that whitish color the glow in the dark is...because its glow in the dark. Personally, I just found out it isn't for me.

9. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I can take a picture of mine if you want to see it on the MBP later today.

10. markp9114 macrumors member

I have the protouch FX in black. I've had it for 5 months now. I actually like it. Feed back is fine with mine, I see no difference. It makes the keys less noisy while typing so its good to use in class.

I like how you can just run in under the faucet and wash off any debris on it. Some of my keys on the cover are getting worn though. Not sure if thats a good sign or bad..

The only thing I hate about it is that outer lips of the cover protrude up quite a bit, so they it leaves marks on your screen when you close it. I use a microfiber screen protector to stop that from happening.

11. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Between Moshi's Cleargaurd and iSkin's Protouch, I prefer Moshi's cover more.:apple:

In those reviews you can find some images that may help.

12. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

+1. Moshi fits tight. Apart from the opaque nature of the material you won't notice it visually. I find it quite useful when travelling or eating a muffin etc. in front of the computer. I simply take it off if I'm doing heavy typing as it does alter the resistance of the keys.

13. Spencewc macrumors newbie

While reading those reviews on the Moshi Clearguard, I noticed them talking about 'keyboard off-set'. Which I guess is from using one of these keyboard protectors for a while your oils etc. can then be transferred to the screen.

If I am getting a 15" Macbook Pro (glossy), which has a glass covering over the screen, I wouldn't need a microfiber screensaver like the RadTech ScreenSavrz, right? Or will the oils from the hands still collect on the keyboard protector and then transfer to the screen and stain it even if it's glass?

Just looking also to see if people always get these in a pair, or if it's normal to just go with a keyboard protector. I don't want to be paranoid with protection, but I also don't want to stain my screen... The keyboard thing sounds great, cause I hate getting dust/junk in my keyboard.

14. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

I'd recommend one as the oils do transfer onto the glossy display.

15. Spencewc macrumors newbie

Dirty fingers.... thanks for the quick reply :). I'll order a microfiber as well then.

Thanks!

16. ITS ME DAVID thread starter macrumors 6502

If you could please thanks.

Great question.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I love my iSkin Protouch FX. I've always had the black one but with my new i5 MBP I decided to go with the purple one. The glow in the dark feature is dumb and unnecessary since the MBP has a backlit keyboard which works PERFECTLY. The iSkin Pro FX has etchings in the letters for the backlit keyboard. It lays very nicely and it extremely comfortable to type on. It's cheaper to buy it on Ebay.

Don't get the Moshi, it SUCKS! Anyone who says the Moshi is good has never used the iSkin ProTouch FX. After a short while your skin oil gets permanently infused into the clear plastic on the Moshi and begins to look cloudy and it's impossible to get rid of the cloudy look. Also the Moshi doesn't fit completely perfect on all the keys.

Attached Files:

18. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

I disagree, having used both products, Moshi's Cleargaurd stays much clearer and fits on the keyboard the same as iSkins cover. I have been using one for months and have yet to run into an issue with this product.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I wouldn't say the Moshi one sucks, but I bought that one first and I did have the cloudy issue; got annoying after a while because I had to clean it every other day.

Then I got the iSkin one and that's pretty good. It also feels higher quality and the keys don't feel mushy like they did with the Moshi cover. The problem I have is the combined Return and backslash key. I know they're trying to say money on manufacture, but that's not an excuse.

In the end I'm using the iSkin one now.

I do use a Moshi Palmguard and that thing rocks.

20. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

While I used the protector, transferring of oils was not an issue for me, it didn't happen at all since the screen is naturally separated from the keyboard.
    I haven't used this is a while
    but here's some shots, one with backlight and one w/o

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I have the iSkin version on all my laptops. However when they we're new to me, I would use them all the time but now they spend more time off the keyboard than on, simply because they can be annoying particularly when you're touch typing!!

Learning to eat and drink away from the computer is a better practice ;)

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There are a few YouTube videos proving my point. Here's one in particular. He mentions the cloudiness right in the beginning and you can easily see it. What's the point of buying a clear keyboard protector that turns hazy after a short time, it makes it hard to see the keys. That's what's unique about the iSkin, it's colored to match the keys, plus the etchings for the backlighted keyboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvOkarh5SrU

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

This looks poor in terms of the backlit keyboard, in fact all it does it show light between crevices of the keys. Also, what's up with the color?

24. ITS ME DAVID thread starter macrumors 6502

1. What brand or where did you purchase it at.
    2. Is it clear almost looks white.
    3. What color were your mbp keys silver or bkack!

25. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

It was from some random seller on ebay. It was like $1.80 so I just got it for fun.
    It's a silver keyboard protector, it's a solid silver which means that the backlight has a tough time shining through.
    The MBP keys are black obviously, you just can't really tell since the silver covers it up.