Anyone used Winclone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mntr, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mntr macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro with a 32GB Windows partition and I'd like to create an image file of the partition using Winclone, and then import this image into Parallels on Mac OS to create a Windows virtual hard drive on the Mac partition. Does anyone know how to import an image into Parallels? Also, how long does it take to create the image using Winclone? Thanks very much for your help!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why don't you just tell Parallels to use the Boot Camp partition as it's disk?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

WinClone is great for backing up and restoring your BootCamp partition.

However, you don't need to create a virtual drive out of it to use it with Parallels. Just create a new VM and you will find an option to use your BootCamp partition.

Once that's done, you will be able to boot into your BootCamp install either as a VM through Parallels, or natively. The only restriction is that you don't suspend the VM - you must shutdown when exiting Parallels (unless that's changed in version 6).

Parallels sets up different boot options for Windows which are automatically selected depending on which way you boot.

4. mntr thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. I should have mentioned that I want to remove the Bootcamp Windows partition so that I'm running Parallels directly off of the Mac OS. I wanted to clone the Windows partition so that I could then import this image into Parallels after removing the Windows partition, rather than reinstalling Windows and reloading all of my Windows software, documents, etc. I thought that I had read somewhere on this forum that this was possible.